cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator storage in truck bed

rvishome
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought 2 new powerhorse invertor generators and don't want to build anything for the back bumper for storage but would like to put them in the truck bed. Has anyone done that and if so how did you cover them to keep them protected from the elements when running? Really don't like the idea of taking them off the truck every time we want to use them. Any pics? Thanks for any ideas or advice. This is all new to us and we are so excited to learn as much as we can.
20 REPLIES 20

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my gen in the back end of my p/u. I have a lid on the bed, When needed I drop the tailgate and fire it up and plug in.If its raining or snowing, I keep the lid down and tail gate open. OUT OF SIGHT AND OUT OF MIND

parsonwalker
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Honda EU3000is generator last month and love it. Used it for dry camping and it ran beautifully. I've been in a quandary about how to securely store it and how to secure it while running. I bought a heavy duty chain from the local Harley-Davidson dealer, Kryptonite. The links are six-sided and made from super hardened steel. They also carried one made by H-D for less. Went with the original. Used the chain to secure it to the flatbed on my truck. I came across an item in August 2014 Trailer Life. KSH Marine makes generator boxes (and can do custom ones also). They have removable panels to allow for running the generator while in the box and still secured. The one for my generator is $375 plus shipping from Arizona. Their website is www.kshmarine.com . The boxes can be mounted in the truck bed, flatbed, or tray on back of RV. I have a pullout tray on the back of my TT with a 250 lb weight limit. The box weighs 37 pounds, plus 134 lbs for the generator and 2x2.5 gal gas cans plus gas. Even with other items on the tray, I will be well within the weight limit. Sure beats the quote from the Leer Truck Accessories dealer of $1,100.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have my generator in the back of pickup bed with tonneau cover and open the cover when I run the generator. I can make a quick tent over the truck rack if needed in rainy weather.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I run mine under the bed cap with the door and all the windows cracked. It can get warm back there especially in the summer. I just point the exhaust out the back and let it run. Keep track of ambient temps. Mine says not to run it above 140 degrees ambient.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a camper shell. I use my Champions for construction as well, so when I am on a job site, I just drop the gate and point the exhaust outward. Can hardly hear them and they stay secure.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Baileys_Buddies
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the generators, I hope they serve you well for years. I used to run mine in the bed of the last p/u I had that had a fiberglass cap. I no longer have that truck and have opted to utilize a tarp and some adjustable poles to cover the generator if needed. As far as brand.... more power to you !
2020 F-150 SuperCrew XLT
1998 Sunline Solaris T-2053
Love my Life - My Sweetheart 😉
Maggie our Yorkie/Daschound

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
I keep and run my Yamaha EF3000iSEB in the bed of my truck. I've been using it that way for years. It's strapped in and locked with a cable. My tailgate locks, so for someone to steal it, they would have to cut the cable and lift it over the tailgate; a difficult task in that it weighs 180 lbs wet. I've never worried about rain and it's been rained on a number of times.
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Chill 2oldman. When someone posts a question the first response is usually that they didn't provide the brand of the item in question.
Currently Between RVs

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2KW Honda generator sits secured to the inside of my truck bed near the tail gate. I have the FOLD-A-COVER lockable truck bed cover that completely hides the generator when not in use for thief safety using the OUT-OF-SIGHT security method.

When we need to run our 2KW Generator it is pulled out onto the tail gate and the trailer shore power cable length just fits the generator 120VAC receptacle. I use a HONDA APPROVED dual 30A-15A RV Adapter but a regular RV long 'DOGBONE' type adapter (WALMART) works equally well.

My 2KW Generator being a high thief item goes where I go. NO WAY would I leave this generator sitting attached to my trailer unattended.

If the generator is left in plain sight unattended at the camp site the possibility of thief is very high.. It only takes a couple of minutes to steal it... even in broad daylight... No unattended generator is safe from thief - Most of us like the idea of keeping the generator out-of-sight when not is use and unattended.

In this photo the thieves would either cut through the cable or the plastic handle of the generator...

Pulling the generator out onto the tailgate works great for us directing the exhaust off to the side. If it is inclimate weather i have a simple hood arrangement that extends out over the generator to keep rain off of it. If my truck bed is somewhat empty I can also just leave the generator running under the FOLD-A-COVER bed cover with the tailgate dropped. With all our supplies and items this would be a very rare situation.

This is what we do to be able to re-charge our trailer battery setup to their 90% charge state each morning at 8AM when allowed to run our generator when camping off the power grid... This process only take three hours of generator run time using smart mode charging with our on-board converter/charger being fed by the 2KW generator.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
I hauled and ran my generator in the bed of my pickup. I didn't worry about rain, they dry off.

Electricity and rain don't mix. I'd worry about rain!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days wrote:
Welcome to RV.NET. We own a Honda generator that I leave outside when running, if it is raining I put it under the awning.

It's quieter if you put it under the neighbors awning 😉

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
rvishome wrote:
Like I said we are new to this and I wasn't sure if it would make a difference to anyone what kind of generators we had...didn't mean to offend anyone.

You couldn't post tomorrows winning lottery numbers on a forum without somebody making a weird comment. Overlook it.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to RV.NET. We own a Honda generator that I leave outside when running, if it is raining I put it under the awning.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I hauled and ran my generator in the bed of my pickup. I didn't worry about rain, they dry off.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL