cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDTV antenna anyone???

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
i tried out an HDTV antenna (boosted) from a tv store and it only got me 4 channels. i started to look into them and found the jack antenna with good reviews. thinking about getting one for my pup.

anyone try this product? anyone in general cut into their roof to install any add ons? i'm curious if there are cross member rails on these pups since installing this would require you cut a 2.25" hole.

how about any other HDTV antenna types?
27 REPLIES 27

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, in all honesty, I just grabbed an image off the net. I wouldn't suggest using the color codes shown in the graphic! Unless you were going to film it, that is.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
couldn't resist 🙂
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Jeff - how true it is haha... i got one of those here too - Had to replace my Jensen AM/FM radio awhile back... The JENSEN has +RED and -BLACK power cables. So RED got tapped into the trailer +black and BLACK got tapped in the trailer -white haha...

Makes us old guys turn over in our graves right....
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
bondebond wrote:
You just get some automotive splice connectors,

and tap an existing line.
Hey Now!
Datz a short u got goin der..
Jeff - WA6EQU

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
the jack antenna is pretty small. i have a panel now that about 2x4 and i can probably fit another 2 up there.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now you will want to install some solar panels on the roof and guess what - The JACK antenna will be in the way haha... You never win....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
yes exactly bondebond. i meant the converter 🙂 i don't know the amperage draw the box has but i suspect it's extremely low. it's just a signal booster with led's to give feedback on signal strength. i agree about the oddball lead to/from the battery. i'll probably just tap into one of the overhead lights since i can see a lead right next to the box. thanks!

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
By inverter, I suspect you mean the power converter, the master power center? When speaking in RV terms, converter usually is used in reference to the power center that brings in 120v AC power, distributes 120v circuits inside the PUP, converts the 120v AC to 12v DC and is also the distribution panel for those circuits and last but not least, has a connection to the battery for charging it, if so equipped.
An inverter is typically referred to as an add-on inverter that takes 12v DC and changes it to 120v AC to power things such as televisions, DVD players and the like.

As for tapping into an existing 12v DC line, most of them IMO are under-utilized.

First, identify each of the 12v circuits and what is powered by them. I have added 12v lights to existing circuits after figuring out what is on the rest of the circuit and determining how load is needed if all are on at the same time.

The nice thing about doing this you don't have to run any wires to the outside of the PUP and have an oddball connection hanging off of the battery. You just get some automotive splice connectors,

and tap an existing line.

What's the draw of this junction box, # of amps?

You certainly could run a new line from the battery directly to it. Be sure to install an in-line fuse so you don't have a possible run-away situation.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
yeah i had a lil anxiety about drilling but it turned out great. the results were very clean and factory looking. the model antenna i got doesn't have the power adapter. it came with a junction box that has input for external cable, input from the jacks unit and output to 2 tvs. on the same board, it has two pins for 12v dc power and ground.

can anyone tell me where i can tap power from? does anyone know if i can tap into my inverter? i just may run a line straight to my battery if all else fails.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My JACK ANTENNA came with one of these 120VAC Power transformer adapter and power injector adapters. You just plug this into the 120VAC receptacle. I didnt use them as my popup has the Wingard Antenna panel installed so all I do is push in the BLACK button which applies 12VDC power to the JACK ANTENNA,

I take it your POPUP does not have one of these antenna panels installed. Looks like this... I just connect my outside antenna into this F-connector and push in the BLACK push button. My outside antenna feeds this antenna panel inside my trailer.

You sure are a brave soul drilling holes in your POPUP roof...

I went with a PVC pipe with to of those steel short 5-foot antenna masts (LOWES) up the side of the popup which takes all of five minutes to install. I can reach out the window flap and rotate it.

I was using a LOWES $90 great big Channel Master VHF/UHF Antenna in this photo shown here which really worked great but after about 20-30 trips I finally destroyed it folding it back up for each trip.

I am currently using a BATWING on this setup now and it picks up 6-36 digital channels just about everywhere we go here on the East side of the US.

My JACK ANTENNA is a backup antenna at the house in case the cable goes out. It get 8 digital channels at the house.

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tsanjose
Explorer
Explorer
bringing this back from the dead... i finally installed my jacks antenna this weekend. cut a hole in my roof, ran the coax down the curtain and mounted the coax outlet into my counter. turned out great! the only thing i didnt do is connect the power and ground to the booster.

can anyone tell me if i should run this directly to the battery? it says to run to 12v DC source. can i tap into something else?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I looked around for a current spec sheet on these but found nothing. I do know that the F/B is very high, so don’t expect to see anything off the rear of the antenna.

Not recommended, but you can TRY two of these back to back and feed them into a 1x2 splitter (now a combiner) and see if it works. Often the multipath will kill this idea
Jeff - WA6EQU

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jeff - Was wondering what the front to back might be on this setup... Haven't seen that listed anywhere yet. I see AMAZON has the DB8 array for around $60...

I live 50 miles from both Washington DC and Richmond VA almost in a straight line for both cites. I'm hoping the front to back will allow me to pick both directions without moving the array here at the house... Thats my game plane anyway...

Each of the digital channel groups usually have all six assignment covered with something. I like to have the 24/7 radar channels going when camping.

Always a good idea to keep tabs on the weather fronts moving thru when you are sitting there in a POPUP...

I have it covered pretty good using the local towns NATL BROADCAST digital TV channels and NOAH WX radio when we are camping off the power grids around here...

One of my favorite spots is up in the George Washington Natl Forest here which runs right up to the VA/WVA mountain state line. I like to drag my OFF-ROAD POPUP up there and setup and help out with RACES-SKYWARN-Weather alerts with our local group here in VA. Sitting up there I usually pick up around 80-90 digital TV channels scanning in the various transmitting towns around VA. Of course that sounds great but actually they are all sending out the same NATL TV channels haha. You do get to see some differences in the six digital channel each one gets to use for something other than the Natl Broadcast lineup (ABC-CBS-NBC etc)...

Sure is great picking full blown high def digital TV signals free to the public... Even the bears and squirrels like to watch some NCIS and CSI channels haha...

Roy Ken
Roy - Carolyn
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
That actually is the oldest antenna ever made for UHF and has been around since the early 50's. It's called a Bowtie antenna and is an excellent antenna. That one pictured is a stacked 4-bay Bowtie (8bay)
Jeff - WA6EQU