cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you tried Nexen Roadian AT tires?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Search funtion turns up a few threads on the highway tires, but I don't see any on the AT. They get pretty good reviews elsewhere -- and are cheap, which might be a good thing or a bad thing :B. They come in a 123 load rating,

Anybody know about these tires?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
30 REPLIES 30

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, such a variety of experience! Hard to know what to think.

I wonder if there is something else you guys would recommend for me? IIRC, the transforce are not rated all that great for rain.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a pair for the back of my truck and a set for my 5er at the same time.
Truck tires ran less than 20K miles and worn out. Trailer threw the tread off two of them in less than 2 yrs and 4K miles.
Refused warranty on any of them. My dealer no longer sells them.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
These tires came stock when I bought my Ram DRW truck new off lot. Replaced the fronts after 20,000 miles. Horrible wear and balance despite taking truck in three times for rotate, balance and check the alignment. Backs are more than half worn. Still cant see all of Lincolns head with 27,000 miles on them. Replaced fronts with Firestone TransForce HTs. They are wearing nice and hold balance and alignment much better. Look new after over 7000 miles on them. Will probably replace rear DRW tires with same Firestones.

Richmcm
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased four Nexen Rodain HT tires for our MH from our tire dealer. They are a local family owned shop that deals in a heavy fleet service in the area. They recommended the Roadian HT over the Firestone Transforce HT that provided great service for 5 trouble free years. The original tires were Michelin tires and they were full of sidewall cracks at 4 years old. The shop recommended the Transforce to replace the Michelins then and said that the Rodian has given them trouble free service on all of there fleet trucks for years. They said the sidewall is thicker than the Transforce and recommended them over the Firestone and Cooper tires. They were slightly less expensive also. I usually listen to them since they sell a lot of tires and have a stellar reputation in our area plus I always have had great luck with any tire they have put on all of our vehicles. I have about 500 miles on them pulling our car on the tow dolly and have to say that they ride nice. We will see about their longevity.
Rich & Diane
2006 Aspect 26 A
Nitro 640 LX

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Goldang it, the above post was longer, but I cannot get it to upload.

Continuing:

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
On a budget, they're probably fine, but likely not the toughest longest lasting tires you'd find.
Craigslist or Amazon have been my go to for tires for the last 10 years.

I have looked used, but haven'the found anything good, with a good date stamp.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a plan. Don't get up in the pucker bush and have an issue. I've heard that Carlisle Tires are a good brand (USA Made) but have never tried them. U-Haul uses them exclusively on their rental trailers and we all know those trailers get abused.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, TC's and truck tires are a funny couple. I prefer to err on the safe side. Like I said, a blowout on the e-way last year with the camper on. By the time I got it stopped (and I was only doing 60), my undies were soiled. You really know you have a camper in the bed when a tire goes south at speed.

Of course the real bad part was to come. Changing a tire on the berm in 80 degree heat and having to extract the spare (which of course was filthy, from under the truck, what a joy, an exercise in bloody elbows and choice cuss words. I always carry the tools though, Socket to fit, breaker bar, bottle jack and wood block.

Of course the flat was on the traffic side and I was maybe 8" from 70 mph vehicles that were oblivious to me sticking out there.

I learned a valuable lesson. Get farther off the road if possible and I'm carrying my spare on the front of the truck now. Might not be the most stylish place for a spare but it's the safest and easiest to deal with.
2015 Backpack SS1500

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
work2much wrote:
They came stock on my new truck. So far they have been fine but only 1,000 miles on them. They seem quiet and handle ok. We will be putting on 8-10,000 miles over the next few months in Alaska with a heavy TC. Hopefully they will be up to the task.

If I were you, I would take the spare and mount a Michelin or Firestone on the rim and sell the tire thats on it now if it's the same brand. Alaska can be an issue with a flat.

OEM's tend to put less than stellar tires on new vehicles as a rule. They get them in lots as cheap as possible.

Tires and TC are funny things. I've had a blowout before and it's not fun but my blowout was due to a road hazard (railroad spike in the road) If the tire people made a run flat 10 ply truck tire, I'd have a set in a minute,

Originally I had planned on replacing all the tires with my usual Michelin tires that have treated me well over the years. After looking online though it seemed that people were generally happy with these stock tires. I couldn't really find any horror stories. Time will tell. We are heading to Alaska now and will be there in a few weeks after traveling through Oregon, Washington and Canada. If anything odd happens between now and then I will have them replaced before getting too far away.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
work2much wrote:
They came stock on my new truck. So far they have been fine but only 1,000 miles on them. They seem quiet and handle ok. We will be putting on 8-10,000 miles over the next few months in Alaska with a heavy TC. Hopefully they will be up to the task.

If I were you, I would take the spare and mount a Michelin or Firestone on the rim and sell the tire thats on it now if it's the same brand. Alaska can be an issue with a flat.

OEM's tend to put less than stellar tires on new vehicles as a rule. They get them in lots as cheap as possible.

Tires and TC are funny things. I've had a blowout before and it's not fun but my blowout was due to a road hazard (railroad spike in the road) If the tire people made a run flat 10 ply truck tire, I'd have a set in a minute,

Agree about OE tires, in most cases and about having some good rubber if you're going off roading in AK, with a TC, but michceling and Firestone are not the only good tires you can buy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On a budget, they're probably fine, but likely not the toughest longest lasting tires you'd find.
Craigslist or Amazon have been my go to for tires for the last 10 years.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:

2015 Backpack SS1500

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
If they aren't domestic Firestones or Michelin, I would be leery. I put a set of Kuhmo's on my tandem gooseneck and they lasted a year and came apart.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
They come in a 123 load rating, which is over 3400lbs for a 265, for example.