Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Powerstroke

brnzbk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone
I am considering purchasing a 2014 F250 CC w/powerstroke 6.7l, anyone have any experience or knowledge about this engine or year?
I will be towing a fifth wheel (yet to be purchased) with a GVWR around 14K, dry wt about 11K.
Thanks for your time,
Gary
2015 F350 CC LB Lariat 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
B&W Companion
35 REPLIES 35

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Chiefcpo wrote:
I have the 2011 F350 cc, lb, drw, Lariat edition. No problem with the engine, just a death wobble when I cross R/R tracks, had steering shock replaced and now it is back again. Went to a off road store and they stated it will cost $850.00 to cure the problem, Will invest in the cure in Marck.

I had the same problem with my previous vehicle, a 2011 F350 drw King Ranch dually.

I do think part of the problem was I was running the front tires under-inflated. Shoot, they were at the 55PSI point they were at the day I bought it.

Ran them up to 75 PSI and cupping, tire wear issues went away and they didn't do the death wobble anymore.

I can understand the price to fix the death wobble if what the fellow who runs the Powerstrokehelp.com site is correct on his theory.

Here a link to a video he made. In synopsis, his idea is that the factory caster setting is not sufficient. He moved it from 1 degree to 3 degree caster and claims to have solved the death wobble problem.

Link: Powerstrokehelp.com death wobble

According to the Cummins forum, the death wobble is also an issue with the Ram trucks.

Seems it isn't just a ford problem, my new Ram so far has no issues , not yet that is. ๐Ÿ™‚

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Mad Norsky wrote:
Chiefcpo wrote:
I have the 2011 F350 cc, lb, drw, Lariat edition. No problem with the engine, just a death wobble when I cross R/R tracks, had steering shock replaced and now it is back again. Went to a off road store and they stated it will cost $850.00 to cure the problem, Will invest in the cure in Marck.

I had the same problem with my previous vehicle, a 2011 F350 drw King Ranch dually.

I do think part of the problem was I was running the front tires under-inflated. Shoot, they were at the 55PSI point they were at the day I bought it.

Ran them up to 75 PSI and cupping, tire wear issues went away and they didn't do the death wobble anymore.

I can understand the price to fix the death wobble if what the fellow who runs the Powerstrokehelp.com site is correct on his theory.

Here a link to a video he made. In synopsis, his idea is that the factory caster setting is not sufficient. He moved it from 1 degree to 3 degree caster and claims to have solved the death wobble problem.

Convincing video.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

dieseldays
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy recently just ordered one of these Dodge Steering Stabilizer he hasn't had a problem since. Originally he had checked the bearings and the pitman arm. Says he wished he would have tried one of these first. I have just ordered mine as i have the same death wobble problem he had. So i hope this helps anyone with the death wobble and try this fix before you waste money on a more expensive fix !

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo wrote:

The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Chiefcpo sounds like you have some worn out ball joints.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
up2nogood wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Agreed, I don't care what people think about my purchases but it's always good to have all info available to make a good decision.

Really !!!!!!!!!!! :S

Well...I do care what you think.;)
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Agreed, I don't care what people think about my purchases but it's always good to have all info available to make a good decision.

Really !!!!!!!!!!! :S

doublenot7
Explorer
Explorer
6.7L is a great engine. I have a 2011 with 80K miles on it and never a problem, just routine maintenance. I really haven't paid any attention to what changes there are for 2015 so i would check that out if a new Super Duty is in your future. I'd buy this truck again.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
First off I don't care what kind of truck anyone owns !!! I have had a F 350 6.7 for just about a year now and have owned diesel pickups since 1992 and thought the two 7.3 powerstrokes were the best I ever owned but this 6.7 so far is putting my old 7.3's to shame Huge power, better MPG and so far the only money I have put in it is oil&filters, fuel and DEF and if your not hauling it uses very little DEF. IMO a great truck. Just look around you can't go 2 or 3 miles down the road without seeing a F250 or F350 6.7.

For some reason we've become very concerned about what other people think/like. My neighbor doesn't think RV's are a wise purchase, luckily for me I don't really care what he thinks.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
First off I don't care what kind of truck anyone owns !!! I have had a F 350 6.7 for just about a year now and have owned diesel pickups since 1992 and thought the two 7.3 powerstrokes were the best I ever owned but this 6.7 so far is putting my old 7.3's to shame Huge power, better MPG and so far the only money I have put in it is oil&filters, fuel and DEF and if your not hauling it uses very little DEF. IMO a great truck. Just look around you can't go 2 or 3 miles down the road without seeing a F250 or F350 6.7.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP can wade through all the brand bias from a few he can secure a nice truck for his needs. The naysayers are always poised to trash Ford for any reason but the 6.7L PSD has proven to be a reliable power plant in spite of it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I have '12 6.7 PSD with ~60k miles. So far it's been a great truck that makes really good fuel economy. Not one single glitch, CEL or a trip to the shop like the other brand seams to be experiencing right now.

The updates on the '15 trucks are basically for increased HP/torque to smoke those cummins boys....Although my current truck will do that all day long! :B

They did make some changes to the problematic fuel pump, as referenced by earlier posters.

Now what exactly they did is not known to me.

For your reference brnzbk, all three brands (Ram, Ford & GM) run Bosch made fuel injection pumps.

Ram runs with the Bosch CP 3 series pump.

Ford & GM run with the Bosch CP 4.2 series pump. The first version of this pump came out with the 2011 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke and was later also adopted for use in the GM Duramax engine.

The problem area with the Bosch CP 4.2 pump seems to be in design. A twin piston V design, it will run at twice the RPM's of the engine in order to deliver fuel. But, for some reason, Bosch built the pump without wrist pins connecting the pump piston to the connecting rods.

And, in rare cases (Ricatic's, who previously posted here was one) the pump piston separates from the connecting rod and the resulting collision between parts sends aluminum shrapnel throughout the fuel system destroying the engine.

It may indeed be this wrist pin that was changed/or added to the revised 2015 but I do not know for sure. I do hope this is the case, because it would really add to the reliability of this engine.

I owned a 2011 Ford, and it served me well without problem. Many have put literally hundreds of thousands of miles on this motor, without problem.

But there are some who have had the fuel pump problem. In this small group of folks who post here on this forum, there are two who have had their fuel pump destroy itself. The aforementioned Ricatic and a Canadian poster whom I will not identify publicly.

To conclude, I would also urge you to go with the 2015 Ford if you are leaning towards that brand. As mentioned, the fuel pump in the 2015's was changed somewhat. Hopefully, it will eliminate the problems found in a few of the earlier version pump.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!