cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Coachman Apex vs Freedom Express (or ??)

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
Been years since I've owned a camper. Wife and I started looking at used, then looking at the materials that each manufactured uses. Long tory short we liked the Coachman 248RBS layout when we saw it on line. We looked and worked a good deal and actually put a deposit on one and were all set to get it. Went to the dealer to take delivery and found a "big-to me" issue and told the dealer not accepting. Dealer was fine with this, so we started looking at other ones they had on the lot. In came the Apex 250RLS, i lose my outdoor kithcen but we gain a better sleeper sofa and much more counter space. I also liked the porcelain toilet in the 248RBS, the one in the Apex was plastic and wobbly..

I can't find anything on-line about the floor construction on these, can anyone give me some advice? I was told the 248RBS uses actual plywood, and seems the Apex uses Luan??

Anyone own either the 248RBS or Apex 250RLS, what do you like or dislike?

Anyone comment on the quality of either, both, or coachman in general?

Thank you in advance
25 REPLIES 25

QCMan
Nomad III
Nomad III

Seems like there is no new content so the few people here are responding to ancient questions. Sad.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

I believe these are new visitors to the site and just responding based on what may come up in a google search and probably not noticing the post dates. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

^ Yup that’s what’s happening. But this forum is done for. It’ll limp along a little but true to fashion the owner of CW decided to get cheap and not have customer service in mind (no surprise) and due to that a once outdated but good functional forum format got turned into this glitchy platform because they got the IT guy to make a forum “in house.”  

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JANE2
Explorer
Explorer

I HAVE a 2016 Freedom Express 248RBS .  THE flooring  is becoming soft in the high traffic areas. There are no leaks or water damage.  I AM looking to upgrade to a toyhauler. Other than that it is an excellent model. 

I’m sure the OP figured it out by now, 6 years later. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I am sure the OP would appreciate the feedback but this post is 7 years old and the OP hasn't posted here in almost as long. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

TheHound
Explorer
Explorer
CampinFL wrote:
Got the Minnie Plus 27bhss, walk through was great only had a couple of minor cosmetic issues they took care of. Had them remove every access panel, checked every outlet, USB port, AC, Appliance, etc.. I'm sure they were glad to see me leave! Feel like I got a quality product at a fair price, but time will tell.

Congrats on your purchase and I'm glad to hear the walk through went so well. The 2108DS is on our short list.

Just FYI, the Facebook group "Winnebago Minnie Travel Trailer Owners" is very active and I found the people there helpful in answering my questions.

Enjoy!

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
Got the Minnie Plus 27bhss, walk through was great only had a couple of minor cosmetic issues they took care of. Had them remove every access panel, checked every outlet, USB port, AC, Appliance, etc.. I'm sure they were glad to see me leave! Feel like I got a quality product at a fair price, but time will tell.

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
Had not seen Lance before, look very nice. Will look at them too, not that I want to spend more but at this point I'm pretty disgusted with the entire experience. Just curious, how did you like the Winnie?

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If they're within your budget, look at Lance. They're state of the art manufactured with Azdel & Lite Ply and 4 Seasons available, etc. Beware that they're spendy, but they're a giant leap up from the standard fare available from FR or Thor/Jayco or Winnie (I know, I owned one) Lance also has a 2 year warranty and a nice users group called Lance Owners of America (LOA)
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
CampinFL wrote:
unfortunately the walk-through didn't go well on the Apex either. Had some issues with the plumbing under the shower leaking, issue with the toilet being loose. Not trusting that other issues below the deck could be there too.. So stopped at that point and just passed on it, rather not take the chance.

Looking at a Winnebago Minnie Plus now.

Good luck. May be the best move to stay away from Forest River IMO......and that's coming from a Forest River owner.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
unfortunately the walk-through didn't go well on the Apex either. Had some issues with the plumbing under the shower leaking, issue with the toilet being loose. Not trusting that other issues below the deck could be there too.. So stopped at that point and just passed on it, rather not take the chance.

Looking at a Winnebago Minnie Plus now.

CampinFL
Explorer
Explorer
>> A valve in a closed system shouldn't let water out. Even if it was the winterization hose valve. It would suck instead of run out.

That is what I thought too, tech said that with the valve open (guess not anti-siphon??) that water would free-flow out the winterization hose. Anyway, appreciate the feedback. Going with the Apex and hopefully this walkthrough goes well.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CampinFL wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
CampinFL wrote:
Long tory short we liked the Coachman 248RBS layout when we saw it on line. We looked and worked a good deal and actually put a deposit on one and were all set to get it. Went to the dealer to take delivery and found a "big-to me" issue and told the dealer not accepting.

As a Freedom Express owner myself I'm curious - what was this "big-to you" issue? :@

Agree. I'm looking at a Freedom Express. Would like to know as well.

We were doing the inspection/walk through. They (factory) left a valve open behind a cover plate under the sink and the trailer got a lot of water leaking into the floor, dealer was great about it.. Not their fault, simple mistake that made this one a no-go for me..

A valve in a closed system shouldn't let water out. Even if it was the winterization hose valve. It would suck instead of run out.

Sounds more like a hose popped off. Or the sink drain elbow came lose. Seen that a lot. don't matter. you didn't take it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers