cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full air ride modification

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
Ok friends, this is a project that I have been looking forward to for a few months now.
Took delivery on the 2018 F550 in August of 2018 and have been using it for a daily driver since then. It was too late to go to the coast fishing so wife and I went to Kalispell for a weekend just to stretch the legs out and see how it handled. As we ordered it with a heavier suspension it was not a surprise to feel every bump and crack in the roads, the Okanagan weights in around 7000 lbs loaded up so we thought it would squash it down a bit, this came out to be a 2โ€ difference from loaded to empty.
Still a pretty rough ride with the camper on, shook thinks up a little.
After shopping around for a while we pulled the trigger on a Kelderman 4 link air ride suspension package for the rear and the front kit that replace the front coil springs. We had them ship the kits to Sweet Grass MT (At the Border Storage) as the charge to get it across the border and up to my house in Canada was way too much. We are going South tomorrow to pick it up.

Pulled the body off the other day to clean up the frame and get the truck ready for the project, much to my surprise I found some cracks between the front boxes and the structure of the deck.

So out came the welder and another project began.
Ground out the cracks and welded them up. (Aluminium that has been powder coated is a real B*&^h to weld(difficult to clean properly). Purchased a ยผโ€ sheet of Aluminium and welded it to the front all the way around both boxes and the frame for more strength.

Now how to make all the burnt paint look good again? Raptor makes an excellent bed liner/rocker guard that is tint able. So after 6 hours of prep work and 2 coats it looks great! I recommend this stuff for any job like this.

So off to the border we go. Pictures of the progress will soon come.
38 REPLIES 38

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoonDockin wrote:
Kayteg,, do those sulastic hangers really improve the ride empty? How about under load?

They do. Not that dually will become a Cadillac, but noticeable improvement.
They suppose to improve loaded ride as well, but with my 5000 lb camper it gets soft anyway, so can't really tell the difference under the load.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
What is the rated payload capacity of your truck, Wes?

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg,, do those sulastic hangers really improve the ride empty? How about under load?
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is about 10' long bed, so the axle has to be at least 5 ft behind the cabin.
Those welds look poorly done from start. No penetration.
Will look for pictures on air ride.
I put sulastic hangers on mine dually and after restarting the season 2 days ago, drove some with empty truck as well. No big complains about ride on good roads.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the axle would be farther back on a 550?
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

markowwes
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
Good luck on the project... look forward to updates.

Interesting visual dichotomy of the wheel wells- the rear is tiny while the front is huge.

Ya Ford does **** like that on the commercial trucks, the black fender flares make it look like a monster truck. I have a couple 1 liter bottles of the Raptor liner left over from the deck, I am going to pull off the fender flares and spray them along with the hold down brackets for the camper, should make it look a lot better.

It's an Alum-Line deck.

Wes

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck. Interesting that the body failed. What kind was that?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck on the project... look forward to updates.

Interesting visual dichotomy of the wheel wells- the rear is tiny while the front is huge.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
This looks like an interesting thread. Looking forward to hearing how you like the air ride update.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)