cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS or smart phone

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what was the difference between a GPS app on a smartphone and the GPS units such as Garmin?

We expect to use it to RV travel.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
47 REPLIES 47

MFinCA
Explorer
Explorer
blw2 wrote:
I've been using an app called WAZE on my phone more and more. I love it!
Me, too. I've used GPS units in the past. When my last one finally died, I switched to Waze and have been happy.
MFinCA
2004 Homestead Settler 255RS
2004 Ford F-350, SRW, 6.0L Diesel

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of the gps apps actually use maps that you download essentially making your mobile device a true dashboard GPS and not just a phone that uses data for the maps. This would work good with a iPad or another tablet device. I think Navigon is one option to download a full map. Just a word of caution...those maps are huge!!

I personally use a Garmin And love have a separate device as my GPS since it's so much easier to see.

I use the phone to locate local things like the above posters.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I use my phone to search for way points, gas stations restaurants, and everything else. I'll use my smartphone to look at maps of a certain area, and satellite images of the campground I'm going to. I use it to find addresses, and locations that I'm interested in.

I use my trucks GPS (integrated in the dash) for actual guidance. The phone does everything else. I'd recommend using both, each having its own purpose.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
100% Smart phone on a Ram Mount. The Note 2 has a huge screen.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

AtomicChicken
Explorer
Explorer
I rather use my Garmin for GPS duties over my smartphone.

As mentioned before the standalone GPS unit's screen is easier to read. Also, unless you cache your route data ahead of time if you loose your cell signal you're out of luck with the smartphone.

I also like the fact that my Garmin is JUST a GPS unit and nothing more. It's simpler to use/navigate and it won't get interrupted by other tasks (like incoming calls).
2007 F-150
2006 Sun Valley RoadRunner 240BH
Prodigy P2 / EAZ-Lift WDH

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Majja13 wrote:
Although smart phones have gps in the they rely on the data connection to render the map. So if no cell service no gps.

x2

GPS mounted on dash to see is no comparison to a hand held small screen phone. Not to mention the data used. I see people driving RV's with computers set up on the dash and phones and they are fiddling with it entering route info. Down right scarey to me.

My GPS is on the dash of the MH sitting in a donut holder.

I don't even have to key in my route on my GPS. I SPEAK my directions to it, she calculates the route and then she speaks back the directions. I don't even have to look at the GPS! Don't think they make a phone that can do all that yet!:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DesertFiver
Explorer
Explorer
I use TomTom for my android app without data, you download maps to phone (via WIFI).
I tried Sygic and like TomTom you download maps to phone. NO DATA Charges and gps works everywhere.

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
Out in GODS country cell service is marginal at best

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Although smart phones have gps in the they rely on the data connection to render the map. So if no cell service no gps.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

Altern
Explorer
Explorer
No reason not to have both.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I use the phone app. It's quicker and has more features than our TomToms do. It also updates itself without cost. I did use the GPS coming from Seattle to Denver as there were large areas without coverage.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

blw2
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using an app called WAZE on my phone more an more. I love it!
Use a phone mount on my dash to hold it
crowd sourced data gives great traffic info, re-routes, etc....
extremely accurate travel times considering traffic
also users report police traps, road hazards, red light cameras, etc.... and it warns you.
voice commands
great where there are lots of users to report data, such as cities and interstates. Not so useful in the sticks....
and as previously mentioned, need cellular data service coverage (doesn't use a lot of your data plan, even with constant use)

I also agree that a dedicated GPS is still useful for long haul routes, but less and less so..... really only when cell coverage isn't great.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
The smart phone won't work everywhere, that's the downside. The smart phone only works where there is cell service or wi fi. The gps, satellite based, works everywhere. The smart phone is of no use in huge parts of Death Valley for instance. We have both, but use the GPS most of the time when on the road.

Agreed...except cell coverage loss for me is in the high country where the cell signal loss can happen more than one would think.
I love me some land yachting

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X 2 GPS unit for long trips. Smartphone for around town.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The smart phone won't work everywhere, that's the downside. The smart phone only works where there is cell service or wi fi. The gps, satellite based, works everywhere. The smart phone is of no use in huge parts of Death Valley for instance. We have both, but use the GPS most of the time when on the road.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"