cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gold Mining!!

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A new past time and reason to get the TC out!! A friend in Great Falls MT invited me over to MT to do some gold mining this July.

I don't know a thing about it, but I will. I am fortunate enough to live in Boise, home of Summit Mining Equipment factory and show room. I visited them today and picked out a High Banker sluice. Now if I can just afford it by July!!

I also have a friend here in Boise whose son bought a mining claim in the gold rich country of Custer ID 15 years ago and never used it!! :E

Is it possible to get gold fever without finding any yet?
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
31 REPLIES 31

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Here in North Carolina, when the creeks are down, it does open up new opportunities.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Will the record drought in Calif make it easier for folks to find nuggets in the dried-up streambeds? Long-submerged rocks are now exposed. I don't know enough about current mining techniques to tell whether this is a game-changer or not, so please forgive me if this is a naive question.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
Truck campers work great for gold prospecting. My brother and I just returned from a week of camping and prospecting on our gold claim. It's a great hobby, but don't expect to get rich. There's nothing like that flash of gold in the pan!

Our recirculating sluice box I made:

One day of playing:

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Comeoutswingin wrote:
I caught gold fever a few years ago. Went and bought a 4" dredge, a 2" dredge, and a couple hi bankers, a few pumps, extra equipment basically the whole nine yards, went out a couple times on a nearby creek. I did find a little bit, and I do mean a little bit..

Finding anyone to go with was next to impossible and moving that 4" dredge alone was a fair bit of work and I'm only 27! So I built a crane that hooks on the rear of my jeep that I can lower the dredge off of a bridge or set it up like a zip line. Haven't even got to use it and its been a few years lol.

My Fiances family has a 60 acre claim in the Nine Mile Creek area of Montana. We went over there last summer and looked around. Unfortunately the creek is closed to dredging and it's more of a wash plant/excavator show anyway.

You certainly have the right screen name!!! Holy Smokes, you don't mess around!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the well wishes!!! Yes, I am looking at it strictly as a hobby. Another reason to get the TC out and go places. If I found some color, great, but I really don't expect much.

I am going to spend a couple hundred on gold pans and a river sluice for this trip. Learn everything I can from my friend and the experience I will get. If I hate it, I'm not out much.

But, I always loved to play in the creek when I was a kid!! Now I can do it as an adult and not look silly!!! I hope!!

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
RenoAl wrote:
I am excited to see that gold fever is alive and well. When fully in bloom it defeats all known nervous and intelligence systems within the human body. Color in a pan tops gals in a bikini any day.

I spent summers as a kid digging and crushing, panning and sluicing and building mercury retorts. Smelting gold and distilling mercury. Probably made $3000 over 3 summers in the '60's.

God how I miss it.

....tops gals in a bikini any day....?? Al! Hold on a minute here! That's a pretty bold statement to make.....:B
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
As long as a person knows and treats it all as fun, and keeps it that way, it should remain a fun and adventurous pursuit.

Have a great time.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

RenoAl
Explorer
Explorer
I am excited to see that gold fever is alive and well. When fully in bloom it defeats all known nervous and intelligence systems within the human body. Color in a pan tops gals in a bikini any day.

I spent summers as a kid digging and crushing, panning and sluicing and building mercury retorts. Smelting gold and distilling mercury. Probably made $3000 over 3 summers in the '60's.

God how I miss it.
2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
If you get more than a little bit serious about gold mining, I am coming around to the idea that time/money should be spent on good ground rather than more equipment.

A 4 inch dredge isn't going to be as much fun if your ground has $1 of gold per yard of material, but you can have a blast with a $6 pan and $15 homemade sluice on $30 a yard material.

Comeoutswingin
Explorer
Explorer
I caught gold fever a few years ago. Went and bought a 4" dredge, a 2" dredge, and a couple hi bankers, a few pumps, extra equipment basically the whole nine yards, went out a couple times on a nearby creek. I did find a little bit, and I do mean a little bit..

Finding anyone to go with was next to impossible and moving that 4" dredge alone was a fair bit of work and I'm only 27! So I built a crane that hooks on the rear of my jeep that I can lower the dredge off of a bridge or set it up like a zip line. Haven't even got to use it and its been a few years lol.

My Fiances family has a 60 acre claim in the Nine Mile Creek area of Montana. We went over there last summer and looked around. Unfortunately the creek is closed to dredging and it's more of a wash plant/excavator show anyway.
2008 Dodge DRW 6.7, 255/80R17, StableLoads
2013 Host Cascade Dbl Slide

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We often see folks in the Sierra who are using motorized vacuums to slurp up gravel from under the rocks in the mountain streams. It looks cold and difficult, but they seem to be enjoying themselves.

Someone mentioned Mark Twain -- I strongly recommend "Roughing It," his description of the era just after the California Gold Rush. Very interesting, and some of it is laugh out loud funny, which is amazing for something written 140 years ago.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep. A good way to help you stay active. There's gold in them thar hills!

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck DJ!! Sounds like fun, hope you strike it rich.
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as it is thought of as a hobby, it can be great fun. It is exciting to think there is a possibility to find some really worthwhile gold. I agree with Jfet on when people scoff at doing a little muscle work. I'm thinking working out in a gym is just another hobby, and it ain't free and does require work.

I have had, and still have, many hobbies through the years. There is always someone to scoff at them.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke