cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS tracker for trailers?

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
thinking of starting an rv rental biz. I would like to put gps tracking on each trailer. Any suggestions for a device that is not too costly and works well? I'm sure I'll have to pay a yearly subscription for service but looking to stay under $100 for the device and service too. Currently I have a VYNCS on a motorhome which cost me $70 for the device and one year of service. It's great but only works for motor vehicles that have an OBD2 port. Trailers of course don't have this so looking for options
14 REPLIES 14

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Who in their right mind is going to play hide and seek with a well hidden AirTag while in possession of a twenty year felony that is as big as a house?

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Air tags are easy as pie for thieves to find as any iphone tells you if there's a tracker filling you that's not registered to your account, Android users can find out the same info with a simple download.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I also agree with Air tag or Tile solution. No monthly costs.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I use the TRACKI brand GPS which is $14 on Amazon and pay $10 a month for the annual subscription. It's works well for me and no worries if it will be in range or not.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Many a race car trailer has been found using one of those air tag things. Don't make it complicated, and make sure it is insured.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Something like an apple airtag would likely be a 95% solution.

The 5% would be if they manage to stash the trailer permanently in a remote area without cell coverage but you would at least have a general area to start looking based on the last known location.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Air tags
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Techsavvy
Explorer
Explorer
Checek out YoGPS.com products

Techsavvy
Explorer
Explorer
mobilefleet wrote:
thinking of starting an rv rental biz. I would like to put gps tracking on each trailer. Any suggestions for a device that is not too costly and works well? I'm sure I'll have to pay a yearly subscription for service but looking to stay under $100 for the device and service too. Currently I have a VYNCS on a motorhome which cost me $70 for the device and one year of service. It's great but only works for motor vehicles that have an OBD2 port. Trailers of course don't have this so looking for options

Have you looked at wireless Magnetic GPS trackers? They dont need to be plugged in or installed. One thing to remember is that they work on rechargeable battery so every few months you need to charge. Check out ***Link Removed***www.yogps.com

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your local "Buy here Pay here" car dealer. Many of them use GPS trackers 😉

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I "googled" trailer tracker and came up with an instant hit on linxup that claims $25 per device and $14.99 per month.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the prepaid cell services, a cheap smartphone and android device manager app. The phones will show on a map and also record location history.

Not perfect but very cheap. Wire the phone up inside the dash or some other hidey hole.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Google "Tile" and "Trak-R"

I believe they both depend on wifi, but they are like $25 and no subscription. Intended for your cell phone, laptop, bicycle, etc, but no reason they wouldn't work on a trailer, except, of course, for that small detail of needing to be near a wifi network.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
And you've scoured the internet looking for this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman