cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got the trailer back, but don't know how to back up

whitebear80
Explorer
Explorer
Excited to pick up the trailer, but have no experience of towing or even backup!
I didn't expect this is that hard... Gosh:(
frustrated, just pulled up straight ahead...
What am I going to do .........

Actually our driveway is not that short/narrow, but the trailer will not follow the way we want it to be
We realize that the trailer's wheels won't turn ...

Help
CreekSide 23BHS by Expedition EL
45 REPLIES 45

mrwalleyeman
Explorer
Explorer
Use The Force.
thats what i do haha. I have been backing my boat into the water for years and seem to always over correct but i get in and out of the launch fairly quickly.

When I got home with our new TT had Compact snow and ice on the ground and backing up on a incline was no fun, even with 4 Low. But when finally did get the TT in the driveway it was way easier than backing the boat trailer. the longer pivot point makes a huge difference.

I also like to use the top of the steering wheel and turn the opposite way just seems easier to me.
Fishing Isn't A Matter Of Life And Death, It's Much More Important

Ron3rd
Explorer III
Explorer III
yloshrk wrote:
When you go to back up, place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Push the way you want the trailer to go. Backing up, everything is backwards and this will help.

X2, that's how I learned. The rest is just practice.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Jmactootall
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to add this from my limited experience. My biggest problem is over steering. Don't try be too be fast. Slow and easy works best for me. It is frustrating that sometime I get it positioned on the first shot and other times I take forever to get it done. I tell my wife to charge admission for the comedy routine that everyone at the campground is enjoying.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Practice makes perfect.I tought my siblings how to backup a trailer by taking them to a deserted parking lot and set up a few traffic cones.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
limbery wrote:
--- snip ---
it seems that at times my double wheels are sliding left to right rather than pivoting on a point...so I'd still prefer a single for backing into a tight spot.... --- snip ---

It not just seems that way, it is that way.

"Trailer" tires are designed and built to allow for the stresses incurred when the tires slide sideways.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

dannytas
Explorer
Explorer
The way I was taught: look into your side mirrors, when your trailer shows up in that mirror, turn towards it. If it starts to show into the other mirror, turn towards that mirror. That system will help you back straight. Also, shorter trailers require more immediate corrections. Above all...practice, practice, practice! Gook luck. It will come.
2014 Keystone Springdale 202QBWE
1998 Dodge 1500 Club Cab, 4x4, 5.9 magnum
DW-Lynn
BigDog-Kelley
LittleDog-Kroozer
LittleCats-Pokie and Dottie

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Not to hijack this thread, but I kind of disagree regarding single axles being harder to back. I've had several single axle trailers and last year I bought a small new trailer that had a tandem axle and I have to admit that it pulls better but I'd say the singles were easier to make quick maneuvers while backing up....it seems that at times my double wheels are sliding left to right rather than pivoting on a point...so I'd still prefer a single for backing into a tight spot....
...then again if you're going straight the tandem tends to stay straighter....maybe that's what people are referring to???

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Good suggestions.

Now I am waiting to hear what kind of time you have when you go to hitch up the trailer for your first trip. After almost 35 years of RVing, we have settled into a routine where I drive the TV and he gives directions for hitching up. When we get to the campsite, I give the directions for backing and he drives. Works for us.

When the kids were young and we had an Aristocrat LoLiner, I did most of the backing by myself. I could fit the TT (single axle 16') between the side of the house and the fence with no help. There was about five feet of excess room to maneuver in. I guess I didn't know that those single axles were harder to back. Never did hit the fireplace! Young and dumb and didn't know any better. I sure wouldn't want to try it now.

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
I like to get out and look as mentioned. In addition, I found a wireless camera and screen at a decent price. I place the camera on the ground or picnic table at the back of the campsite on the blind side of the camper aligned with the pad. I watch the tire move to the pre-determined location on the screen. My DW's job is to make sure I don't hit anything else (limbs, etc) that I can't see either through the mirror or screen.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
whitebear80 wrote:
Excited to pick up the trailer, but have no experience of towing or even backup!
I didn't expect this is that hard... Gosh:(
frustrated, just pulled up straight ahead...
What am I going to do .........

Actually our driveway is not that short/narrow, but the trailer will not follow the way we want it to be
We realize that the trailer's wheels won't turn ...

Help
Its not as hard as you think! Confidence is key. Tell yourself you can do it. Picture in your mind where it is that you want the rear of the trailer to be when you get it placed. The techniques you have been given are all right. Its what you can get compfy with. My advice, in addition to the good ideas you have alresdy is to make good safety habits like using your mirrors, not hanging out of an open door when backing, if you hit a tree with your door, you of course lose the door but also your head is in danger. SO all moves made with your head inside the truck. Before starting reverse operation, make sure the way is clear behind you by getting out and checking the lay of the ground for level, obstacles such as picnic tables, fire rings, trees etc. Make a move and recheck if needed. You can only get advice here. You have to build confidence in yourself. So find a parking lot and use cones or anything you can lay out and see clearly and practice ,practice ,practice! Also, don't be too proud to accept advice or a helping hand at a camp site from a well meaning fellow camper. We all started some where and had a first time and several first times. As for me, I pulled campers and drove trucks with pups trailers hauling dozers. I learned the trucks on myt own and the dozers and other heavy equipment on my own. I too advice from outside sources that were familiar with my work and I did fine with a little confidence in myself.

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
mrp116 wrote:
I like to put my hand on the top of the wheel and think about where I don't want my trailer to go. I turn the wheel where I don't want it to go.
Thats is the way I do it except I explain that I turn the wheel opposite the direction I want the trailer to turn. Its all in how you learn, I like my hand on top of the wheel also! I keep saying that I use my minds eye to do it in my mind before the actual move. Its all a fluid move and the thoughts are natural. Although the proper teaching is to put the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn in the direction you want the trailer to go. That just doesn't register with me!

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot -
It's easier and safer to latch/unlatch the weight distribution bars if you raise the trailer tongue while attached to the ball.

Another- before hitching and moving, make sure the stabilizers are cranked up and the TV antenna is down.
F1BNorm

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep telling yourself -- this will get better. A helper with a good sense of humor is key! We all were newbies once. If you find yourself dreaming about backing up, you are practicing too much. Don't ask me how I know this.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

kayakcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
When I back up, I like to watch my trailers driver side tires and not the whole trailer. A small change in the steering wheel quickly shows up on your trailer's tires. I think most first timers are over whelmed at the size of the trailer they are backing up, where if they look at their tires it's no problem. Just remember to frequently check up and your passenger side mirror for branches and other obstacles. Good luck in your travels.

"We were not placed on this earth to see through one another, but rather to see one another through!"
2012 Kodiak 242RESL, 2013 Sierra 1500 LTZ