cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hey Guys.......Almost Back

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We are presently RV-less, but are actively tent camping....lol, and it's getting time for full retirement, and getting our life setup for good. We are still avid offroad folks along with M/C touring so we need to tow weight. That gets us to; a toy hauler, class B with a trailer, or a TC. The toy hauler would work but the Scout is almost to heavy for one, and one's that can handle it are HUGE and HEAVY, so they got eliminated. We looked long and hard at the class B's and they would fit the bill no problems. The E450 platform is a tow beast but it's JUST an RV and another drivetrain that needs to be maintained, and insured. Since I will need a truck when we move I've decided to just get a 4x4 Dually and go with a TC again. There are just to many plus' to them.

So we will be gearing up for another TC (what a surprise) and we're going BIG. We either want a newer 2 slide Lance 1172, AF 1150 wet bath, or a Host Mammoth. We've eliminated all others based on our needs and how there setup. I think the Host will be eliminated due to the non usability of it with the slides in, but I haven't seen one in person yet. We had an AF 1140, so we know that the AF's can be used slide in...kinda. It looks like the Lance's rear has to be opened to enter, which isn't a deal breaker, but I haven't seen one of them in person either.

We don't have a truck yet but we are starting the process.........
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
7 REPLIES 7

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We have been toying with the idea of an E450 cutaway for the hauler. They are easy to find and relatively cheap, even with a diesel. There are kits available to convert it to 4x4 with JY parts. I have also seen cab-n-chassis 4x4 F550's reasonably priced too. The Scout and M/C will be towed at separate times with there respective trailers.....:B
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
What are you going in to do with slides closed?

When we had the S&S and Red, our last rig.

We were used to just pulling over and sleeping whenever and wherever we wanted and my wife concerned with being able to do that without deploying the slides. I think its a non issue, cause we used to have to put 1 slide out in the class A to sleep.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I see conflict in your logic.
You want 4x4 for off-roading, but big camper that can't do that?
I am very happy that I ordered my new truck with 2WD.
With 6500lb of camper my mileage reaches 13 mpg on freeway, 18 mpg on 45mph highways and the lower floor makes the life easier.
Bare in mind that with 11+ feet TC your towing will be pretty limited.

What ever I get to haul the TC will have to be 4x4, due to where we are going to live. For any real off road I have my Scout.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
With 6500lb of camper my mileage reaches 13 mpg on freeway, 18 mpg on 45mph highways and the lower floor makes the life easier.

I am reading that they want to tow along his 4x4 Scout. I think the camper would be more of a base camp, the Scout used for the 4x4 action. OP also states they are looking for a new truck. Maybe they are considering a class 4 or 5 truck if they are trailering the scout? In the case of flat towing his scout that doesn't add bumper weight. Modern diesels have plenty of power to carry a TC and flat tow a Scout.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Just sold our AF1150 and now have a Mammoth. No comparing them IMO. The slides on the mammoth are quick and smooth. They can be deployed individually or all the same time in less than 15 seconds. Or partially for quick access in 5 seconds. What are you going in to do with slides closed? I haven't been in the Lance with the wall slide closed but it sure looks like given the floor plan on their website you would need to at least partially open it along with the rear to get to get to the fridge or head. Just like the Mammoth. Definitely look at all the campers in person. The Lance published base weight is pretty close to the Mammoth (actually I think it's a couple pounds more)

If you look through the Lance specs you will see smaller holding tanks, smaller fridge (also not in kitchen). These were a few reasons we eliminated the Lance early on. The rear seating was nice. That is the one PRO we had on our list. Good luck.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
Before you decide to eliminate the Host Mammoth from your consideration for a new TC, check one out first. We have owned both the Lance 1172 and the Host Mammoth. Both are fine TCs. Both require a slide or slides to be opened to enter the camper. Host uses Power Gear motorhome-type slide mechanisms which are much quicker (and better) than the Schwintek slide mechanisms on the Lance 1172. You can open all three Host slides simultaneously; I estimate that it takes about 20 seconds to open 'em up. We really liked our Lance 1172, but it didn't have nearly enough storage for us-and-the slides were really slow to open and close. The Host Mammoth has a whole lot more storage inside and in the basement, and has larger fresh/gray/waste tanks.