cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Window feature

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Got a text from my son this past Sat afternoon telling me that both front windows were down on the truck and it sat in driveway all day long!!! Like how the heck and wth ? Wife did some research and found that there is a feature which allows you to put your windows down (and in some cases up) using your key fob. This was Sat night, so 1st thing Sun morn we tried it and sure enough, both windows went down! Won't go back up un less you use the window controls in truck. Read the manual and saw where this feature can be turned off using the info button on steering wheel. Turned this thing off right away.

As to who did it remains a mystery. But wanted to let others know you may want to check to see if you have it (if you didn't know) and accidentally open the windows. Although this is on a Ford, will assume it's on other makes as well.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
8 REPLIES 8

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
This must be what happened to a new Tundra I saw a couple weeks ago.
Brand new truck in a parking lot, spittin rain out a little, ALL windows including the back cab window were 100% down.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Wife did some research...Read the manual and saw where this feature can be turned off using the info button on steering wheel. Turned this thing off right away.

It is amazing how much information can be found in the owner's manual. It is even more amazing how many people never read it!

I figure it is the one page "Getting to Know" supplement if it is important.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ACZL wrote:
Wife did some research...Read the manual and saw where this feature can be turned off using the info button on steering wheel. Turned this thing off right away.

It is amazing how much information can be found in the owner's manual. It is even more amazing how many people never read it!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford normally disables the feature on USA-spec vehicles, but all of them down to the Fiesta are capable. Just takes a friendly dealer to turn it on, or DIY using FORSCAN.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my old silverado and new denali have the "window down" feature. You can enable/disable it through the setup menu. Is nice on a hot day to get the air moving before you get in.

The nicest feature on my silverado aftermarket webasto sunroof was the feature that closed the sunroof 15 seconds after the ignition was turned off. Wish my denali factory sunroof had that feature. If you hit the tilt or open button on the aftermarket sunroof before the 15 seconds it would then remain in that position.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My Dodge Charger had remote window down only, using the fob. my Ram Outdoorsman had remote window up and down, through the fob or online with the app.

Neither would actually tell you what state the windows were in though.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had an '09 Dodge Journey R/T where I read on the Journey forum about this feature. I think it was press the unlock button twice on the key fob, and on the 2nd press hold the button down. Sure enough both front windows went down. Was handy on a hot day getting out of work. I scoured the owners manual and there was not a word about it. I've tried it on subsequent vehicles and none of them had this feature. Too bad.
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Bedlam
My '03 VW would close all the windows and sunroof if you held the lock button on the remote and would open all of them if you held the unlock button. It would do the same with the key by holding it in a position. Your setup sounds similar. This was handy to close up the car when multiple windows were open or to open the car up when it was hot to let it release heat quicker.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD