cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water

31_tundra
Explorer
Explorer
The DW and I are going to do some dry camping about 150 miles from home. What is the general consensus, fill fresh water tank prior to departure or, stop some place closer to destination to fill.
2005 Ford E-350 V-10
2020 Rockwood Signature 8332SB
20 REPLIES 20

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I always travel with full water.

1) I know its good water. Campgrounds on wells may taste fine but could still introduce microbes to your water system
2) I don't have to waste time looking for and filling the tank on the road.
3) I have water in case of emergency (i.e. getting stranded for extra days due to snow, or in the summer due to forest fire closures).
4) My trailer tows better with full water. It's basically 800 pounds of ballast sitting over the axles. I notice more side-to-side motion of the trailer with high winds if its empty.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always travel full of water - one less thing to mess with when we get there.

And there you have it, about half of the people travel empty and about half of them travel full. It comes down to whatever makes you happy unless you're overloaded to start with.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have an outside hose at home. Nine time out of ten, we take I77 to get to a destination. Rest stops north and south of our exit have water and dump stations. We fill there, and dump there if boondocking.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If I know there's water near my destination, I fill when I get there. That typically only applies if I'm going to a known location where I've been before, and know there's water.

I can feel the extra weight of a full water tank when I drive, so when I am on the first leg of a trip, I travel empty if possible.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going 150 miles, you will probably not use any water while traveling.
I would fill it at home. You know the quality of the water. And, the weight won't make any real difference in your MPG.
I fill the water tank on our 96 Southwind before we travel. I've never had any problems with the weight. And it's nice to have water while traveling.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know the quality of the water at the nearby source?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision