cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator and Microwave

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I searched the forums and found most questions concerning generators were about running an A/C unit. My question is about running a microwave. The posts referring to microwaves didn't go into detail about wattages. I don't need it to run my AC as it is getting pretty cool this time of year.

I just bought the Champion 73536i inverter generator online. I have the Champion 3500/4000 watt non-inverter generator, but I will be going to a vintage racing event at Watkins glen, NY and wanted a quieter generator.

This Champion generator puts out 1700 running watts. My current microwave uses 1650 watts (input). The microwave got dropped yesterday while taking it back into the house and damaged. I will be buying a new microwave and want to make sure it will work with the new gen. I realize I can run the numbers for wattage, but that sometimes doesn't tell the whole story.

I will be running the converter which will be powering a few lights (I converted to LED lights), the fridge board, and the water pump. I am willing to make sure the pump is turned off when the microwave is operated. I'm looking for "real-world" experiences with these types of generators and microwaves. I am thinking of buying a microwave that draws a max of 1200 watts input. A microwave doesn't have the large inrush current of a motor, but it will have some because of the inductors in the circuitry.

So, do you agree that a 1200W (input) microwave should be OK? If not, then do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve
11 REPLIES 11

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
3oaks wrote:
"The full power cycling method on most microwaves is easy to notice by the noise change as it goes on and off."

The only time I hear that is when our microwave is set on a "defrost" cycle. And it's not a Panasonic.
Are you using some mid range cooking power? Not going to cycle on full power.
There could be other brands that do the same as the Panasonic Inverter series.
What is it?

Yes, what I meant was power-cycling when the power is set to a mid-range or less. When its set to full power, it just stays on full the whole time.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
3oaks wrote:
"The full power cycling method on most microwaves is easy to notice by the noise change as it goes on and off."

The only time I hear that is when our microwave is set on a "defrost" cycle. And it's not a Panasonic.
Are you using some mid range cooking power? Not going to cycle on full power.
There could be other brands that do the same as the Panasonic Inverter series.
What is it?

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
subcamper wrote:
The microwave got dropped yesterday while taking it back into the house and damaged. I will be buying a new microwave and want to make sure it will work with the new gen. I realize I can run the numbers for wattage, but that sometimes doesn't tell the whole story.
Look closely at the Panasonic 'inverter' microwaves. These microwaves draw less power when set on a lower power level. Typical microwave just cycles the megatron on/off at reduced cooking power. Panasonic gets down to 600 watts before the megatron cycles.

So if you are charging batteries etc with generator just use a lower power setting. If plugged in or no other loads just crank it up.

Good call on the inverter microwaves. I currently have a Panasonic inverter microwave as our main microwave in the kitchen. It doesn't do the usual full-power cycling for lower power levels. The full power cycling method on most microwaves is easy to notice by the noise change as it goes on and off.

Steve

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
subcamper wrote:
The microwave got dropped yesterday while taking it back into the house and damaged. I will be buying a new microwave and want to make sure it will work with the new gen. I realize I can run the numbers for wattage, but that sometimes doesn't tell the whole story.
Look closely at the Panasonic 'inverter' microwaves. These microwaves draw less power when set on a lower power level. Typical microwave just cycles the megatron on/off at reduced cooking power. Panasonic gets down to 600 watts before the megatron cycles.

So if you are charging batteries etc with generator just use a lower power setting. If plugged in or no other loads just crank it up.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies.

Good point, oldfordman, on the battery charging load. You're right, battery would be depleted overnight and first thing in the morning I would start gen and turn on coffeemaker or pop a breakfast burrito into the microwave.

Steve

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe there is a start-up surge in the microwave, since it's main draw isn't starting something mechanical. Electrical engineer I'm not, so don't quote me.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
My Honda 2000i ran the microwaves in the 3 trailers we've had.

Same with us. We have a Honda 2000 and no problem running the microwave, but as the MW cycles, the generator does too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Oldfordman
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:
I searched the forums and found most questions concerning generators were about running an A/C unit. My question is about running a microwave. The posts referring to microwaves didn't go into detail about wattages. I don't need it to run my AC as it is getting pretty cool this time of year.

I just bought the Champion 73536i inverter generator online. I have the Champion 3500/4000 watt non-inverter generator, but I will be going to a vintage racing event at Watkins glen, NY and wanted a quieter generator.

This Champion generator puts out 1700 running watts. My current microwave uses 1650 watts (input). The microwave got dropped yesterday while taking it back into the house and damaged. I will be buying a new microwave and want to make sure it will work with the new gen. I realize I can run the numbers for wattage, but that sometimes doesn't tell the whole story.

I will be running the converter which will be powering a few lights (I converted to LED lights), the fridge board, and the water pump. I am willing to make sure the pump is turned off when the microwave is operated.I will be running the converter which will be powering a few lights (I converted to LED lights), the fridge board, and the water pump. I am willing to make sure the pump is turned off when the microwave is operated. I'm looking for "real-world" experiences with these types of generators and microwaves. I am thinking of buying a microwave that draws a max of 1200 watts input. A microwave doesn't have the large inrush current of a motor, but it will have some because of the inductors in the circuitry.

So, do you agree that a 1200W (input) microwave should be OK? If not, then do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

Just be aware that the Converter can be charging batteries and depending on the state of charge, that draw can be another 400 watts of load when in he charge mode. An example would be when boondocking and you wake up. First thing might be a trip to the microwave to warm up some coffee. Might be a struggle for the generator as microwaves do draw a fair surge current on startup.
Life is full of choices. I choose to have fun!:)

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
My Honda 2000i ran the microwaves in the 3 trailers we've had.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Should be OK ... my MW is rated at 1250w input, 1000w rf output and runs fine from my 1500 watt Yamaha ef2000is
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed