cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Storage

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
We found a used TT we like and will be picking it up in a few days (a Puma). It'll be stored out of town in a carport with sidewalls and end-coverings, though will still go through Wisconsin winters.

My question is how do people store their generators off-site, when I may go weeks without even seeing the land where the TT is kept? We just got a pair of Honda 2000W invert's that are still in their boxes. Given those are light enough to walk off on their own, I'm trying to consider storage solutions. The reviews of the Honda's seem to suggest they need to be drained of gas prior to any storage, so take that as an assumption. Have not seen the instructions myself yet.

Storage options:
  • Store them at home. Certainly the safest, but probably least convenient.
  • In the TT in a storage compartment (e.g. upright in Puma den).
  • Inside the TT (?issue with gas fumes)
  • Buy Honda's optional locking bracket and then lock each Honda to the frame of the TT. In this scenario, I would put the generators in some sort of Rubbermaid 18 cu ft storage shed.

I realize no storage option at the land renders them safe and at $1100 each, I have to consider that risk. I also realize TT are likely pretty easy to get into if someone wants to steal something, particularly if the vandal isn't worried about property destruction. I could keep things out of sight with closed, locking storage and hopefully keep people's interest away.

The same issue will apply to the batteries, but those are much cheaper and I'd worry less about those. The Rubbermaid seems like an interesting place for everything, but I wonder if people's apprehension of storing generator and battery in the same compartment is just a recipe for disaster with sparks from the batteries and fuel from the generators. My guess is the risk is too high and I'd keep them separate. Perhaps a larger Rubbermaid (or similar) for the generators and a smaller one for the batteries.
10 REPLIES 10

GeneDoc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it.

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
Is "no ethanol" fuel not available in your areas?

I use it in all my small engines, and never have a problem with varnish &/or other muck in stored units. I just run them occasionally and replace the fuel used with fresh.

I guess we are lucky to have it readily available.
Ken

โ€œneedsโ€ and โ€œwantsโ€ are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskierโ€ฆ

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Take the generators and batteries home. Drain all fuel and keep the batteries charged.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No brainer. Take them all home, generators and battery.
It's more convenient than buying new ones in the spring.

You may need the generators at home for a power outage.

Does it snow and get cold in Wisconsin? :B

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
They weigh 48lbs apiece..... I put one in each hand and go where I need to go with them. Don't over complicate things.... I don't winterize mine. I run them once a month for a couple hours and keep Stabil in the tanks.

As far as security goes. When I'm at a campsite they are chained in my truck until I need them and then they are chained to the bumper of the camper with 7/16" Pewag square link security chain, and a matching lock that weighs a little over 2lbs by itself. I think the chain weighs just short of 30lbs in a 6 ft length.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
$2200.00 is pretty precious to me. $2200.00 and "safest" is a no brainer to me.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd take the generators home.

Seafoam - not needed. I run mine out of fuel at the end of each season and have never had any problems.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
gen set even bolted down grow feet ,take them home and long term storage run the fuel out ,but some sea foam in the fuel each time you use it and it,ll always have a clean carb.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I would run it out of fuel or open the carb drain and drain all the fuel. I would then pour in a few ounces of sea foam and run it and drain the bowl again. You have now drained and flushed the whole system and no varnish or scale will form in the bowl. I would store them in a bedroom closet or something, NOT in the basement or garage. I wouldnt leave them at the storage yard.

I would charge the batteries and remove a cable so there is zero draw on them. I have stored batteries for several months with no problems. Sure, it's better to put a charge on them every month or two but as you say the batteries are $100 each not $1,000. If you cant lock them on the tongue box, move them into a storage bay or into the rv in a plastic box so there is zero chance of acid damage. Then tape a note on the door saying something like "Dont waste your time, there are no televisions or valuables inside". The next issue would be what your insurance deductible would be as compared to the amount of damage that would occur if someone used a pry bar to open the door. If there are no valuables in the bays, you may want to not lock them. Better to lose $30.00 in poo hose rather than a damaged door and trim.

If that generator never has old/stale fuel it will just about last you a lifetime.

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
I would bring them home for the winter. The batteries must remain charged if in the cold or they will freeze and ruin. The genie needs to run occasionally to insure that the fuel does not gum up the carb etc.
For short term storage of the gen I would sit mine in the shower and close the fuel cap vent which keeps odor to almost nothing. I would secure the battery box to discourage theft but as everyone knows locks only deter the more honest or lazy people.

Also, I try to use stabil or something n the gen fuel to keep things flowing
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis