cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I can't get my furnace to turn on. If I have the selector set on heat and the fan on the on position I can hear the relay click when I move the temperature up and down, if the fan is set on auto I hear nothing. The blower doesn't kick in or anything. This is my first TT so I'm going to need some patience. Any help would be appreciated
27 REPLIES 27

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
The blower starting triggers all of the other functions of the furnace. Most furnace control boards have an LED on it that will flash blink codes to help you troubleshoot. If it is not lit up, there's no power to the furnace or the control board isn't working.

I had my furnace fill up with water due to an improperly mounted exhaust port, and the blower still worked, it just wouldn't stay lit. Definitely make sure power is going where it is supposed to go. I hate to say this, but if you find power at the terminal block and you can't get at the control board, you are going to have to pull the furnace out to troubleshoot it. Fortunately it is easier than it looks once you find all the mounting screws.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If you've done all that has been suggested then it's time to get out the volt meter and start tracing some wires and voltages from the thermostat to the furnace.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I will give all of these a try. I understand that if the blower won't turn the furnace won't ignite, hence no heat.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
W, mentioning the 12v power test jump started my memory . ๐Ÿ™‚

vancil, Years ago , when i had this problem, the first time i had to tap the furnace while i tried to start it up. I had a flat spot in the motor, which i was told is a common occurrence. I used a hammer to moderately bang on it to free up the motor, while it was on attempting to ignite. After tapping 5 or 6x, it started.
Another time, same rv , same furnace, i turned the unit on and took the rv for a drive, bumpy roads jarred the motor and it fired up.

2nd time it happened ... A few years later on another rv, i had to replace the circuit board.

Being you tried many things, there are 3 modes that that operate things in an rv.

IM not sure if the following would be waste of time or not, but its something i did to try to narrow down the my furnace issue by narrowing down its power source. I tried to operate my furnace using the 3 methods separately. I would find it interesting, if the furnace worked in only one of those modes and not the other.

Standing alone , when you are NOT hooked up to any power just running off the battery.

Plugged into shore power

plugged into the tow vehicle (12v source) and not into shore power

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You really need to measure voltage with a meter at the furnace board. If the time delay relay has failed or doesn't have power, the blower will not turn. Blower no turnee, furnace no workee.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I did flip the mechanics switch off and they're was no difference. My thermostat is not the digital sort. No buttons, just switches.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
Vancil wrote:
Disconnecting power and resetting thermostat caused no change.

That won't reset most modern thermostats as they are powered down every time you disconnect the battery. They need a specific set of keystrokes to be reset. Here's the reset for a particular type of Dometic thermostat - Reset You should Google your particular thermostat model for reset instructions.

Also, you should try flipping the "mechanic" switch to off and see what happens.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Vancil wrote:
I have swapped out all of the fuses that I can find for the unit.

If you don't get the blower to operate you'll never get the furnace to heat.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Vancil wrote:

That won't reset most modern thermostats as they are powered down every time you disconnect the battery. They need a specific set of keystrokes to be reset. Here's the reset for a particular type of Dometic thermostat - Reset

Also, you should try flipping the "mechanic" switch to off and see what happens.

2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I have swapped out all of the fuses that I can find for the unit.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
vancil, its designed to need the blower to come on in order for the furnace to ignite.
start simple , Could it be a fuse, even though it appears to be good, often they are not good. Maybe try to swap fuses from another location with one that you know is good.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you followed through the troubleshooting steps from the manual?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer
I've located the "mechanics switch" I presume. A simple on and off switch near the back of the unit. It is in the "on" position.

Vancil
Explorer
Explorer