cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furnace problems

Drm4drm0416
Explorer
Explorer
yesterday my propane ran out so i went and refilled it and got evrything turned back on and now the fan will run and the furnace will ignite and heat starts running for about 10 secs and then shuts off. i reset the thermostat by turning it off and back on again and the problem continues. It will ignite and run for 10 secs and during that time i hear rapid ticks and then it will shut off again> that will continue for 3 times and then it stops igniting. Thanks for any advice recieved
7 REPLIES 7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you ran out of propane you probably didn't turn off appliances that were using the propane, so propane lines were depleted of any pressure
So when you refilled you cylinder and then valved it into service the demand downstream caused the excess flow device to trip

Close service valve....wait 30 sec. then SLOWLY open service valve
Turn on stove top burners on high to PLACE A DEMAND on REGULATOR and ESTABLISH FLOW (there is no air to bleed/purge)

With stove top burners in service try furnace again...
It may take a few attempts to get flow established at furnace
(Furnace is shutting down due to lack of 'Flame Proving' cause falme is not lighting off due to lack of propane flow)

And how come you ran out.......do you only have one propane cyclinder??
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I agree with opening the valves slowly, but I would go a step or two further.

Turn off the tanks.
Disconnect the lines from the tanks.
Try to light the stove with the lines disconnected. (getting) pressure out of the lines.
Turn off the stove.

Reconnect the lines.
Turn the valves on VERY SLOWLY until you hear the valve click then you can open them up.
Go light the stove again.

Once the stove purges the air out of the lines then try the furnace again.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
Dirtpig wrote:
you may want to try closing the tank valves and then reopening them VERY slowly. Also not sure how many times you have tried to use furnace but there could be some air in the lines so lighting a stove for 30sec may help that.

X2
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

MBarmer
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like something is stopping up the airflow. I live in the delta and we have lady bugs terribly bad. They've gotten into my exhaust before and completely clogged the furnace. I had to have furnace taken out and cleaned to make it work again. Could also be a dirt dauber clogging it.

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
You have air in the line. Bleed at the range top burners until they light. Then furnace should light.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
you may want to try closing the tank valves and then reopening them VERY slowly. Also not sure how many times you have tried to use furnace but there could be some air in the lines so lighting a stove for 30sec may help that.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.