cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haunted Microwave

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Ever heard of a Power Converter that makes a microwave oven go crazy? We have a 2004 Tahoe Lite with a Parallax 6300 Q Power Converter. We thought we had a haunted microwave as it would all of a sudden start up on its own, display 2222 once in a while, then just quit working, then start up again. We had to unplug it at night as it would beep and start and stop.

So I replaced the microwave and the new one is starting to do weird things also. Must be the Power Converter sending dirty electricity along the microwave circuit.

Any suggestions, ideas?
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
10 REPLIES 10

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Now microwave is working fine. When I first installed the new one, it lit up but didn't work at all. Plugged it into another outlet on a different circuit, then it worked. So, thought I'd re-plug back into the micro circuit, still working after 3 days. Nothing worse than diagnosing electrical problems unless sparks fly. Electricity is just a theory anyway. then Bill Gates made everything worse.

I firmly believe this is not specific to 12Vdc or positive ground but applies to all wiring, enjoy! http://thecompassadjuster.com/education/resources/smoke-theory-of-electricity.html

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the recommendation. Now microwave is working fine. When I first installed the new one, it lit up but didn't work at all. Plugged it into another outlet on a different circuit, then it worked. So, thought I'd re-plug back into the micro circuit, still working after 3 days. Nothing worse than diagnosing electrical problems unless sparks fly. Electricity is just a theory anyway. then Bill Gates made everything worse.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've read many good comments on here about Progressive Dynamics (PD) over the years.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Any recommendations as to what a good power converter brand is?

The microwave is a new Kenmore, it replaced a Samsung
Progressive Dynamics. Mine is working fine after 45 years.

The 12V system doesn't power the microwave so a loss of 120V power is due to an interruption somewhere between the microwave and the load center (assumes your shore cord is good or generator produces consistent power). The number 1 suspect for me would be the receptacle the microwave is connected to or (if you've never looked at them) the lugs in the load center.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
I had an intermittent microwave, finally got around to testing the outlet it plugged into and it had gone bad. I replaced it with a normal 20amp outlet from HD,, had to cut the hole a little bigger and use a small plastic box, but now it works fine

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations as to what a good power converter brand is?

The microwave is a new Kenmore, it replaced a Samsung
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could also be bad boards used in that brand of microwave.

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/5-reasons-why-a-microwave-might-turn-on-by-itself

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
My microwave is used as a bread box. I still have no clue as to why it was installed in the first place?

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
deleted

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Hows your battery? With that converter a battery is mandatory. Normally, without one it will put a ton of noise and ripple into the 12V line. I suppose it could be putting something onto the 120V line but that isn't very likely.
That really is a terrible converter. I would upgrade it before it leaves you sitting some weekend with a dead battery like it did to us in our last TT. Oh and it ruined the battery too.