cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone got rear ended while on the highway?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
while on the 295 standing to merge on to the 95 in Florida. Here comes Mr. speedy and Bam!! rear ends my T.T. what a way to start your vacation, with only 2 more hours to arrive to my destination. Has anyone ever experience an incident like this while traveling?:M
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
40 REPLIES 40

cream_peach
Explorer
Explorer
In 1995 on 127 N of Lansing Mi, stoped in left turn lane. Pulling a popup at the time, 75 miles from home, 75 miles to campground. Young man was not feeling well (drunk) but the cops drove him home. Could not put the back part out on the popup to sleep. Insurance bought us a new one.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Redterpos3 wrote:

Still can't figure out why anyone would stop in the middle of that ramp. It is just not a place to stop, ever!

Stopping in the middle of a ramp still gives you room to get up to speed to "merge" with traffic (my preferred method would be to idle forward...judging that opening....speeding up to fit into that spot). Can Not do that if you stop at the end of the ramp...your run-up speed will be taking place in the traffic lane, instead of the ramp where it should occur.

Of course, if traffic is at a stand-still, you might as well drive to the end of the ramp, and hopefully "take-your-turn" at merging if the oncoming traffic is allowing it.

Either way...YEILD means YOU must stop if merging safely is not possible. The traffic lane has no obligation to allow you in....you have an obligation to merge or STOP.

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
kennyd63 wrote:
Has anyone ever experience an incident like this while traveling?:M

Not with my trailer but with my first car a used '71 Buick Skylark, 30 years ago. Someone stopped on the ramp going from I-95 to the Washington Beltway to turn into a construction zone. The guy behind him came to a screeching halt, as did I, but the small toyota behind me didn't. Well, he did, but only after slamming into my rear. His whole front end was obliterated. My Buick's rear taillight was pushed in (still worked though), and a few bumper scratches.

Still can't figure out why anyone would stop in the middle of that ramp. It is just not a place to stop, ever!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

The genius cop gave me rats for not towing the trailer to the next exit, because it was obvious to him that the damage was not a problem.

He gave you rats??? :h

You're from the left end of the country, so you wouldn't understand. ๐Ÿ™‚

Please enlighten me. Some day I just may go over to the right side of the country...never know.:)

Ron

Lol.....Never heard that term......I have no idea what that means!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

The genius cop gave me rats for not towing the trailer to the next exit, because it was obvious to him that the damage was not a problem.

Please enlighten me. Some day I just may go over to the right side of the country...never know.:)

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
kennyd63 wrote:
while on the 295 standing to merge on to the 95 in Florida. Here comes Mr. speedy and Bam!! rear ends my T.T. what a way to start your vacation, with only 2 more hours to arrive to my destination. Has anyone ever experience an incident like this while traveling?:M

kennyd63 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sorry about the rear ending.........

Accidents are never fun regardless of when they happen

Please clarify

WHY you were 'standing to merge' :H

Old- Biscuit traffic came to a stand still on the 295 while merging to the 95.

Biggest issue with many drivers is they have "Tunnel" vision. That is not looking at the big picture!!
My Mother taught me to be always looking well down the road for early warning of issues. Too many only look at the car ahead of them, and then s*** happens!@ They have no time to react correctly.

To the OP sorry to hear of your miss fortune, bummer way to start a vacation.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep!

It's the most common type of accident, with almost all drivers following too closely and many driving with their attention diverted.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate tailgaters with a passion. Causes me a lot of stress and anxiety when it happens.

I got rear-ended in our car 16 years ago as I was stopped on a country road waiting to turn left across oncoming traffic. Just as I looked in the rear view mirror, a guy in a pickup truck plowed into me doing about 50 mph with a 30 mph speed limit. I was catapulted straight ahead and fortunately did not have my wheels turned to go left otherwise would have hit oncoming traffic and died. I am 100% positive he was on his cell phone. I have had chronic back pain ever since and all that happened to him was his insurance premium might have gone up for a while. I still have an image in my head of the mirror standing still and the car shooting forward. The mirror was found in the back seat.

I often get drivers following so close you can't see them except for a shadow on a sunny day. Seems like just because you have an RV, you are holding them up no matter what speed you are going... Towing a TT and heading into a 2-lane on-ramp can be pretty bad sometimes and drivers will come up alongside and think they can get by first. There was a thread recently where there was talk about adding a turn signal part way up the side of a TT and I might do that.

We were in Ca. in Sept. driving up a 2-lane passing section and a driver in a small car couldn't wait to pass and came very close to being in an accident similar to this youtube clip. Fortunately the alert semi driver ahead saw the idiot coming and was able to move over quickly enough to give him room to squeeze by. Stupid drivers are everywhere you go.

Why would anyone drive along a shoulder and even speed up in order to find room to get into the flow of traffic? Not only very unsafe but a good way to pick up something that will puncture a tire.

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Thread title changed. Let's keep the locker room humor to ourselves.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Sorry about the rear ending.........

Accidents are never fun regardless of when they happen

Please clarify

WHY you were 'standing to merge' :H

Old- Biscuit traffic came to a stand still on the 295 while merging to the 95.
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been on many impossible on ramps where you have to stop because the merge is so short and traffic so thick you MUST stop and no shoulder!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
I also want to know. were you sitting still on the ramp? If so. Why? I have seen traffic so bad you couldn't merge, but run along the medium till I find a hole. I always try to hit the bottom of the ramp at the speed limit of the interstate. Gives you more options.

Don't quite understand why anyone would go full speed into an impossible situation. Expecting all the traffic on thru lanes to get out of your way is not the definition of yield.

Anyway, I had to stop on a short ramp while pulling a snowmobile trailer due to solid thru traffic. The no stop, full speed ahead, idiot behind me slammed the trailer causing the hitch and coupler to be destroyed. The genius cop gave me rats for not towing the trailer to the next exit, because it was obvious to him that the damage was not a problem. The coupler was off the ball and pinched between the ball and bumper.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear that everyone was ok!

(Edited after subject heading was altered.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."