cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help deciding on new tow vehicle

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are considering looking for a new tow vehicle to haul our Keystone Bullet 308bhs (6100lbs dry)

We have been towing it with my 2007 F150 with 5.4 V8 and towing package, but are interested in possibly a SUV since we have a new baby that will accompanying us, and the 3rd row seats sound nice.

Short of older 2000's suburbans and excursions, are there any other newer model SUVs that can safely tow it? I fear we may be stuck looking for a 3/4 or larger truck, but would rather have the extra seating if possible.

Its confusing reading everyones thoughts on different motors being junk...yada yada, so any concrete advice is appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dnmccoy wrote:
It's amazing how high the prices are on used trucks. Not even sure where to start! It's amazing that a truck with 90,000 miles on it still has an asking price of 28,000!

Ha, mustn't be a diesel or it'd be over 30!
Agree vehicle prices in general are nuts and the big fuel guzzlers are leading the way right now. Cheap fuel and low inventories on used gas guzzlers due to the recession and high fuel prices when a lot less of em were made and sold for a few years is what's supporting the ******** prices, IMO. Well that and $30k seems like a bargain to some when new loaded up HD pickups are stickered from $50-70k.

You can cut cost significantly if you can get by with a 2wd and or ext cab though.
2wd are disproportionally lower than their difference in original sticker price.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how high the prices are on used trucks. Not even sure where to start! It's amazing that a truck with 90,000 miles on it still has an asking price of 28,000!

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
dnmccoy wrote:
I'm thinking were going to go the way of the truck. I don't know that we'll have dogs once these are gone so I don't want to plan long term based on that.

Very wise choice IMO. Keep us updated!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I am also one who recommends a 3/4 ton four door pickup. As a dealer told me when I asked about towing with a SUV, "Forget it, we have enough trouble keeping them right side up when empty".

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking were going to go the way of the truck. I don't know that we'll have dogs once these are gone so I don't want to plan long term based on that.

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2010 Suburban 1500 that tows a 27' trailer, weighing in at about 6500# loaded to camp (5000# dry per the sticker). The Suburban does the job ok. We haul 6 people (four small kids), and are probably about at our sticker limits as far as payload and everything goes. Our Sub has the max towing items on it.

Since the trailer you have is about 1100 lbs heavier, you will probably be pushing the limits on a 1/2 ton SUV a little too far, I would suspect.

The Suburban is a fantastic family vehicle, but probably best suited to a smaller trailer, unless you can find a 3/4 ton (we looked for one, but did not find one optioned the way we wanted).

I would think a kid and 2 dogs would work great in a crew cab pickup, though. If you haven't been in one lately, you should check it out. The back seats are really big and comfortable -- my co-workers comment on the roominess of the rear seat in my F150 every time they get in it. When I drop my kids of at school, there is enough room that they literally stand up and walk out (instead of scooting across the seat to the door). Should you want the dogs in the cab with you, in a Ford supercrew or Ram megacab (and I suspect the others, although I haven't been in a newer GM crew cab lately), there would be plenty of floor space for 2 dogs, particularly with the little one in a car seat.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dnmccoy wrote:
Until we were able to adopt our son, or dogs were our kids and they go everywhere with us ๐Ÿ™‚

1/2 ton f150 has been OK locally, we haven't ventured too far with it yet. I think the stronger suspension might be better in the long run

I was just giving you a hard time. Our dogs get pretty spoiled too.....
No doubt the heavier duty the vehicle, the better it handles towing. Good luck with your search.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
My recommendation would be the same.
Nice well appointed 3/4 gasser with a nice color matched camper top.
It's a safe comfortable and totally capable vehicle that would have plenty of room and cargo capacity for your needs. With my family on board there's no way I'd compromise on the safety and capability part. Not to mention that these types of vehicles these days are really nice rides that have no problem pulling double duty as a daily driver and moderate work horse with great dependability.

Good luck!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the van idea. I did it for 22 years with no regrets. I only sold mine because I am down to one kid at home now and I wanted 4 wheel drive. The Chevy's and the now discontinued heavier duty E-siries vans are built on truck chassis and pull like a truck. The also burn fuel like the older trucks. The new Transit is built more for hauling people and cargo and fuel economy at the expense of towing but can be configured to pull 7500lbs which should be enough for your trailer and is getting great reviews. It is selling great too, that should tell us something.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
And following APT suggestion, I really miss my 2500 Yukon XL, but do not miss the fuel cost when empty.

I know it is not cool, but it is functional and a great value, you could go with a full-size 2500 or 3500 van. They are not available in 4wd, but I have not had an issue with mine. You just have to remember where the rear wheels are, and that their is no switch to get help.

With four daughters and two dogs, my Express has made up for missing my Yukon XL. The crew cab truck with a cap was never fun, and when the daughters were taking the dogs to the 4-H shows or competitions, they did not want them riding in the hot/cold bed of the truck. The van solves the heat/AC issue.

Also, if you get the 12 passenger, you can always take family and friends and have more fun.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Payload and receiver limits are the problem with all the 2007+ half ton SUVs. 6k dry, 7-7500 loaded means 900-1000 pounds of loaded TW. GM has the highest receiver limits at 1000 pounds, and the rest in the 900-950 pound range. Payload can be as little as 1200 pounds and over 1500 pounds, so you have the 140 pounds of dogs, cages, baby/seat/diaper bag, and parents plus that 900+ pounds of TW.

While rare, I highly recommend a 2008-2013 3/4 ton Suburban or Yukon XL. We love ours.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dnmccoy
Explorer
Explorer
Until we were able to adopt our son, or dogs were our kids and they go everywhere with us ๐Ÿ™‚

1/2 ton f150 has been OK locally, we haven't ventured too far with it yet. I think the stronger suspension might be better in the long run

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why the eff would you put 140lbs of slobbering shedding flea bags inside a nice new vehicle??
Get a truck and put the mutts in back......
I had to have our dogs in the backseat for a 24hr drive about 20 years ago. 3 large dogs fit fine, smelled like dog and full of hair in that truck bad in 1 day.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
By the time everyone is done with you here, you'll need a 4x4 diesel Dooley 5500 minimum.
You've already answered your own question. You towed it with a half ton already?
Did it scare you? If so, get a bigger truck or suv.
If not, pick your favorite full size SUV and have fun.