cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full hook-up with a pop-up?

bradycmb
Explorer
Explorer
Are there pop-ups out there with full sewer hook-ups? We were told at a recent rv camp show that pop-ups with toilets are only cassette pottys and cannot hook into the sewer. I saw a Fleetwood Niagra that was advertised as a full hook-up. Thank you for your input!
19 REPLIES 19

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Wine Maker wrote:
aftermath wrote:
Thanks Wine Maker. I will try to find one of these in the area and see if I can take a look under it.

Wine Maker? I am a wine drinker. Perhaps we should meet up sometime and compare our qualities and strengths.

Hahaha. Yes that sounds good. I can make as much as you want to drink. 🙂

not legally IIRC.
bumpy 🙂

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
Thanks Wine Maker. I will try to find one of these in the area and see if I can take a look under it.

Wine Maker? I am a wine drinker. Perhaps we should meet up sometime and compare our qualities and strengths.

Hahaha. Yes that sounds good. I can make as much as you want to drink. 🙂
Happy in the woods.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Wine_Maker
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

Been a while since I visited.

I can weight in on this as well from the Rockwood pop up side.

The current High wall pop ups made by Rockwood contain a 12 gallon black tank with a conventional 4" outlet like you would see on a typical TT.

They also contain 2 - 6 gallon grey tanks. One is under the sink and one is under the shower. They are connected so they share capacity for a total of 12 gallons of grey water holding. The grey drains through a single 1 1/2 discharge located on the drivers side next to the 4" black discharge.

I hope this helps.
Happy in the woods.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
No problem.

I've always captured my water but I don't see a technical problem using the cap with a garden hose. I've thought about a much smaller version of a gray water tote (like a 6 gal Aquatainer) and the garden hose adapter.
I only got those caps because that's all that was available at the time.

Look up under before spending much time researching holding tanks to add on. There's cables, floor braces, fresh water tank and the roof lift mechanism that are all blocking areas that you could install a gray holding tank. The hinges of that carrier I show above is actually anchored to the cover of the whiffletree box. That's all that was available.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
WOW, thanks a ton bondebond. This is exactly the information I was looking for. I have not been able to spend much time looking at the new trailer but I did take a look under it and saw the line from the sink to the drain, no holding tank to be found.

I will start researching holding tanks in hopes that we can add one. I do know that they come in many sizes and shapes.

I noticed that you have added a cap that has the garden hose outlet incorporated. This is what I use on my trailer when we are in a place where it is acceptable to drain gray water into the surrounding bushes. Do you see any problems with doing this?
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Highlander Sequoya so let me speak from experience.

Yes, there is a 6 gallon black holding tank. A real one with real 4" bayonet fitted drain outlet.

You are correct in that the gray water line also terminates at this same outlet and there is no gray water holding tank. Your blue tote IS the gray water holding tank.

When setting up at camp, pull your blue tote around and connect it via typical sewer hose to the outlet and open the blade valve for the smaller gray line that feeds into the outlet. That gray line is supplied by the kitchen sink and the shower drain. Just leave the blade valve open all of the time until it comes time to dump your blue tote. Close the valve and take the tote somewhere appropriate for dumping. While that is gone, the sink can be used for a minimal amount but not recommended. The plumbing holds about half a gallon before it will start to come up through the floor drain of the shower. Yes, I've seen it happen.

When you're ready to dump the black tank, you have two options. 1) unhook and take down the PUP and tow it to the dump station and dump like a regular TT does or 2) use the blue tote or other container to drain the black holding tank and take that to the dump station.

I just dump on the day we're leaving just like everyone else with a TT. My process is much faster than most others because I don't have a large black tank and I don't have a gray water tank to dump. Cleaning out the black holding tank is challenging and different because you cannot access it when dumping as the roof is down and the folding bathroom walls block access to it anyway. I just use the water hose and spray up in there gently and catch all of the run off with the sewer hose held under the outlet.

Now the rub for me that really motivated me to make a change up was that I do not want my blue tote being filled with black water. It's a whole different ballgame on how I might handle something that contains gray water (sink water 99%, shower 1% of the time) versus black water. A very small amount of black water would dribble out of the holding tank during camping and get into the blue tote. No thanks. Even if it was sealed up tightly, there would be residual gunk on the outlet from previous black tank dumpings that I didn't want to connect the blue tote back up to.

I cut the gray water line off of the black water outlet, capped it off with a rubber cap and hose clamp. I then installed a second 4" bayonet outlet right next to the black water outlet and ran the gray water lines to it. I carry two sewer hoses now: one standard 20' length for dumping the black water at the dump station and one 10" length for connecting the gray outlet to the blue tote that sits directly under it.

It works like a champ and eliminates cross contamination. I will include a picture. The outlet on the right is the new one I added. I had to get a few fittings from Lowes to make the transitions from 2.5" dia gray to the 4" outlet but it was straightforward.

In between the outlets, you can barely see the silver hose clamp holding the rubber cap on where the gray line originally joined into the 4" outlet.

Here's another view so you can see what is going on with the plumbing.

Original sizes can be viewed here.

This works but it's not as good as it should have been from Fleetwood. My opinion is that they should have gone with two holding tanks like typical TTs have or they should have gone with a cassette potty and no holding tank like typical PUPs. This half of one, half of the other business is quite bothersome. Fleetwood got the picture as I don't think they did it this way in the follow model years. It is my understanding for what I've read of other Highlander owners that they have gray holding tanks. Adding one is on my way-down-the-road list of things to do but I doubt it will ever happen. There's just not enough clear area under the subflooring for a tank of any sort.

Also, because the outlet is so low to the ground, I decided to get the Barker 15 gallon Tote-Along made for folding trailers. It is low profile and does the trick. Since then, I've done an axle over/under conversion and have an additional 6" of clearance (I HIGHLY recommend doing this for Highlander PUPs) and could use any tote I wanted. Below is a picture of the carrier I built to store the tote under the rear bumper of the PUP.

And on "flipping" the axle, which is a misnomer, I have some before and after pictures to share.

Before:

After:
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Hose to the blue tote and empty at dump station.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter and her family just picked up a 2006 Fleetwood Highlander. It is fully loaded with shower, toilet (not a cassette), stove w/oven and microwave. It has a small black tank but no gray holding tank. I am still confused about how you would manage such a trailer. There is a drain with two valves, one for black and one for gray. The main drain is low like you would see on a hard sided trailer. The gray valve is at the end of a drain that runs directly to the sink. So, if you want to use the sink you have to open the valve but where is the water going to go? It is too low for a bucket. Boy, I am confused. Why didn't they put in a gray tank?

The unit came with a blue tote and I suppose you are to drain the gray into the tote. On a typical PU, the sink drains into a bucket via a small section of hose. People take the bucket to the nearest bush and empty it. I have seen this over and over again in campgrounds all over the place. If I were to run a hose from my drain to a nearby bush I would probably be arrested.

Anybody have one of these trailers? It looks to be a very nice unit but the water management has me a bit confused.
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
bradycmb wrote:
We were told at a recent rv camp show that pop-ups with toilets are only cassette pottys and cannot hook into the sewer.

Sounds like they were pushing you towards a bigger rig. 🙂
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest pain on our old 625D was the dual drains on opposing sides. You had to finagle hoses and rig them properly to drain while rolling around underneath a slideout. Royal PITA!
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

the_techwriter
Explorer
Explorer
Our PUP has the cassette toilet, but we use the full hookup sites for grey water drainage (which is usually more than the black water). With a short hose and a few minutes, we can disconnect the sink drain and dump the cassette tank down the same hole in the ground. I like the convenience of the cassette. It allows easy transport to bathrooms at sites that do not have full hookups, so it is win-win regardless of the location.
2010 Viking 2465 SST PUP
2000 Ford Explorer w/WDH
Me, DW, and Harvey the wonder dog!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
For a few years now some manufacturers are building the larger pups with black tanks.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of our has a popup that has a full shower and a toilet. They use full hookup sites. She says that the shower produces too much humidity, so they normally don't use it, but they do use their potty.

I do not remember the brand, but it is a high wall popup.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW