cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank - do you drink water from it?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This thread How do you get rid of smell from water in fresh-water tank led to me wonder how many people drink water from the fresh water tank in their RV.

I used to, but I stopped drinking out of the tank in about 2007 or so.

I had a Desert Fox Toy Hauler from 2003-2009. I dumped the fresh tank after every trip. I sanitized it periodically.

I have an Arctic Fox 811 truck camper now, which I bought in late 2009. I dump the tank after each trip in it too, except this past July when I forgot. (water stunk bad when I used the camper this past weekend)

I drank water out of the fresh water tank of the DF. I had a PUR water filter on the kitchen sink faucet as another level of protection.

On one trip with the DF, I woke up in the morning, and within an hour or so I felt horrible. I had no energy at all, and I felt better if I stayed horizontal. When I walked around, I was light headed and my equilibrium was out of kilter.

I spent most of the morning and part of the early afternoon chilling out in a friends zero gravity reclining lounge chair.

I suspected the water was what caused me to get sick. Maybe it wasn't, but that was my first suspicion, and I haven't drank water out of the fresh water tank since that trip, which I think was 2007

Now I carry bottled water. I wash and refill some of the bottles at home.

Do you drink water out of your fresh water tank?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
83 REPLIES 83

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't drink the water out of my fresh tank.
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
brn2romethewest wrote:
Breta
= Brita
Bob

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
We use the fresh tank water for drinking. Sanitize it and the tubing lines before every big trip. Usually (but not always) bypass the water heater during sanitization - takes too long to get the chlorine smell out of the heater tank.

Periodically sanitize our house well and piping also.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

brn2romethewest
Explorer
Explorer
Im like others who drink the water in my tank. Refill my Breta pitcher with it for fresh tasting water. I sanitize it at the begining of the season and just refill and use daily. If i park the fiver for a few weeks between trips, i just fill tank with city water. Keeps it clean. Just drain and refill. Haven't been sick yet and cuts down on plastic water bottles laying around.
2004 KZ Durango 275RK,
2006 Dodge RAM 3500 (Big Hips edition)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
GoinThisAway wrote:
Not at this time. Our TC trips are sporadic, oftentimes with several months in between, and relatively short. I don't want to spend the time and water to sanitize the tank every time we travel. And I believe that bacteria and mold can grow in a tank whether it has water in it or not as it will always be a moist (and in our area often warm) environment. So for now we carry these for drinking water.

Two of the 2.5 gallon jugs fit perfectly in one of the kitchen sinks for travel then sit on the counter with the spigot over the sink while in camp. We start out with water from faucet at home then refill as needed along the way.

However, should we get where we can travel for extended trips I would take the time to thoroughly flush and sanitize the tank and would feel comfortable drinking water from it.

Did you see that Brita just came out with these fridge water bottles with a filter in them? I don't know what they charge for them though.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
Not at this time. Our TC trips are sporadic, oftentimes with several months in between, and relatively short. I don't want to spend the time and water to sanitize the tank every time we travel. And I believe that bacteria and mold can grow in a tank whether it has water in it or not as it will always be a moist (and in our area often warm) environment. So for now we carry these for drinking water.

Two of the 2.5 gallon jugs fit perfectly in one of the kitchen sinks for travel then sit on the counter with the spigot over the sink while in camp. We start out with water from faucet at home then refill as needed along the way.

However, should we get where we can travel for extended trips I would take the time to thoroughly flush and sanitize the tank and would feel comfortable drinking water from it.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
ejfranz wrote:
We use ours all the time. I clean it with bleach once a year and keep it filled year round. Every 3-4 months I change the water if we have not been using it. Have had no issues in 9 years.
I guess BC water is a good as they say it is.:D

Similar for us but as full timers we sit for a couple months at a time without moving. Sometime longer in the summer. Would be curious how much if any bleach you add while static. I put about 4 ounces in for a 100 gallon tank and always keep it full. What are others doing.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours all the time. I clean it with bleach once a year and keep it filled year round. Every 3-4 months I change the water if we have not been using it. Have had no issues in 9 years.
I guess BC water is a good as they say it is.:D
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....we don't, because sterilizing the fresh water tank every trip out is a real PIA. If our tank was sterilized every time out, along with the replacement water, I would drink from the tank. We buy a known brand of safe bottled drinking water locally before heading out (10 or 15 gallons in dispensing bottle), and use it exclusively for drinking or washing salad/fruit or making cold juices. If we have to buy an unknown brand of drinking water on the road, we stick to well-known national brands that have a lot to lose if it ever got out that their water was contaminated...

Also, remember if you have an air pocket in your fresh water tank (probably the case with every RV fresh water tank), that air in said pocket is full of bacteria, mold spores, and what not; so you'd need to make that stored water kill these things on its own during storage.

...end//
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

AidenJ
Explorer
Explorer
Always Isn't that why they put the tank in.
2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Escargot wrote:
I carry a one gallon jug of commercially purchased water for coffee.

Pick up a bottle of distilled water. You'll be surprised how much better your coffee will taste! :W

Seriously?
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
My wife works for Starbucks, so she requires filtered or bottled water for coffee. We use the tank water to shower, wash dishes, etc.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Escargot wrote:

I'm not averse to drinking from my small 24 (?) gallon FW tank but I do prefer to reserve it for dishes, washing, and flushing. I'm also not always in the mood to refill the tank after a weekend trip, so I tend to conserve in that department.

I also sanitize my FW tank in April and October. On occasion I will sanitize one more time in mid-summer just because...

Pick up a bottle of distilled water. You'll be surprised how much better your coffee will taste! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer

I'm not averse to drinking from my small 24 (?) gallon FW tank but I do prefer to reserve it for dishes, washing, and flushing. I'm also not always in the mood to refill the tank after a weekend trip, so I tend to conserve in that department.

I also sanitize my FW tank in April and October. On occasion I will sanitize one more time in mid-summer just because...
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter