cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gotta buy 1 tire tomorrow, limited choices

CopanoCruisin
Explorer
Explorer
I have to get one tire tomorrow, not ready to buy a complete set at this time. Local choices are limited to Towmaster, goodyear marathon or Akuret. And yes, I know they are all China bombs but I gotta pick one. Choices, chooses choices...........cC
9 REPLIES 9

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
CopanoCruisin wrote:
I was wrong on the name, it was taskmaster not Towmaster. It was what I ended up with, primarily because of the most current DOT manufacture date. Now I have three different brands on the trailer. Two of the Original Triangles, one Akuret that was replaced with the Dexter axle under warranty and now the taskmaster. Go figure, the Triangle tire that I replaced was manufactured in May 2010.
...........cC

You should find out which ones have the nylon cap-and if they don't replace them immediately.

CopanoCruisin
Explorer
Explorer
I was wrong on the name, it was taskmaster not Towmaster. It was what I ended up with, primarily because of the most current DOT manufacture date. Now I have three different brands on the trailer. Two of the Original Triangles, one Akuret that was replaced with the Dexter axle under warranty and now the taskmaster. Go figure, the Triangle tire that I replaced was manufactured in May 2010.
...........cC

Mkos1980
Explorer
Explorer
Towmaster on all my trailers. Not one issues in 6 years. Unless you count the time I nailed a 4x4 board on the highway.....
2016 Palomino Puma 30RKSS
1990 Chaparral 2150SX 350 MAG
2006 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0
1989 Pontiac Formula 350 "LSX" 6.0 LS2
2008 Harley Dyna Low Rider

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a Sam's Club nearby, check their Greenball Transmaster....usually in stock. Our HTT came OEM and we replaced with 2 sets of the same over our time with it. Never had a problem. Price was reasonable. We liked that there is usually a Sam's somewhere nearby, just in case....but never had to worry about it.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use tow master and had no problems like others said get the high rating,

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
CopanoCruisin wrote:
I have to get one tire tomorrow, not ready to buy a complete set at this time. Local choices are limited to Towmaster, goodyear marathon or Akuret. And yes, I know they are all China bombs but I gotta pick one. Choices, chooses choices...........cC

Towmaster and Goodyear both have the nylon cap. That makes them a better tire. I am not sure about the other brand.

The term "China bomb" are used by those who have had bad experience with the tires 20 years ago. The new tires with the nylon cap are better constructed.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer

Get the highest rated ply tire that will fit your rim and the space in your wheel well. I use the "G" rated Good Year tire. I would get the tire (size,ply, brand) you would choose if you were going to replace all the tires. This will avoid ending up with tires that don't match up.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy any brand that offers a load range D or load range E .
You can upgrade the other 3 as they fail or you get some extra cash .
If your present tire has an 1820 # load rating on the sidewall try to get one that is 2271 # as it's replacement .
Any increase is an improvement .
It is not about brand .
It is about load rating .

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
If your just buying a tire to get by on, get the one with the best priceโ€ฆ with all of the tire hoopla remember all the failures you read about are only a small percentage of all the trailer tires in useโ€ฆ

While the trailer tire issue is real, most RVers arenโ€™t even aware of the tire controversy and without the internet it would be almost a non-issueโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet