Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fuel tank recommendation.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We just bought a Ford 2022 Diesel F350 KR crew cab short bed. I would like to add a external 40-50g slim tank on the bed behind the cab with gravity fill only. We will be towing a 5th wheel.

Any recommendation on what to get?
Not necessary but any tank out there that will work with a hard bed cover?

Thank you

MC
15 REPLIES 15

Gener8s1
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at Titan fuel tanks. Put a 50gal in my GMC fits under my backflip cover. Great add.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Transfer Flow 40g/tool box.
Stopping when I want and where I want makes the price soon forgotten.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Durb wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
I've been starting my research in preparation for a cross country trip in a couple years. I just can't justify that much money for one of the in bed or replacement tanks. For less than $100 I can buy 3 5 gallon diesel jugs and keep them in the bed. Yes, I would obviously have to pull off the side of the road to refill, but for $900 in savings, that's not a problem for me.

I considered this approach. I even bought a 5 gallon can from HF and made a blow siphon. My ATI 46 gallon tank was around $500 with an electric transfer valve and switch. I installed it myself which was easy. In hindsight, I was glad I went with the permanent install because of the convenience. Remember, you will have to fill those jugs on the front end at the fuel station. and lift them out of your bed with the trailer attached.

14 gal caddy is like $120. For a 1 time deal, I'd just suck it up and know I gotta get fuel every couple hundred miles. And maybe a 5ver jug for peace of mind (I'm the guy who hates stopping and 3 of 4 times will pull in with low fuel light on for the last 20 minutes vs stopping 50 miles sooner, LOL!)
Been doing that for years. Couldn't haul a slip tank in the old truck with TC.
I now do the same thing, but depending on the trip, I use a, now old, 50 gal cube with an electric pump/fuel nozzle that I wired to a trailer hitch plug. Not as handy as gravity flow, but nice to pack a whole extra tank of fuel + some. Of course I bought it at work, so it cost me $0, lol.

If one was industrious, a used slip tank off Craigslist and s few parts, could rig up a semi permanent gravity flow system pretty cheap, compared to buying new with an install kit.

Which btw is what the OP is after, not a truck bed full of jerry cans.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
I've been starting my research in preparation for a cross country trip in a couple years. I just can't justify that much money for one of the in bed or replacement tanks. For less than $100 I can buy 3 5 gallon diesel jugs and keep them in the bed. Yes, I would obviously have to pull off the side of the road to refill, but for $900 in savings, that's not a problem for me.

I considered this approach. I even bought a 5 gallon can from HF and made a blow siphon. My ATI 46 gallon tank was around $500 with an electric transfer valve and switch. I installed it myself which was easy. In hindsight, I was glad I went with the permanent install because of the convenience. Remember, you will have to fill those jugs on the front end at the fuel station. and lift them out of your bed with the trailer attached.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tractor Supply has an assortment of aluminum and steel ! In years past I was a fiberglass mechanic and have made two for my trucks !

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II

I can't believe that there isn't a reasonably priced 15-20 gallon poly tank with a hand crank pump available... Northern Tool has this one, but $320 seems a little absurd. A hand crank pump costs about $50. The tank should cost about $75-80. For $200 for a complete package I would consider it, but $319 is a little steep still. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200711554_200711554?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Fuel%20Caddies&utm_campaign=Flofast&utm_content=66399&gclid=CjwKCAiAp8iMBhAqEiwAJb94z3c9nTBeu6u7ppwPfYLdp08qgcNBewU_q0-g0KHSuxeRCXu7PQtEnBoC4t8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I installed an Aluminum Tank Industries 46 gallon auxiliary tank in my truck bed. With cap, it measures 19" tall. My tonneau is a tri-fold and sits on top of the bed rails. I installed a kayak hatch in the tonneau to access the filler cap. Works perfect.

I expected the tank to pay for itself by the middle of next year by reduced cost of where I buy diesel. With the 67% increase of diesel in my area, not having to fuel on the road has already offset the tank cost. The tank was worth it from the outset due to the added convenience. Haven't fueled with the trailer attached since the tank install.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The transferflow system sure appears to complicate what is easily accomplished with a gravity system with a check valve.
But I’ve used neither, so simply speculating.
What is the advantage of say the transfer flow “computer controlled system” vs a typical automatic fill gravity system?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both KSH and Transfer Flow. The essential difference is that Transfer Flow automatically pumps its fuel into the main tank as needed. With KSH you manually switch between truck's tank and the KSH tank. (You don't want either tank to run dry.)

I liked the Transfer Flow because you can relax and forget about how much fuel is in which tank -- you just monitor the combined total.

Transfer Flow has a number of authorized installers around the country.

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
Try https://kshmarine.com/ they are in Lake Havasu, great products I have a 75 gal in bed with tool box that they built to my specs many years ago. They have lots of products or will build.

chris3403
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this one.

While it says 60 gallons it will only hold approximately 53.5 gallons.
I've been to all 50 States but my RV hasn't.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Transferflow gets my vote!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you.

I was told by the dealership that a low profile in the bed will not void the warranty. I want to keep it simple.

I have a friend that installed a DEE ZEE but I was wondering if there was anything better.

MC

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Contact Transfer Flo in California and talk to them.

I referred a friend to them, he conferred with them, purchased it and they shipped it to him, and a local garage installed it for him. This was a replacement tank, larger of course, that replaced the one he had.

Now I'm trying to get him to buy one that sits in the bed of the pickup, low profile.