cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with new build

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
I know that there are a couple of threads on similar topics but I need additional help.

We built a truck to our needs on paper at the dealer and received a MSRP on that vehicle along with their invoice price, which was a couple thousand dollars cheaper.
They said they would order the truck at no cost to us for inspection, we haven't done that yet.
When asked how much the truck price would be, they stated that the incentives would apply at the time of payment, I don't know if this is a ploy for them or if that is true.

Since this will be our first time buying new we are not sure if the negotiation on price should happen before delivery or not.
Not sure what to do next, could use some good advise!
13 REPLIES 13

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Update... They said they ordered the truck on Friday. The dealer has not asked for a deposit. Guess we'll find out more in the future.

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, we'll see what happens on Thursday.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I know Ford dealers will give you what ever "deals" are available at the time the vehicle is ordered, but they do require a (likely non-refundable) down payment.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
AK49er wrote:
OP here...so let me get this straight, the invoice price is NOT the real invoice price? We are not trying to get this truck at "real" cost, just a fair price like most other folks.
Should our offer be at or below their advertised invoice price plus the buyers incentives at the time of delivery/sale?
Thank-you.

On Domestic vehicles (Ford , Dodge, GM), the dealer will get 3% of the invoice price back from the manufacturer after the vehicle is sold. Kind of a legal kick-back.
So even at invoice when there are no other incentives, the dealer makes 3%. 3% of a $50K vehicle = $1500.
On Foreighn makes that figure is 1%.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Negotiate the price before ordering, with all the current incentives. Any new incentives that are offered between order date and delivery are supposed to be honored as well. Just make sure to keep your eyes and ears open for these incentives as the dealers likely won't offer them up.

I ordered my new truck in March with delivery expected some time next month. At the time I got free diesel option, employee pricing minus 2 percent, several thousand in cash back, and match down payment to $750, and zero percent financing for 48mo. They now offer the finance rate up to 84mo which I may take. In the end I got nearly $23k of the sticker build price.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Bedlam
You are correct. Invoice price is not what the dealer pays. They get other incentives for selling particular models and options or meeting a particular volume or quantity of units sold.

You should not have have pay more than invoice price (which includes delivery fee) plus tax and license. If there are any rebates or special financing options, these are additional discounts to the above. Two of my vehicles were purchased at invoice price minus rebates and one was purchased for $500 under invoice minus rebates. Taxes and licensing obviously are not negotiable, but the amount you you negotiate will be taxed (sometimes before rebates). These were custom orders and not off their lot. I would expect even greater discounts on stock that has been sitting or been test driven by others.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AK49er
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...so let me get this straight, the invoice price is NOT the real invoice price? We are not trying to get this truck at "real" cost, just a fair price like most other folks.
Should our offer be at or below their advertised invoice price plus the buyers incentives at the time of delivery/sale?
Thank-you.

Bedlam
The last three vehicles I ordered have been at or bellow "invoice" plus I had any rebates applied at delivery. I suggest you work with the commercial/fleet people in dealership because it sounds like a consumer sales associate is trying to pad his commission while wasting your time.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dont let the term "invoice" fool you. That is NOT what he dealer ultimately pays for the truck after the transaction.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being in AK shipping I would guess is outrageous. Have you considered buying in the lower 48, fly in and drive home? Depending on the brand you looking at you could possible save thousands over what the local dealer is quoting.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are expecting delivery of an F-150 about the second week of June. Dealer told us when we ordered it that we would get whatever incentives that Ford had at the time of delivery.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
When we ordered our truck we negotiated a price we were happy with. Eight weeks later when the truck arrived, there was a new incentive program running which was not running when we ordered. We were given the extra $1000.
Nice surprise.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Don't even think about MSRP. Dealer should quote you a firm price of no more than $200-300 over invoice, hopefully less than that. And then any incentives and/or rebates off that at time of delivery.

Dealer has a right to a decent profit after paying salesman and helping cover his very large overhead. But he is already getting a substantial amount on dealer holdback from the manufacturer.

About dealer holdback