cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance Needed

Atimm693
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to rig up my truck for some weekend trips to lakes in the area that are too far for day trips.

I've done a little research and could use some guidance on the best route. I have an 06 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4, with the standard 6.5' bed.

A camper shell is the easiest and cheapest option. What turns me off the most about it is that I need my truck for work, and switching between work and play would be tedious. There are also no options for air conditioning, it's hot in Missouri.

I like the idea of a slide in, the truck could go from work to play in 30 minutes, but it seems like the market is full of decked out monstrosities that cost as much as a small home. I do not have a need for an overhead bunk, a bathroom, **** tank, etc. Does anyone know if there are any basic bare bones slide-ins available?
24 REPLIES 24

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck is unsuitable for just about any camper you can purchase. It has very low payload and a short bed. The fact that you will also have tongue weight from towing a boat makes the payload situation even worse.
I had this same problem. I owned a short bed 1500 Dodge and I got what I thought was a lightweight pop-up camper. It had no bathroom, gray water tank, or water heater. It was just me in the truck with minimal gear. I even took the spare tire off the truck to save weight. Even then, I was still over the GVWR of the truck by 700 pounds with no trailer hitched up. I was under the axle ratings but just barely. I added air bags, aftermarket shocks, and load range E tires. I used the camper that way for about 1 year before I bought a 3500 to haul it on while pulling the boat.
You can search and search for a super lightweight camper. You can then modify your truck with E tires, air bags, anti-sway bar, etc. You will still have to watch every pound you put in the rig.
Save some time, money, and aggravation and upgrade your truck to a 3500. There's no reason to get a 2500, you need payload capacity.
My last camper was an 11' camper and I carried it on a 3500 dually. It had no basement and no slides. I was still 1,600 pounds over the truck's GVWR before hitching the boat. TCs are HEAVY and most trucks have very little payload.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a palomino 1603 on a 1500 truck it hauled it great, you will have to upgrade your tires to 10 ply. Go to craigslist you probaly can find a older pop up TC.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck won't handle the payload of a truck camper that will give you much more convenience than a tent. For the price of a new truck and the right camper, you may as well rent a cabin at the lake your'e going to; that's what I did before getting a camper (but I have a one ton).

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a camper shell with side doors so you can access your work tools and materials. Leave it on all the time. Build a platform to sleep on with a big sliding drawer underneath that comes out the back. Work and play all in one.
You can add a little cabinet or two and a small table.

I have been sleeping in the back of my pickup for almost 50 years. Good for pulling a boat, snow and strong winds. Easy to haul around a camper shell with a few improvements.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Atimm693 wrote:
it seems like the market is full of decked out monstrosities that cost as much as a small home...

From what I know, the $75,000 new units cost can buy you quite a big house in several areas of this country.
How handy are you? You can buy older units in the $4000 range and when they might have small bathroom, they will need "TLC".
Just try to find 1 with electric jacks for 3 minutes drop-off.
For me shower and bathroom are main reason for owning TC, but everybody has different needs.
However I don't think anybody can last without a toilet.
Still making right choice from start is whole wisdom.
You can rent small unit what is Lance on Ford F150.
That will give you an idea what you can expect from "basic" unit and how well it works for you.

Atimm693
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
Have you considered a small travel trailer?

I'll be pulling a boat.

Thanks for the suggestions.

DIY is an option, but needs more consideration.

Think I'm going to call Capri and see how cheap they can build a Cowboy. They're pretty spendy fully set up.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered a small travel trailer?
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What’s your truck’s payload? Easy to overload even with a minimalist camper.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
back in the old days I made my own slide in camper ,had two bunks ,coleman stove ice box even a sink with hand pump water. and a furnace made out of a 5 gal bucket fresh air in, exhaust out closed system. f250 4x4 fiberglass cap.stayed on unit slid out onto a table with wheels. ain,t that hard .

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slide in Pop Ups
such as fourwheel campers (url is all one word.com)
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags