Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Leaky Window under Cab Over

LUVTOTRKCP
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have any suggestions. We have an Arctic Fox 990 on a GMC
crew cab 3500 DRW truck. When we drive in heavy rain our window under the cabover leaks. Arctic Fox tells me its a vortex that is caused by some truck cabs. I have tryed to plug the weep holes, but that made it worse. I have a 5' piece of that vinyl perforated gutter guard that I'm going to try to mount over the window to see if I can disturb the vortex. I would like to keep the window operative, because I leave it open when the camper is sitting between trips.
ANY IDEAS???

luvtotc
3 REPLIES 3

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
sleepy wrote:
bwanted wrote:
Im on my third lance. All of the passthru leaked.

As silversand posted in another thread... Hurricane 1 winds are 76 mph...

If your TC's combined forward speed and the head winds that are pushing through combine for more than 76 mph the aera between your cabover hitting the bulkhead are creating hurricane force conditions,,, then, throw in some rain... you can see where this is going,

Your pass through window like all of the other windows that open will have weep holes. The hurricane forces winds containing rain will force their way through to the lower pressure area that exists inside your camper...

That'll be the source and cause... (along with a little water through the channel between the slide window and the frame)

My solution... I sealed the drain holes.

And I have had a foam rubber boot around the window since new.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

bwanted
Explorer
Explorer
My third lance All pass thru windows leaked. Had to caulk a peice of lexan over it. No water now

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with my 990. I noticed that a lot of Lances had a gutter that diverts water to run off on either side of the bed.

I bought a piece of vinyl siding J channel, trimmed to to fit and look nice and used the thick 3M double sided adhesive to mount it just above the window. I then used Dicor self-leveling sealer to seal it across the top edge.

I think a lot more water can come in between the slider and fixed pane than through the weep holes. You'll need to open the weep holes at the bottom of the window so water that gets in the channel can run out.

We had a 4K mile trip back in May and June with bad weather every other day with no leaks. I'm not certain whether the "J" channel diverts the water to either side or if it just breaks up the wind that's forced between the cab-over and truck, but it worked great.

We had no wet step the whole 20 something days.

Good luck with it.
Joe and Evelyn