cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help deciding on new tow vehicle

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are considering looking for a new tow vehicle to haul our Keystone Bullet 308bhs (6100lbs dry)

We have been towing it with my 2007 F150 with 5.4 V8 and towing package, but are interested in possibly a SUV since we have a new baby that will accompanying us, and the 3rd row seats sound nice.

Short of older 2000's suburbans and excursions, are there any other newer model SUVs that can safely tow it? I fear we may be stuck looking for a 3/4 or larger truck, but would rather have the extra seating if possible.

Its confusing reading everyones thoughts on different motors being junk...yada yada, so any concrete advice is appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚
23 REPLIES 23

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
What about the newer Expedition/Navigators? I not to current on Armada specs but I recall it used to have a 10K tow limit. I don't know the GVWR limits for payload and tongue weight on either so can't say with certainty you would be in limits.

I have towed with Suburban 2500's and Excursions but now am more a fan of 3/4 or bigger trucks now but I did briefly use a 03 Navigator for my trailer in sig and it performed good to me.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
dnmccoy wrote:
The only reason I thought about a suv is the 3rd row seating. Well have a car seat and 2 70 lb dogs, not not sure everyone will fit in the rear of a crew cab. I never thought about a cap for the truck.

Most of the newer suvs seem to top out around 8000lbs which seems to be cutting it close

RAM MegaCab would have more than enough room for the crew you mention.

If I went this route, I would go for a 3500. The 2500 mega cab has really low weight numbers.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dnmccoy wrote:
The only reason I thought about a suv is the 3rd row seating. Well have a car seat and 2 70 lb dogs, not not sure everyone will fit in the rear of a crew cab. I never thought about a cap for the truck.

Most of the newer suvs seem to top out around 8000lbs which seems to be cutting it close

RAM MegaCab would have more than enough room for the crew you mention.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
dnmccoy wrote:

The 8000 lb towing figure doesn't mean much. When you take your tongue weight and add you, your wife, your kids/carseats/stuff (so much stuff...), and 140 lbs of dog in the SUV, you'll probably be way over one or more of your axle, tire or payload ratings.

As far as your dogs go, they're going to be safer in good quality kennels that are well secured in the back of the truck than they would be running around loose in the cab, so you don't need to feel guilty about having them back there. Even without a topper they'd be fine if you use a good kennel cover but it sounds like a topper might suit you well. I sure like having my Softopper on those occasions when I want a topper on the truck.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
2500 gas motored crew cab would be my choice. Get a short bed, add a color matched canopy and you have a truck that looks just like a Suburban.

This but I would go diesel. I only state that because where I am from the diesel truck is a much better buy long term. More places then not appears to say the gas is a better buy long term and if I did not need the torque, which you don't and the gas was a better option I would go gas.

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll have a hard time making any of the current full size SUVs work. That's not a super heavy trailer but it isn't exactly light, and it's very long. If it were me I'd be looking to pull it with a heavy duty truck, especially with the family on board.

We have three kids and the truck in my sig fits us great. A megacab would be even roomier if that interests you, although you obviously even with that you won't get a third row of seating. We have a fifth wheel so an open bed is a requirement when we're towing, but I have a Softopper for trips without the trailer and it does a great job of instantly giving us a huge protected cargo space for our stuff and the dog kennel. Since you have a travel trailer you could get a standard fiberglass topper that would give you a little more security.

I'm of the belief that pickups are a much better value than full size SUVs unless you really need that extra row of seating, with the big bonus being that you aren't restricted to a light duty vehicle.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
2500 gas motored crew cab would be my choice. Get a short bed, add a color matched canopy and you have a truck that looks just like a Suburban.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd go with a 4 door 3/4 ton truck. Because, a few years down the road, you will be looking at a different trailer. Everyone does it.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS