cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hail....how hard to replace skylight

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
We had a hail storm this evening and the skylight over the tub was busted thru. The inner-shell didn't break, just the rooftop outer-shell. I tapped it over with duck tape and covered it with a trash bag, tapped down to keep the rain out tonight. Sigh.. Bad timing as we are leaving Saturday for our big trip.

Anyway I'm not sure the dealer will be able to get to it as fast as I would want, a lot of damage in the area so I'm sure this is small potatoes.

The question..... If I can get a outer shell skylight from them, how hard is it to replace? How do you get the sealant off and prep the area for a new skylight? What Dicor is best for installing a new skylight...self level or non leveling?
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow
11 REPLIES 11

Double_Haul
Explorer
Explorer
It took me about 5 hrs to replace mine. About 4.5 hrs to remove the skylight and all the dicor and butyl caulk and about .5 hrs to replace and recaulk. I ordered my new skylight on line and it came with a tube of butyl caulk to use between the skylight and roof. Then I used dicor self leveling over the flange and scews. I would patch for now and tackle when you have some time.
2016 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Crew Cab, Duramax
2005 Terry 270FQS
2006 North River 20' Seahawk

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Patch the hole and any cracks with Eternabond.
Replace the skylight when you return from your trip.

X2 Ditto

Go to Ace hardware they carry and extensive line of JB Weld products.

They make one for plastic that you can apply in wet conditions even if the plastic is UNDER WATER!! I used it on a water fountain it's unbelievable stuff. Just knead the putty together and it's ready to go. IMHO a must to have on board an RV better than eternabond.

JB WaterWeld.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
No damage to the rest of the TT?

Not sure yet, it was dark last night. It's 630am now so when the sun comes up a bit, I'll get on the rubber roof to inspect. The truck and house seem ok (metal roof). All the neighbors lost their screen enclosures and some trees down. just a good golf ball sized hail storm.
2024 Grand Design 22MLE

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
No damage to the rest of the TT?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Woe, I've never done this but, I was under the impression you could just replace the plastic cover part without replacing the whole skylight.

When I purchased my used TT they told me one of the covers had been replaced and it was obvious that it had. It was much clearer then the other one. After having been on the roof I can assure you that the whole thing was not replaced just the cover.

There must be a way

This ^^^^^ Easy to replace the dome only. There are several types so you have to get the correct one. Mine blew off during a trip. I got a replacement and replaced it in the campground after bowering a ladder. On mine I needed a pliers and that was it. Took no longer than 15 minutes.

DO NOT REPLACE THE FRAME!!! There is no need to!!!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woe, I've never done this but, I was under the impression you could just replace the plastic cover part without replacing the whole skylight.

When I purchased my used TT they told me one of the covers had been replaced and it was obvious that it had. It was much clearer then the other one. After having been on the roof I can assure you that the whole thing was not replaced just the cover.

There must be a way

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mine on a 1984 Aljo was simple as all that was required was to pull the sealant from around the screw heads and remove them. I replaced it with one that was white and was advertised as unbreakable. Used the butyl tape under the flange and installed the screws. Scrapped off the excess butyl tape that squeezed out then used a roof sealant over the screw heads and lap joint just like OEM.
The white was much cooler than the smoke color OEM cover.

Now my neighbors skylight replacement was a different deal on his used trailer. Some RV newby had ran Eternabond around the skylight. I was 4 hours getting the 2 rows of Eternabond off and another 4-5 hours fixing the mess the neighbor made of the rubber roof on his attempt at removing the Eternabond.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Patch the hole and any cracks with Eternabond.
Replace the skylight when you return from your trip.

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm....interesting thought on the patch it idea. Would fiberglass work? It isn't seen ....its on the roof. Skylight has a Silver dollar size hole but I may have the missing chunks.
2024 Grand Design 22MLE

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would call a plastics company and see if they can build you a temporary cover. They might be able to put together something to slide overtop from the front to protect the area, maybe you can put it on and enjoy your trip, then fix it later.

I would not start with an unfamiliar reno if you can secure it until later.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I saw your post on the Keystone forum. Use a heat gun (to warm and soften caulk) and plastic scraper with utility knife to remove old caulk and skylight. Hopefully the screws will back out with a screw gun. Be careful with heat gun and utility knife to not slice or overheat the roof membrane.
Do a YouTube search for rv skylight replacement or installation and I'm sure you will find good step by step instructions.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.