cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator or Inverter

SgtMark
Explorer
Explorer
Im sure this has been discussed before on here but that was before my time lol.. Going to purchase a power supply for my camper but not sure of what I need. Honda tells me Inverter at $2200.00 and Champion dealer says standard type generator. Not real interested in dropping $2200.00 for a Honda but if that is the best so be it lol.
21 REPLIES 21

TheWB
Explorer
Explorer
The big difference between the two models is the purity of the AC signal. Regular gennys make your standard 1 phase 120v AC. Usually good enough to power your TT. Some people would gawk at the idea of powering up sensitive computer devices such as laptops to this type of power. I think it's fine and do it myself with surge protectors.

A most simple explanation of the inverter genny's: produce 3 phase AC power and take those three phases to create a strong DC voltage that feed into an inverter. The inverter takes that DC voltage and creates a super clean distortion free single phase capable of powering sensitive devices. They are typically quieter than your average genny, lighter, and produce less power per cubic inch of the frame it is contained within. Much more technology involved in the inverter, so more money to purchase.

I've got both. I take the 4000w champion genny out when the rooftop AC is required. It's got wheels and a handle. It ways obout 130 pounds filled with 5 gallons of fuel. Technically I can lift it out of my truck, set it on the ground and roll it, but it's much easier with 2 people. The Inverter weighs about 50 pounds. Carrying handle. Only holds about a gallon of fuel. Super easy for me to manuever around myself. And much quieter than the regular genny. But doesn't have enough guts to power the rooftop AC unless I buy two of them and run them in parallel. Aint happening. I've got a couple batteries and 2 100 watt solar panels, so I've got plenty of power.

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
Some places only allow inverters due to noise. You might want to check on that.
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
SgtMark wrote:
I mainly camp in parks that have full hookups but I do go to refuge areas (off the grid)to fish and camp. Generator use is also limited there. I do appreciate all the input cause Inverter Generators are new to me. I think I'm leaning toward the Champion 4000/3500, its reasonably priced and should fill my needs.
Thanks again, I'm sure I will think up some more questions before I get this down pat lol.

They make a 3650/4500 now for the same cost as the 3500/4000. The 3650/4500 has a slightly larger engine, but the sound rating and everything else is the same. I run mine in a box that I built for it and it's pretty quiet. I picked mine up from Tractor Supply.

West_Coast_Canu
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a 2000 and 3100 Champion Inverter generators. They are great generators and for the price, they can't be beat. My 3100 is 85 lbs and I have no problem lifting it in and out of my truck. I had the champion 3500 contractor generator and it was way too noisy. If you plan to run sensitive electronics, go with an inverter generator, the sine wave is clean where it is not on a non Inverter one.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna,
Those are very interesting test results. I wouldn't have expected that. Did you do that test yourself? I would assume those just happened to be the generators you had on hand.
I'd be curious to see something between a regular and inverter gen. of the same size. Comparing a 15kw to a 3kw seems like it could skew the results one way or another. Do you have any numbers for a 3kW non-inverter gen?

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 3500/4000 and would go for the 3800 they have now just for the head room. That said we are Boondockers and would never run the beast where others could hear it. It's not the loudest until it's not yours. lol
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Our 8.5 KW Onan diesel gen/set in our coach is not very noisy the camper next to us can't here it run. but I always ask them if it is a bother prior to running it. yes, even during the day. But in 15 years we only have 47 hours on it. ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

SgtMark
Explorer
Explorer
I mainly camp in parks that have full hookups but I do go to refuge areas (off the grid)to fish and camp. Generator use is also limited there. I do appreciate all the input cause Inverter Generators are new to me. I think I'm leaning toward the Champion 4000/3500, its reasonably priced and should fill my needs.
Thanks again, I'm sure I will think up some more questions before I get this down pat lol.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
Just get the Champion 2800/3100 from Costco for like $7-800 bucks, delivered to your door weather or not your a Costco member.. It has the 30A rv plug on it and quiet..

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can see the usefulness of a generator but I have never "needed" one for the camping we do. We lost power for several hours a couple of times but after all, we were camping.

If I were a boondocker, I would go with the most efficient model, if I camped with others, I would go with quiet. At home I have a 6 kw wheeled behemoth that weighs a ton not to practical on the road.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's smart to have a generator period. Half my home town is without electricity this morning. It's nice to have something to run a few lights and the refrigerator. With that said, anything over 100lbs can be cumbersome for one person. Just as an example, my 2 Champions are less than 50lbs each and can be run in parallel when I need to run the a/c in the trailer. I also like the idea that if one unit goes down, I still have some electricity. My $.02.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
SgtMark, How and when do you intend to use your optional power source? If it is just for an occasional overnight in a parking lot, then I would suggest saving half your money and going with a high quality generator. I tried the "almost big enough" Honda for several years before upgrading to a 3500 watt Champion generator. I want my Air Conditioning when I want it. I mostly park in parks with full hookups.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where we camp here in Virginia and along the Blue Ridge parkway we run into Generator run time restrictions just about everywhere at the public camp sites.

With this in mind I beefed up my batteries and associated battery cables, replace my Incandescent automotive type bulbs for LEDs and exerise as less power drain as I can to do in an one day/night run off the batteries for the things we want to use when camping off the power grid. The plan for us is to not run down the battery bank lower than its 50% charge state which is around 12.0VDC

Then the next morning at 8Am when allowed to run our small 2KW Honds Inverter type generator we can re-charge our battery bank back up to its 90% charge state in a quick three hour generator run time. Now we are ready to do the next day/night run off the batteries.

Been doing this method since 2009 and have the routine down pretty good now as it is all second nature for us. Just now thinking about about adding solar panels to the off-road POPUP trailer so we would only need to run our 2KW generator for maybe one hour each day and then let the solar panels finish the 90% charge or more before we lose the high sun. My battery bank like to see around 53AMPS DC Current when first hit with 14.4VDC boost charge voltage and after 15-20 minutes this DC CURRENT will taper back to around 8 DC AMPS or so which is readially available from a small solar panel setup in high sun...

This is how we do our OFF-ROAD camping which does not include air conditioning or high wattage appliances like the microwave etc... When camping in the cold weather season running the furnace 12VDC fan motor all night long is another challenge as well.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
What do you plan on running?

How strong are you - can you lift out a 135 pound generator and get it back into the pickup at the end of the trip, or will you drive off - figuring you will save well over $600 on chiropractic visits if you do not put the generator back in the pickup?

Many buy 2 generators - Honda inverter type that are 47 pounds and rated at 1,600 watts, but are called Honda 2000 due to it's 15 minute rating of 2,000 watts. You can link two together, and get 4,000 watts to run a rooftop A/C in two easy to move around packages. And they are pretty quiet. Less noise than a typical diesel engine at idle.

The Honda 3000 watt generator is a little larger, much more weight, and still barely enough power to restart a air conditioner on a hot day. Yes it takes more power to run the A/C on a hot day.

If you just want to recharge the battery, then a 1,000 watt Honda is a little less money, slightly lighter, and will run just the charger, tv set, and perhaps charge some laptops and other small devices.

Then there is a 'inverter' - that takes in 12 volts from the battery, and puts out say 300 watts max square wave power (for only about $50) or pure sine wave power (for about $200 - $500).

Due to battery size, running a air conditioner is not practical. It 'could' be done, but would take 800+ watts of solar panels, and a special 2,000+ watt sine wave inverter to run the high torque compressor motor.

Recharging the batteries with solar is very practical. Your RV will consume about 35 AH of power each day, or about what one 120 watt solar panel will put out in one day. You can get the 140 watt for about $229 at this place. SunElec.com Then a 20 amp PWM controller, some grey direct burial wire from home depot, and you will have a $750 system that will keep the batteries full every day. (pair of 140 watt panels to keep ahead of use each day).

Have fun camping!

Fred.

PS: I think if my inverter, 400 watt solar system and extra batteries will save me well over $10 each night for 300 days the first 8 years I had it, paying for the system, and again 3 more times once I started full time camping from 2005 - 2013. And I get to camp next to a lake, river, on a mountain vista, ect, not a crowded campground! Priceless!
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com