cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started....tow vehicle recommendations....PLEASE!

AWbucky
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at starting the adventure of having a travel trailer!!!! Our plan is to start with the tow vehicle. We are expecting to purchase a TT that is around 23ft. We would like to get a SUV to be our tow vehicle and was wondering if anyone has advice of pros and cons they have encountered. We are looking into the Ford expedition, jeep Cherokee and dodge Durango. We will need to purchase used 2008-2011. Any help would be appreciated!!!
79 REPLIES 79

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
I would like to see the brand new 23-foot trailer that requires a 3/4 ton or bigger to tow it. That would probably be a badass trailer with all solid surfaces, the best materials, etc. Again, I'm talking about a 2014, not a 2004.

If you listen to some people on this site, you will find yourself buying a semi truck to tow a popup.

When did the OP say he was looking at a 2014 TT. OP is looking at 2008-2011 TV's. Why would they be looking at 2014 TT's?
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
NWKomfort350 wrote:
How is f250 overkill... my trailer is 23' my last trip out when I hit scales tt had tongue weight of 1040 .. TT weighed 6620 its gvwr is 7500.. my truck plus tongue weight was 9620 only 280 pounds away from my f350 gvwr... and it was only a 3 day trip ... how would a half ton handle 2220 pounds of payload? Or more if I was headed out for a week?

Your trailer is an 04. They have come along way since then. I have a 2011 Eclipse Milan at 29 total feet 4,500 pounds dry.

Well within 1/2 ton territory-at 29 total feet.

My trailer is only 5, 040 dry. Dry weight is the most ridiculous number to compare. Lets pretend this 23' tt nobody knows what brand it is weighs in loaded at 5000. Or is this too high? This would be 1, 620 pounds less than my last trip. 15% of 1,620 is 243 pounds . My last payload measurement of 2220 minus 243 is 1977 pounds. This 1, 977 pounds of payload weight is still high for the average half ton. Im not saying a person needs anything bigger than a half ton. Im only stating what a vehicle can tow depends a lot more on weight of TT plus cargo and people in TV. I just dont see how its automatic that the OP only needs a half ton. Not saying a person needs a freightliner. Only that it really depends how many people traveling, how much gear will be coming and weight of TT.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
B & W Patriot

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to see the brand new 23-foot trailer that requires a 3/4 ton or bigger to tow it. That would probably be a badass trailer with all solid surfaces, the best materials, etc. Again, I'm talking about a 2014, not a 2004.

If you listen to some people on this site, you will find yourself buying a semi truck to tow a popup.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It kills me when someone says "yeah, it'll tow that with NO problem" without ANY facts or figures to substantiate that claim. The first thing to do if you really want to know the limit of your TV is take it to a scale. Then subtract that from the GVWR on the door jamb sticker. Do not use the payload capacity stated on the door jamb sticker or published by the manufacturer. They are inflated. 1/2 ton trucks often do not have the capability they think it does. Case in point - our F250 says the payload capacity on the door jamb sticker is 2800 lbs but after going to a scale, it's only 1800 lbs. That's 1,000 lbs less. We'd have been screwed if we bought a trailer based on the sticker figure. You're going to find the same thing with a 1/2 ton or SUV.

I can also tell you that published factory dry tongue weights can be WAY under what they actually are. Another case in point - the actual dry tongue wt. on our trailer is almost twice what the factory dry wt. number is. Get your trailer to a scale as well. You should anyway to get your WDH dialed in the best.

If a person isn't really careful, they can get screwed on their actual TV payload capacity and then on the actual tongue weight. That can be a double hit.

The rear GAWR (gross axle weight rating) should also be looked at, esp. on an SUV as noted above. Max. hitch receiver ratings are important as already noted.

There's simply a lot of RVers that have overloaded TVs, from mild to grossly overloaded. I see them all the time in our cg. I try not to look anymore... Some don't know any better, but some just don't give a care and think they know better. I know we have it right and are safe on the road and that's all that matters to me.

AWbucky
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone who posted....because of all of you, we decided a 3/4 ton truck would be our route!!!! Thanks again

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
If you're really stuck on the SUV make sure it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton based one. A unibody SUV will not tow anything but a small PU for the most part. I would go with a 1/2 ton crew cab with a tonneau cover or topper. No need for anything bigger for a 23 foot trailer.

Yep, he needs a 1/2 ton body on frame SUV or Crew Cab 1/2 ton. Assuming he's not buying a 23 foot tank-either one will do the job. Good thoughts on staying away from the unibody wannabes SUVs.

New 3/4 ton Suburbans are 50plus grand and clean used ones are as rare as dinosaurs.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
If you're really stuck on the SUV make sure it's a 1/2 or 3/4 ton based one. A unibody SUV will not tow anything but a small PU for the most part. I would go with a 1/2 ton crew cab with a tonneau cover or topper. No need for anything bigger for a 23 foot trailer.

My Uni-body SUV is rated to tow my 30 foot travel trailer. CGVWR is within specs, payload / tongue weight is within specs / Trailer total weight is within towing specs.

I choose not to tow with my GMC Acadia because it is at the limit of the vehicle and because I don't like towing with such a short wheelbase... but it is legal and within rated specs.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
NWKomfort350 wrote:
My point was the length is not as important as the weight. You cant pick a TV only based on TT length... I prefer a heavier trailer it "feels" better 🙂

My point exactly.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
There are many ultra lights out there made for half tons. I understand your preferences. However chances are his 23 foot trailer will be no more than 60% of his towing capacity and well within his GVWR. He will have to go out of his way to find a heavy 23 foot trailer.

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
My point was the length is not as important as the weight. You cant pick a TV only based on TT length... I prefer a heavier trailer it "feels" better 🙂
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
B & W Patriot

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
NWKomfort350 wrote:
How is f250 overkill... my trailer is 23' my last trip out when I hit scales tt had tongue weight of 1040 .. TT weighed 6620 its gvwr is 7500.. my truck plus tongue weight was 9620 only 280 pounds away from my f350 gvwr... and it was only a 3 day trip ... how would a half ton handle 2220 pounds of payload? Or more if I was headed out for a week?

Your trailer is an 04. They have come along way since then. I have a 2011 Eclipse Milan at 29 total feet 4,500 pounds dry.

My TrailCruiser 30 foot is a 2004 and it has a dry weight of 4300lbs.

As already stated: Length does not matter much, total weight and tongue weight are the numbers that matter to the Tow Vehicle 🙂

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
NWKomfort350 wrote:

uscgcolletti
Explorer
Explorer
Myself I'll always stay with a 1/2 ton. Plenty of models that can easiley be hauled by a 1/2 tons.
For the folks who say you never know...
I do if its out off my towing capcity I don't look at them.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
For your first TV it is better to have people ask “Y’all have enough truck?” when looking at your TV & TT. My first rig was a F250 HD 6.0PSD and a Fun Finder 189FD. Well I did have enough truck for my second heavy TT. :B
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD