cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help requested for first time rv trailer buyer

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
Planned on buying new livin lite from a dealer in June, but found one used only "once" about three hours away. Have not viewed yet. Looks to be a 90% match to what we want, not perfect but we could live with it. Budget $16,000 to $20,000.

How much can we expect a dealer to discount off the msrp? I think it was $26800.

If this is used just once, a 2013 model, how much off msrp should we expect.

Owner says credit union has loan and title, any advice on purchasing this if we want to do This? How to not be ripped off?

My new Ridgeline is not broken in yet ,so I will use my dads F150 it bring this home or contract with a transport company to bring this to me.

It weighs 2600 #, so the f150 probably cannot tow this on a bumper hitch, right?

It also does not have a brake box. If it could tow this, would this be horribly unsafe without a brake box to get this home? The cable hookup on my ridgeline only controls lights, right? It is the aftermarket brake box that activates the rv brakes, right?

Owner says the tanks have not even had water in them, can I verify this with a visual inspection?

On a $20,000 item, how much savings would you want to "risk" a used rv?

Any other advice for a first time buyer would be appreciated.

Target rig is my new Honda ridgeline towing a 14db or 16db living lite.

Many thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

Brett_K
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cairn terrier wrote:
Planned on buying new livin lite from a dealer in June, but found one used only "once" about three hours away. Have not viewed yet. Looks to be a 90% match to what we want, not perfect but we could live with it. Budget $16,000 to $20,000.

How much can we expect a dealer to discount off the msrp? I think it was $26800.

Owner says credit union has loan and title, any advice on purchasing this if we want to do This? How to not be ripped off? New buyers typically can expect about 20-30% discount.

My new Ridgeline is not broken in yet ,so I will use my dads F150 it bring this home or contract with a transport company to bring this to me. Broken in? 500 miles is considered broken in now days.

It weighs 2600 #, so the f150 probably cannot tow this on a bumper hitch, right? My guess your talking dry weight? No one tow dry, so look at the trailers GVWR. My guess you will be very near or over the Ridgelines towing capacity.

It also does not have a brake box. If it could tow this, would this be horribly unsafe without a brake box to get this home? The cable hookup on my ridgeline only controls lights, right? It is the aftermarket brake box that activates the rv brakes, right? Brake controllers are mandatory on any trailer over 2000 pounds in most states. There is no way I would consider towing that much weight without one connected and working.

Owner says the tanks have not even had water in them, can I verify this with a visual inspection?NO!

Many thanks.

What is the Ridgelines towing rating per Honda? Remember that the towing rating is based on a stripped vehicle with a 1/4 tank of gas and one 150# driver. Everything above that reduces your real world towing rating.
Since no one tows Dry, forget that number. Sadly it seems most brochures show only this number, and adds a cargo carry capacity number. So you really need to dig to find the trailers GVWR number. While you may never reach this number, if you use this as a guide line in matching your truck and trailer you will sure not be disappointed.
Bottom line I think you would be far happier looking at a tent trailer for the Ridgeline.

The Ridgeline can handle a trailer like that no problem. I think max hitch weight is 500lbs. However, I think that Honda recommends not using a WD hitch for some reason. When I had one, I was looking for something less than 3000 lbs and with a hitch weight around 400lbs.

Brett_K
Explorer
Explorer
How many miles on your Ridgeline? As a former Ridgeline owner, I say if it has more than 5k miles, get the brake controller installed, hook it up and bring it home without worrying. You aren't voiding the warranty. Just take it easy. Your ridgeline will be fine.

For me, I was using 90% of low nada retail as a good indicator of private party value. Let's face it, not many people are in the market for such an expensive small trailer. Most people getting something that size are looking for something a lot less than the msrp on that rig. You may have a hard time negotiating on that one because the owner paid the high price without anything down and has hardly payed off any of the premium in one year. If so, he will soon find out he will have to pay in to get rid of it. If you opt to go new, there is usually a 20-30% mark up on new rvs. If you can find a wholesaler of that brand, get some quotes for a reference.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Some bumpers are good to 5,000 lbs. Many states do not require brakes under 3,000 lbs. if your state and truck meet this then it should work. Many pop ups are towed on bumpers. Once loaded the trailer will go over 3,000 so be sure it is empty. As for towing once you are caming then the full hitch and brakes will be needed. Your truck will need more than a 4 prong wire fore the brake controller to work. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cairn terrier wrote:

Owner says credit union has loan and title, any advice on purchasing this if we want to do This? How to not be ripped off? New buyers typically can expect about 20-30% discount.

My new Ridgeline is not broken in yet ,so I will use my dads F150 it bring this home or contract with a transport company to bring this to me. Broken in? 500 miles is considered broken in now days.

It weighs 2600 #, so the f150 probably cannot tow this on a bumper hitch, right? My guess your talking dry weight? No one tow dry, so look at the trailers GVWR. My guess you will be very near or over the Ridgelines towing capacity.

It also does not have a brake box. If it could tow this, would this be horribly unsafe without a brake box to get this home? The cable hookup on my ridgeline only controls lights, right? It is the aftermarket brake box that activates the rv brakes, right? Brake controllers are mandatory on any trailer over 2000 pounds in most states. There is no way I would consider towing that much weight without one connected and working.

Owner says the tanks have not even had water in them, can I verify this with a visual inspection?NO!

Many thanks.

What is the Ridgelines towing rating per Honda? Remember that the towing rating is based on a stripped vehicle with a 1/4 tank of gas and one 150# driver. Everything above that reduces your real world towing rating.
Since no one tows Dry, forget that number. Sadly it seems most brochures show only this number, and adds a cargo carry capacity number. So you really need to dig to find the trailers GVWR number. While you may never reach this number, if you use this as a guide line in matching your truck and trailer you will sure not be disappointed.
Bottom line I think you would be far happier looking at a tent trailer for the Ridgeline.

Montana_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Ok nobody else is brave enough. Nothing you listed sounds safe. Sorry. Bumper hitch is not even good enough to get you unstuck! And if your on the same road as my kids are driving I would not be happy. Use the right hitch and TV please. And get a brake controller please.
Time to get camping! 2013 28'Shadow Cruiser
One wife, 4 boys, 2 dogs and a cat.
Montana Mike