cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started....tow vehicle recommendations....PLEASE!

AWbucky
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at starting the adventure of having a travel trailer!!!! Our plan is to start with the tow vehicle. We are expecting to purchase a TT that is around 23ft. We would like to get a SUV to be our tow vehicle and was wondering if anyone has advice of pros and cons they have encountered. We are looking into the Ford expedition, jeep Cherokee and dodge Durango. We will need to purchase used 2008-2011. Any help would be appreciated!!!
79 REPLIES 79

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
NWKomfort350 wrote:
How is f250 overkill... my trailer is 23' my last trip out when I hit scales tt had tongue weight of 1040 .. TT weighed 6620 its gvwr is 7500.. my truck plus tongue weight was 9620 only 280 pounds away from my f350 gvwr... and it was only a 3 day trip ... how would a half ton handle 2220 pounds of payload? Or more if I was headed out for a week?

I think that it is too simple to say an F250 is overkill for a 23 foot trailer, every trailer has a different total weight and tongue weight. My 30 foot trailer weighs much less then your 23 foot trailer and has a lot less tongue weight. I only need a 1/2 ton to tow mine, I can even tow legally with my SUV (GMC Acadia) but the wheelbase is too short for comfort.

My 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Combined vehicle weight rating of 15,000 lbs
Curb weight of 5329 lbs rounded to 5,500 lbs
Maximum trailer towing rating of 9,500 lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 7300 lbs

Therefore 7000lbs minus 5500lb weight of vehicle would allow payload, tongue weight, and passengers total of 1800 lbs

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
How is f250 overkill... my trailer is 23' my last trip out when I hit scales tt had tongue weight of 1040 .. TT weighed 6620 its gvwr is 7500.. my truck plus tongue weight was 9620 only 280 pounds away from my f350 gvwr... and it was only a 3 day trip ... how would a half ton handle 2220 pounds of payload? Or more if I was headed out for a week?
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget, the Expedition has a EL model which has a longer wheelbase than the standard model. The payload and tow ratings are the same. However the longer wheelbase should make it much more stable. But in the end, the wheelbase of a truck is still better.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
trailer sway is mostly caused by too much weight behind the trailer axles .
heavy tongue weight will eliminate sway .
payload capacity of the tow vehicle will determine how much tongue weight you can have .
so , the comfortable riding suv probably will be limited in payload .
what seems to work the best are crew cab and extracab pickups , especially an f250 , gmc hd2500 , and ram 2500.
you can load them up with gear and carry a 15 % tongue weight .
plus the brakes on an hd2500 , f250 , or 2500 ram are humonguous compared to an f150 .
go to the tire shop and compare the brakes on an hd 2500 to the brakes on an f150 .
it is very obvious in a side by side comparison .

F250 or similar is way overkill for a 23 foot trailer. Period.

Clonefan
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with an 08 Yukon Denali my camper weighs 4600 lbs. I use WDH and sway bar. This camper pulls much better then my old Aerocub Hybrid (3600 lbs). Not sure what the difference (maybe spread axles) but the weight wasn't a factor when I moved up.

My buddy has an Expy and I'm impressed by it, pulls very well.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I was towing a 30ft Trail Cruiser with my GMC Acadia. I had weight distributing with a tongue weight of just over 500lbs. My payload capacity was completely swallowed-up by tongue weight and passengers. I as at the limit for combined vehicle weight rating and total cargo/towing capacity of 5200lbs. I took two short-distance camping trips with this set-up and have some advice...

I was within legal-specs of the rating for my vehicle and hitch. It was very difficult on the Acadia that was nearly overheating the engine and I suspect the transmission was also very hot (no gauge) even with the HD cooling package. I had trailer brakes, so braking was not an issue. The ride was okay, but with even a little bit of sway it felt scary. I suspect that if I lost control even slightly I could not recover that control and would crash.

I bought a 2001 Sierra 1500 HD Crew Cab with a 6.5 foot box and it made a huge difference with the longer wheelbase. The sway was completely gone. That truck recently died, and I just replaced with a 2011 Sierra 1500 Crew Cab short box. The new Sierra tows very well, but I can feel the difference in wheelbase where there is a little more sway then the old Sierra

Same Hitch and Trailer with different vehicles:

2012 GMC Acadia (119" Wheelbase) hard to control, not very safe feeling. Had Stiff suspension with air lifts installed.

2001 GMC 1500 HD (153" Wheelbase) very easy to tow with, no sway and had factory stiff suspension, no bounce.

2011 GMC 1500 Crew (143.5" Wheelbase) a little bit of sway and suspension bounce that I will fix with air springs.

My 2010 Acadia towed my old 18 foot TT without an issue but I did not install air lifts into the 2010 Acadia so there was a lot of bounce.

You can either tow shorter / lighter trailers, or increase the size of the towing vehicle (wheelbase is very important, longer equals better)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
My advice, from experience ...get a tow vehicle for your next trailer...not the 23 footer you are planning to buy this time. There will be a next one and it will be bigger and heavier.
As a first time TT owner, this is great advice. We are already thinking of getting a larger TT, but the TV will have to be upgraded first.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
For the millionth time, your TV shouldn't be stopping the TT, right? Recommending a 250 for a 23' TT is not helpful. Of course we all want the biggest and most capable but let's also try to be realistic.

OP, have you looked at hybrids? My brother and sister inlaw have an Explorer and an Acadia and tow a 21' Jayco around... the Acadia slightly better. With the beds down you get your 23' range.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
trailer sway is mostly caused by too much weight behind the trailer axles .
heavy tongue weight will eliminate sway .
payload capacity of the tow vehicle will determine how much tongue weight you can have .
so , the comfortable riding suv probably will be limited in payload .
what seems to work the best are crew cab and extracab pickups , especially an f250 , gmc hd2500 , and ram 2500.
you can load them up with gear and carry a 15 % tongue weight .
plus the brakes on an hd2500 , f250 , or 2500 ram are humonguous compared to an f150 .
go to the tire shop and compare the brakes on an hd 2500 to the brakes on an f150 .
it is very obvious in a side by side comparison .

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
An Expedition will tow that trailer fine. I would also look at the Nissan Armada, that thing has a real powerful motor.

MarkyVasquez
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the Nissan Pathfinder that has a 500/5000lbs towing capacity. We tow a 19 foot (21 if you include the hitch haha). The Pathfinder is rated at 22mpg in the city and 26 on the hwy. The trailer we have has a queen bed, kitchen, and dry bath. Everything we need in 19 feet! Buy the trailer you want and the tow vehicle you need. People go camping in a tent and still have lots of fun. Happy RVing!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly. An Expedition will tow the TT you are looking at just fine, with power to spare. As for buying a TV for the next TT. IMOP a totally useless thing to do. Why? In all likely hood. You will keep the TV less than 10 years. Most trade long before then. And there is a great chance you WILL keep the TT more than 10 years, as most people don't trade TTs all that often.

Also. Travel Trailers are in fact getting lighter all the time. My 2004 27' TT weighed 150lbs MORE dry than does my 2013 31' TT. So even thought you may want a larger TT in 8-10 years. There is a great chance it will be lighter than the one you buy now.
and there is a even greater chance that in 8-10 years you will already have a new TV.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

padave
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend do it in opposite order.....trailer first. If not, in a couple of years, you may want to upgrade your trailer if you limit your choices now..pick the trailer and then match it to the tow vehicle....just my 2 cents
wife and 2 daughters
2012 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 318bhs
Equalizer
former:
Nissan Titan
Rockwood Roo 233
Coleman Westlake

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
As a few folks have indicated, you can't get too large of a TV. If buying an SUV, used, I would look for a relatively low mileage Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel. A friend of mine found one and is very happy with it. The last year of it with that engine is a mid 2003, but there are some still out there with less than 80,000 miles.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

mister_d
Explorer
Explorer
Narrow it down to a couple TTs and then come back and people will help you match.
Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow