2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i
36 REPLIES 36

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Yes indeed, the first thing you need to do is mow the inside of your trailer!

Is this one of those newfangled green technology sustainable trailers?
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

wif
Explorer
Explorer
zingy wrote:
We are embarking on a similar project but not going the see-through route you chose and trying to rip out the floor from the inside leaving the membrane underneath intact. What kind of tool did you use to rip out the plywood? We are using a mallet and crowbar at this point, but it is slow going. Thanks for the inspirational pictures as we start on this messy project, the plywood looks great! What type of floor are you putting in on top - sheet vinyl?

I used a circular saw set to just less than 1/4" depth. Then it was ripping bar, box cutter and hammer, etc.. I had to remove the membrane - it was in poor shape. I think it's going to be gravel guard rocker sprayed underneath from now on in. As for flooring, we are going to put in sheet vinyl. I thought about click tile or stick tile, but because the floors in these ultralights are a bit spongy, I am afraid we'd end up with broken joints in the tiles. I figure sheet vinyl is the safest bet. I'll have an update in couple of days - the top of the floor is now installed (covering the insulation). We've got to get out and shop for vinyl now. Then I'll post pics as we go along.

Good luck with your project!
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

zingy
Explorer
Explorer
We are embarking on a similar project but not going the see-through route you chose and trying to rip out the floor from the inside leaving the membrane underneath intact. What kind of tool did you use to rip out the plywood? We are using a mallet and crowbar at this point, but it is slow going. Thanks for the inspirational pictures as we start on this messy project, the plywood looks great! What type of floor are you putting in on top - sheet vinyl?

wif
Explorer
Explorer
daystrom wrote:
wif wrote:

The source of the leak is in one of the photos in the first post of this thread.

I did see the pic, just didn't know where that was. Is the floor flush with the bottom of the base of the wall?

The subfloor fits under the aluminum subframe and the top sheet of the floor fits above the subframe under the wall plate.
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
wif wrote:

The source of the leak is in one of the photos in the first post of this thread.

I did see the pic, just didn't know where that was. Is the floor flush with the bottom of the base of the wall?
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

wif
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
You'll like that additional insulation.

If you bought the trailer used and want to discover any leaks or pinholes, I'd suggest to do a pressurized leak test. I use a furnace squirrel cage but others have used leaf blowers or carpet dryers.

Thanks, westend - I followed your Cowboy Hilton remanufacturing with great interest! Nothing additional about the insulation - it just replaced what was there(but now it's dry!). As for pressure testing, I used the Vortex fan I installed in the head - just put it on high in reverse - works like a charm!
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Same year, make, and model as my trailer (mine has the front bunk though). Scary pictures! Fortunately, my floor is still quite solid, and a lot less open to the grass... 🙂 The new plywood looks nice.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You'll like that additional insulation.

If you bought the trailer used and want to discover any leaks or pinholes, I'd suggest to do a pressurized leak test. I use a furnace squirrel cage but others have used leaf blowers or carpet dryers.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wif
Explorer
Explorer
daystrom wrote:
What did you believe to be the source of the leak? I'm wondering if the front window also contributed to the leak?

The source of the leak is in one of the photos in the first post of this thread. It seems to have come from a failure of the sealant on the molding at the bottom of the exterior wall. Water running down the exterior wall would seep past the molding and directly to the floor. It also caused some minor delam just in front of the wheel well roadside - working on that too, but I should be able to fix that up from the inside. Any damage I make to the interior wall shouldn't be too drastic that I can't make it presentable (in any case, it's inside the galley anyway - can't really see it).

As to the front window, there is no evidence at all of any water coming down the front wall from the window. The only water staining is at the base of the wall where it meets the floor.
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
What did you believe to be the source of the leak? I'm wondering if the front window also contributed to the leak?
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

wif
Explorer
Explorer
Project update!

Structure added just inside door to minimize frame flex when using the step

Framing and subfloor in

Insulation glued down

Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, it might be very interesting if you put down plexi glass for a new floor. Seriously, think about it...Some of the BR Glass like they use at the bank, its like 2 inches thick. Would make a one of a kind RV.
Kinda like the glass bottom boats I have seen in Florida :B

SK

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
That should keep you busy for a while. Good luck with the project.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

wif
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Is that one of those new lite models?:B

Yep, seems to be getting lighter by the minute:R
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, Done that.
At least in my case it was just the floor area under a leaky water tank, and NOT structural...

-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.