cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Tow haul use - opinions

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We picked up our travel trailer today at CW. They set up the weight distributing hitch for us and gave us a lot of instructions on how the accoutrements in the camper work. One thing the guy said that I need some opinions on though..

The TV is a 1500 Suburban 4x4 and the trailer dry weight is about 5500 pounds. I asked him about using the tow haul feature and he said he wasn't sure that he would recommend it. He said out on the open interstate he would recommend leaving it off and never, ever use it with the cruise control on. He said: "It will rip your transmission out". I haven't used it very much at all. The Suburban pulls the trailer just fine either way.

What's your experience with using tow haul while actually towing a trailer?
38 REPLIES 38

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
austingta wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
If the trailer is connected the truck is in tow/haul mode. It is that simple.
And also the switch is engaged turning it on.

The switch in all GMs is just a momentary switch. Cut the wires and touch them together and the T/H comes on or goes off. Super simple design.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
And also the switch is engaged turning it on.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

playsintyraffic
Explorer
Explorer
djgodden wrote:
Pretty amusing. I use our tow/haul mode with cruise all the time and haven't left my tranny anywhere.

FYI... I use an Edge Evolution tuner in power level 2 (towing) and wondered if I should use the tow/haul mode as well. I asked Edge Products and they echoed what's been said here. "Continue using the tow haul mode because it affects the tranny shift points whereas the tuner retunes the engine for optimal performance while towing?.

I had around $1800 in rebuilding the transmission. I had our local transmission guru do it. I am sure I might have saved a few bucks elsewhere, but the guy I had do it is "the guy". I have known and used him before and been very happy. He replaced the torque converter, used heavy duty bands, heavy duty sun shield, shift kit, and a corvette shift servo. It really shifted quick, which helps you avoid building heat. Really the 1 to 2 shift was too hard, to sell the Yukon I had him remove the corvette shift servo which made it much smoother. I have just recently sold my half ton yukon and bought a 2500 yukon. The half ton was a much more comfortable people hauler but I found long hauls towing the camper to be exhausting. I am hoping the 2500 will be a more relaxing drive. I have not towed with it yet. I drive for a living at our family's towing and recovery business. Mainly towing tractor trailers or hauling oversized heavy equipment. So I really am not looking for more stressful driving when I trying to relax!

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty amusing. I use our tow/haul mode with cruise all the time and haven't left my tranny anywhere.

FYI... I use an Edge Evolution tuner in power level 2 (towing) and wondered if I should use the tow/haul mode as well. I asked Edge Products and they echoed what's been said here. "Continue using the tow haul mode because it affects the tranny shift points whereas the tuner retunes the engine for optimal performance while towing?.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
playsintyraffic wrote:
Do not tow heavy with a 4l60E in overdrive, always downshift into 3rd and use tow haul. If you have the 5.3 engine cruise will likely not be very effective as it will want to drop 2nd gear down shifts at the slightest hill or head wind. The 4l60E is the weak link in this setup, I would recommend figuring out a way to monitor transmission temp. The 5.3 is a great engine just be prepared to turn some RPMS in the mountains. I have towed a very similar sized TT with an 2004 Yukon XL 5.3 with 4l60E, it did well in flat Indiana but struggled in the mountains. The transmission let go with 160,000 while climbing in the Smokey Mnts. Had transmission rebuilt and upgraded, it did well with the improvements.

I appreciate it. I'm going to add a cooler to the existing tow package extra cooler. I'm not going to be in a hurry when we travel. Totally going to be using the tow/haul feature. We don't go to the mountains all that much. My wife wants to go more. We do go to the beach a few times a year. I have toyed with having someone go through the transmission since I don't really know the history of this one. But, it works perfectly right now so, I'm not motivated to spend the extra cash. I just had the differential rebuilt with new everything. I have serviced the transmission, filter, fluid..and done an additional drain and fill. Going to do another one today or tomorrow. Dex6 is cheap so it seems like a good idea. I have known a lot of folks with these vehicles and transmission overhauls are pretty common. But, people drive them constantly so, they wear out. Mind if I ask what the cost of the overhaul was and what upgrades you made?

playsintyraffic
Explorer
Explorer
Do not tow heavy with a 4l60E in overdrive, always downshift into 3rd and use tow haul. If you have the 5.3 engine cruise will likely not be very effective as it will want to drop 2nd gear down shifts at the slightest hill or head wind. The 4l60E is the weak link in this setup, I would recommend figuring out a way to monitor transmission temp. The 5.3 is a great engine just be prepared to turn some RPMS in the mountains. I have towed a very similar sized TT with an 2004 Yukon XL 5.3 with 4l60E, it did well in flat Indiana but struggled in the mountains. The transmission let go with 160,000 while climbing in the Smokey Mnts. Had transmission rebuilt and upgraded, it did well with the improvements.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pulled the trailer around today. Going to be using tow/haul every time. Without TH and on the interstate it shifts into overdrive. Overdrive isn't designed to deal with high torque situations. Besides, it runs smooth at 65 in tow/haul without the overdrive. I rarely use cruise control anyway. I'm old enough to have owned a few cars that didn't even have cruise control. Heck, I have owned a few cars and trucks that didn't have power brakes, steering, AC, or automatic transmission.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
The TH mode in my 15 Silverado worked great. Made a big improvement towing my tt. Higher shift points, better engine braking. I'd recommend you use it with a 5500lb dry rig. Good luck
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Tow/haul on lets the tranny downshift and help with braking on my Chevy 2500.

I only use it on my TT or my car trailer. My cargo trailer doesn't get loaded with as much weight.

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
TOW/HAUL........

Wonder what that feature is for if NOT when TOWING or when HAULING a load :H

Have you read your Owners Manual?

X2 on owner's manual.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
falconbrother wrote:
We picked up our travel trailer today at CW. They set up the weight distributing hitch for us and gave us a lot of instructions on how the accoutrements in the camper work. One thing the guy said that I need some opinions on though..

The TV is a 1500 Suburban 4x4 and the trailer dry weight is about 5500 pounds. I asked him about using the tow haul feature and he said he wasn't sure that he would recommend it. He said out on the open interstate he would recommend leaving it off and never, ever use it with the cruise control on. He said: "It will rip your transmission out". I haven't used it very much at all. The Suburban pulls the trailer just fine either way.

What's your experience with using tow haul while actually towing a trailer?

I'll repost your question as it has a different tranny that the tow/haul works different than all the Dmax owners/Ford and Dodge owners auto trannies.

The 4l60e....6l80e tow/haul mode we have in our 1500 GM trucks just hold the TC clutch unlocked up to a higher rpm or so before locking up or a upshift. Nothing at all like the Allison in the Dmax or a Ford or Dodge tranny in 3/4 and one ton trucks..

I don't/didn't use TH mode in a 4l60e or the 6l80e in the wifes new 1500 chevy truck. The biggest reason is no engine braking with the TC clutch unlocked in 2nd/3rd gears.
Not using TH mode lets the TC clutch lock up normally for good down hill braking in those lower gears.

IMO T/H mode in these two GM auto trannies is for folks that don't know how or understand the need for proper rpm for towing.
Anyways...try T/H mode fore a couple of trips and then try it without TH mode on.

Thanks. I have the 4L60e transmission with tow package (cooler). I suspect that I will use the TH and leave the cruise control off and see how that goes. I do notice that the burb spends a lot of time in 3rd gear when in TH whether towing or not.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
The biggest reason is no engine breaking

No engine breaking is a good thing. Broken engines don't tow well

lol....... good catch. G'maw was pushing G'paw to hurry hurry and get started over the the daughters house for dinner.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
The biggest reason is no engine breaking

No engine breaking is a good thing. Broken engines don't tow well
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator