cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance Needed

Atimm693
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to rig up my truck for some weekend trips to lakes in the area that are too far for day trips.

I've done a little research and could use some guidance on the best route. I have an 06 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4, with the standard 6.5' bed.

A camper shell is the easiest and cheapest option. What turns me off the most about it is that I need my truck for work, and switching between work and play would be tedious. There are also no options for air conditioning, it's hot in Missouri.

I like the idea of a slide in, the truck could go from work to play in 30 minutes, but it seems like the market is full of decked out monstrosities that cost as much as a small home. I do not have a need for an overhead bunk, a bathroom, **** tank, etc. Does anyone know if there are any basic bare bones slide-ins available?
24 REPLIES 24

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Four Wheeler TCs are good. But they are expensive and almost never for sale used. The only reason I have never owned one.

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to wait and check these out. Manufactured by Eagle Cap/Adventurer. Scout camper. Two more new models coming.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/adventurer-launches-scout-olympic-truck-camper/

https://www.scoutcampers.com/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can make a cardboard box into a "camper" as well, but it all depends on the space and amenities you're shooting for.
Fwiw, I don't consider a topper an upgrade from a tent. Maybe an equal depending on the setup and a downgrade in some scenarios.

I still love tent camping. Proba ly have spent enough nights in a tent to cover a couple years straight up, but it sure is luxurious to have an actual camper with fridge, heater, stove, water, shower, etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JD5150
Explorer
Explorer
You would get more head room with a commercial topper. Go with barn doors so you don't have to mess with climbing over or dealing with a tailgate.

For the price of a used camper and if you don't need 4x4 you could look around for a used full size cargo van. Most have 55 inches or more of head room. Easier to get in and out of. More doors to enter/exit van or get to camping gear. Can leave boat trailer hitched up and still have a clear path to enter van from side door

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I started out in a truck cap when I was younger. Was sure a lot better then a tent. Put plywood on the floor, covers on the windows and a sleeping bag.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
We did befriend a retired guy who was spending time at the lake in his camper shell. He was happy till rain come over and the shell allowed water inside. Than he was happy when we allow him to spend evening inside our heated camper.
To each of his own.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I would look for a used Four Wheeler TC, there perfect for a 150/1500 truck.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you got with a shell and plan to sleep on the floor, consider a bed rug.

https://realtruck.com/p/bedrug-full-bedliner/?gclid=CjwKCAjw7e_0BRB7EiwAlH-goDNJ62c-Eh7tmR_xWe0obf9A...
It makes the floor flat and insulates the sides.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Atimm693
Explorer
Explorer
The camper shell is starting to grow on me.

I could probably just throw down a rubber mat that is easy to clean.

I'm sure there are some storage solutions that could keep all my gear together and make it easier to transition from work to play mode.

Some sound deadening/insulation on the camper shell and truck bed interior would make it a little more liveable.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I started same as you, with a half ton that I put bigger springs and tires on, a camper and a 17’ boat.
I managed to have a lot of fun with it. I also managed to break the rear axle lol... and the thing wasn’t fun to drive. It always felt like it had too much on its back.
I hate to jump on the “you’ve got the wrong truck” bandwagon... but you’ve got the wrong truck.
3/4 or one tons handle SO much better with a load.

A really basic small camper with nothing in it will be light enough but there aren’t many like that.
They exist, Four Wheel Campers are one of the main go-to rigs. But they’re not really that light.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Atimm693
Explorer
Explorer
Great advice, thanks. Definitely came to the right place. The truck already has 10 plies on it. Gravel roads here are hell on tires.

Kayteg1 wrote:
What boat do you have?
I used to own Cabin Cruiser, that slept 4 and it was all we needed for weekends at the lakes. With 5000 lb on the trailer, I towed it with SUV
Our friend did own light boat, who with like 2000 lb had small cabin where 2 +2 could sleep. He carried porta-potty on it.

17ft Tracker Deep V.

I have considered that, but generally boats with living quarters are not that great to fish out of.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Responses that you’ll be over your rated payload with much more than a topper are correct. However with tires and suspension help, small pop ups and Capri type campers are just fine.
Depends how much you want to spend. TCs are Expensive for their size. Pop ups even a bit more if in good condition.
Good luck searching!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
What boat do you have?
I used to own Cabin Cruiser, that slept 4 and it was all we needed for weekends at the lakes. With 5000 lb on the trailer, I towed it with SUV
Our friend did own light boat, who with like 2000 lb had small cabin where 2 +2 could sleep. He carried porta-potty on it.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck is unsuitable for just about any camper you can purchase. It has very low payload and a short bed. The fact that you will also have tongue weight from towing a boat makes the payload situation even worse.
I had this same problem. I owned a short bed 1500 Dodge and I got what I thought was a lightweight pop-up camper. It had no bathroom, gray water tank, or water heater. It was just me in the truck with minimal gear. I even took the spare tire off the truck to save weight. Even then, I was still over the GVWR of the truck by 700 pounds with no trailer hitched up. I was under the axle ratings but just barely. I added air bags, aftermarket shocks, and load range E tires. I used the camper that way for about 1 year before I bought a 3500 to haul it on while pulling the boat.
You can search and search for a super lightweight camper. You can then modify your truck with E tires, air bags, anti-sway bar, etc. You will still have to watch every pound you put in the rig.
Save some time, money, and aggravation and upgrade your truck to a 3500. There's no reason to get a 2500, you need payload capacity.
My last camper was an 11' camper and I carried it on a 3500 dually. It had no basement and no slides. I was still 1,600 pounds over the truck's GVWR before hitching the boat. TCs are HEAVY and most trucks have very little payload.