cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Mesa CO - Trip Report

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Until now my fly fishing destinations have been to streams but I've always wanted to try stillwater fishing in alpine lakes, so this time I set my GPS to Grand Mesa in Colorado. My first stop was visiting an old friend who moved to the Denver area several years ago. At first, he kept insisting I stay in their spare bedroom but they have both a cat and a dog and after a few hours visiting the eyes were feeling the allergies. A brief tour convinced him I wasn't exactly roughing it by sleeping in my own bed in the camper.

Next morning I headed up to the Mesa. After a brief stop for some local fly patterns and advice at ANG's Fly Shop located at the Grand Mesa visitor center I headed for my first lake (Cottonwood #5). The roads were actually pretty good, for the most part.

Unfortunately the road back to this lake wasn't in quite as good condition.

Need I say that I didn't even attempt to cross this section but I did find a place to camp further back the road close enough to the lake.

I spent the next day fishing here and am embarrassed to say I didn't have much luck. In my defense, this was the first time I'd tried stillwater fishing for trout and I'm willing to admit odds are the problem was me, not the fish. But with this scenery, I wasn't too upset.

Part of my problem may have been the abundance of zooplankton in the water. (Daphnia?) While small, they was no shortage and a fish swimming around with its mouth open was all that was needed for it to get a meal.

Next day I thought I'd get back to more familiar conditions and check out some of the streams connecting the lakes. But a short hike to the outlet of this particular lake showed the futility of that idea.

Weather forecast was for rain that night and most of the following day and the road to where I was camped was just on the edge of my comfort zone as it was, so I made the move to a more improved section of road and found a place with a view to ride out the weather the next day. The view overlooking Neversweat Reservoir.

The next day was a washout, but at least I wasn't huddled up inside tent. The following day broke rain free so I moved on to Kitson Reservoir.

I inflated my yacht-

and got back out on the water. The day started out as another disappointment and I was beginning to wonder what fish tales I could make up rather than admit to my friends I'd spent 4 days fishing on Grand Mesa and didn't catch a thing. The fourth fly I tried that day changed my luck. It was one I'd picked up at ANG's but I don't remember what it was called. I no longer needed to make up a fish tale. Brought 8 or so to hand and lost maybe half as many on their first jump after being hooked. I should mention that I only fish barbless since I'm primarily a catch and release fisherman. But here, I had to keep one for dinner. And a delicious meal it was...

The fly that changed my luck was a little chewed up by the end of the day. I had bought 2 of each so if I lost one that was successful I'd still have one to copy. The top fly is the unfished fly from ANG's. The middle is what that pattern looked like after the first day's fishing. I didn't have any red chenille that makes up the bulge at the rear but I figured red yarn would be close enough, and I was right. The bottom fly is the one I tied after being fished most of the following day.

There was a time when I would try to be very meticulous in my fly tying. But when you see a fly get that chewed up and it's still catching fish like it was fresh from the vise...

I ate well the following day also fishing in beautiful weather.

It reached the point where I would fish catch and release until my stomach started growling then decide the next one would be for the grill.

The following day had thunderstorms in the forecast and I got a weather alert for the next day calling for heavy rains with snow possible above 12,000'. I was at roughly 10,500' so I did a little sightseeing before heading back for another brief visit to my friend in Denver and the drive home before the weather turned too sour.

All in all, a good trip. Fishing started out embarrassing but once I got the right pattern and technique there was no need for made up fish tales. For any interested, I caught one 8-9" brookie while the remainder were rainbows in the 11-16" range. I'd read Kitson had some graying but I didn't hook any. Maybe next time...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer
17 REPLIES 17

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
nice pics and great trip report!! Thanks.

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing your trip. I haven't been fishing for a while... you sure got my interest up.

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

Bigfoot85
Explorer
Explorer
Wow ... beautiful scenery, superb dining, cozy lodgings ... does it get any better? Must have been tempting to stay another week or two regardless of the snowy forecast! Thank for sharing the adventure with us!!!
Simply.Living.Well.
Bigfoot 9.5
2004 Chevy 2500HD 6.0, 4.10 manual

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Wow! Beautiful place, great photos. That goes on my list. Thanks for sharing.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for posting. We went to Grand Mesa many years ago. I think we fished one of the Cottonwood lakes, but did better in a small lake called Silver Lake. Most of our fish came on Rooster Tails. Grand Mesa is a cool place and we plan on going back there one day.

BradW
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
Real nice TR.
Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
What a great trip report! Even if you had not even mentioned anything about fishing, it would stand alone just on the scenery and time away. Everyone is right about Colorado. I kicked myself every day I worked, realizing how lucky I was and to get paid to be out there every day. Well, maybe not on those brutal windy snow days.

Hurry back, for your next trip to Colorado. The state always enjoys people visiting and spending money there.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very nice.
Thank you,

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
awesome. those are places where i take both a float tube and my kayak to fish. nice report
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
awesome. those are places where i take both a float tube and my kayak to fish. nice report
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Great report and photos. I haven't camped by Grand Mesa for a few years, I'll have to add it to my list again!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Long trip, but when you get to CO, it's all worth it. Very interesting, thanks.

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice trip report and good looking photos of Grand Mesa. Looks like you had a great time out there. Glad that you started catching fish with a fly that finally worked for you. That's a nice area where you were at when the weather cooperates.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver