cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace on while moving

Nevrdun
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling in cooler weather and I am wondering if I can run furnace at the lowest setting while on the road? Assuming adequate power to run the fan and propane supply.

Thank you.

May I become the person my dog thinks I am

19 REPLIES 19

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
KKELLER14K wrote:
No one said generator too. I always run fridge and heater with no problems. I fire that Genny up about an hour before I'm ready to quit driving. I turn on my electric bed pad to HIGH and have a super awesome warm bed to crawl into if it is cold outside.

There is another way. I have a couple of oversized hot water bottles. They heat the bed and keep quite warm for hours. All that is needed is some hot water. I use a kettle.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
And no I do not turn off the refrigerator when fueling.
Finally, someone willing to admit this online. I don't either.

I don't have occasion to run my furnace often, but I did going through Flagstaff at 23ยฐ to keep the cat warm...and the pipes from freezing.

I don't either...

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Nevrdun wrote:
We are traveling in cooler weather and I am wondering if I can run furnace at the lowest setting while on the road? Assuming adequate power to run the fan and propane supply.

Thank you.

try it and see, if it is still warm it worked.

most people leave there fridge going but they would never know if they had a blow out or not as they use newer fridges with DSI so it will blow out then wait a min and relight.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
And no I do not turn off the refrigerator when fueling.
Finally, someone willing to admit this online. I don't either.

I don't have occasion to run my furnace often, but I did going through Flagstaff at 23ยฐ to keep the cat warm...and the pipes from freezing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Absolutely run your furnace and your refrigerator while driving. And no I do not turn off the refrigerator when fueling. The flame if it is even on is 30 feet away from where I'm fueling. And here in California we have vapor recovery at the pumps. I can't remember the last time I even detected a whiff of gasoline vapor at a gas station.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
the ...bluetooth t-stat I installed a few years ago..
Excellent.. thanks. I've had a Lux with a remote for years, but the remote feature is not working anymore. That was very nice for turning up the heat from bed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
No one said generator too. I always run fridge and heater with no problems. I fire that Genny up about an hour before I'm ready to quit driving. I turn on my electric bed pad to HIGH and have a super awesome warm bed to crawl into if it is cold outside.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been running the furnace at 60 when traveling in cold temperatures on propane for several years. I don't believe that RVs have huge drafts through them when towing.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
stevenal wrote:
When traveling in sub-freezing temperature, the heat stays on low to prevent frozen pipes and doggies. No problems yet.

X2, the alternative may end up being a busted pipe by trips endโ€ฆ

3 tons

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made sure I bought a truck with a back window that opened. I use a "donut" between the camper and truck and there is a nice flow of air into the camper if I leave a vent partially open. Whether is it hot or cold, the air from the truck a/c or heater will keep the camper at a reasonable temperature.

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
When traveling in sub-freezing temperature, the heat stays on low to prevent frozen pipes and doggies. No problems yet.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I run mine, but not at the "lowest" setting.
I set it to about 60 degrees or so.

About an hour before I reach my destination, I turn it up warmer with the bluetooth t-stat I installed a few years ago. THe vieo shows it in a travel trailer I had for a short time. I moved the t-stat to my AF992.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Yes and Yes
I do it all the time with no blowouts
Just remember to turn off the propane while fueling up.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have pulled my TT many thousands of miles and I have never had the fridge blow out. My furnace has never blown out in 60 mph winds so why would it while driving? The thermocouple would shut the gas off if the furnace stopped working properly.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired