cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit a bump and lost my transmission

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Tundra 155k . Tows a 7k TT. I hit a bump on highway, felt a jerk and then it went into limp mode. Towed it home and all i could smell was burnt oil.
Aamco rebuilt it and promptly a tree fell on it . So now geico has totalled the truck and offering 17k. ...anyway crazy i cannot find anything close to this price for the 10 days i use the truck in a year.I did put brand new tires and brakes before it.

The buy back is 4800 and i am thinking of keeping it as the damage is all cosmetic. nothing mechanical.
I think its a good decision but i have no experience with a rebuilt transmission . Not a factory rebuilt . those were like 8k, so just aamco rebuilt with a new valve body on it. 18k/ 1.5 year warranty just started.

looking for some input rebuilt transmission .Also someone to tell me letting go is a better idea.
i have a jeep wrangler , 2 motorcycles for my personal use [been working from home for 4yr to one or two work trips a year]. My wife has a ford explorer and jetta [work mileage car] . so the truck is used maybe 10-15 days for towing.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition
30 REPLIES 30

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I can share that I had the tranny in my '97 F150 rebuilt just to deal with a much stronger rebuilt engine. It worked out great. I was very happy with it.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE