cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Happijac motors

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
So one of my motors went out on my Happijac. After being told that it would work with the old motors I got two. One for the replacement and one to have on hand. It works well. It is quieter than the other jacks and I think it faster than the older ones. I was just finishing up putting the camper on the truck when I looked up and realized that I would not be able to flip in the dually bracket because of the height of the motor. The things you forget to ask or course they don't make the other ones any more so I will use it. I will move the back motors to the front and use the new ones on the back. That being said any ideas for making the motor work with my lower overhang. It needs about 4 inches more clearance between the top of the motor and the camper overhang. If I drop the jack down it will be more of a hazard. Driving with the jack open on the driver's side I do a lot but on the passenger side makes for a lot more blind spots.
23 REPLIES 23

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
I may not be understanding but why do you need 4" clearance above the motor to the overhang? wouldn't 1" clearance be more than enough?

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted on your results! Hope it works !
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

makito
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to give this a try Wednesday. I am buying two new style motors and will put those on my rear jacks. I will keep my two good condition old style motors on my front jacks and use my existing old style controller. Fingers crossed everything works as it should.
2020 GMC Sierra HD 3500 Double Cab
2004 Bigfoot 25C-10.6E
Airlift airbags - Torklift Fastguns and tiedowns

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with Happijac recently about the same scenario. I was first told they were going to bring the old style back. Then I was told they weren’t and I needed all new jacks, motors and controller if one old style motor failed. I told them about the clearance issue for the front swing out brackets and they really didn’t seem to care.Lots of campers out there with clearance issues. Great customer service! I have one motor that’s hanging in there for now.
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s.

makito
Explorer
Explorer
Can you confirm that you are using one of the new upright motors with the old controller? I need to replace two motors and don't want to replace all four for the same reasons. The front ones won't fit. I am hoping I can use new motors with the old controller and just be careful when nearing the end of the jacks travel.
2020 GMC Sierra HD 3500 Double Cab
2004 Bigfoot 25C-10.6E
Airlift airbags - Torklift Fastguns and tiedowns

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The newer jacks are longer on the bottom, not the top so didn't reduce your overhang clearance - but would get that much closer to the ground if you lower them.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

rutzbeck
Explorer
Explorer
I do have the newer jacks. I replaced them with the 4800 last year. That might be part of the problem. I like how the new jack and motor works but not being able to flip in the jack on the passenger side will be a problem when it goes. For right now I will put the new ones in the rear.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
4" interference isn't exactly in the "just slam it closed range". Also, should you need to replace the jacks themselves, you will find they are about 3" longer at the bottom, so now you would really be dragging them if moved down.

Most of the retailers warn that the new motors are taller and may not clear the overhang. They also warn that the new motors do not have an overload clutch, that function having been moved inside the electronics of the new controller - so be careful at the ends of travel.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

joerg68
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your plan sounds like a reasonable attempt.
Now we know what one of the reasons for the original design may have been.
Sorry I have no better idea.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow