cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Questions from newbee

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of questions related to my weight distribution hitch system. I'm new to pulling a larger trailer.
1. I have a 2015 GMC Yukon XL with the HD Trailer package. Among other things, it has a air bags that automatically inflates/deflates when weight is applied/removed from hitch. Since it automatically does this, how is the weight distribution hitch properly adjusted. I'm afraid the person that installed it when I purchased the trailer didn't adjust it properly since the trailer would automatically level out the height of the back.

2. Related to that, I took my Yukon on the scales w/o the trailer and with the trailer. The results aren't exactly what I expected. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I'll use approximate numbers. Without the trailer, the weight was 2800 Front and 2900 Rear. With Trailer it was 2400 Front, 4400 Rear and 6000 on Trailer axles. Am I wrong in figuring that if properly adjusted the weight distribution hitch should certainly not decrease the front axle weight that much and the two weights should be distributed a little closer?

3. They gave me 1 sway control. With a 29 foot trailer, should there be one on each side of the hitch? I heard somewhere there should be two if < 24ft.
Brad
11 REPLIES 11

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle, WD % is near 50/50%. It would not take much weight in the rear to get OP's numbers.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A couple more notes:

Front axle lost 420 pounds, rear axle gained 1460 pounds

Rear axle weight of 4400 pounds may be exceeding rear axle rating.

Tongue weight is at least 1040 pounds and more if there is any tension the WD bars. Check your receiver limit, but your owners manual says your TW limit is 1000 pounds using a WDH. You may wish to distribute some weight that is in front of the TT axles to behind.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A couple more notes:

Front axle lost 420 pounds, rear axle gained 1460 pounds

Rear axle weight of 4400 pounds may be exceeding rear axle rating.

Tongue weight is at least 1040 pounds and more if there is any tension the WD bars. Check your receiver limit, but your owners manual says your TW limit is 1000 pounds using a WDH. You may wish to distribute some weight that is in front of the TT axles to behind.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
bradg wrote:
Turtle n Peeps,
The weight from the scale for the Yukon w/o Trailer is 2820 Fr Axle & 2940 Rear Axle with a gross weight of 5760.
With Trailer, it was 2400 Fr Axle, 4400 Rear Axle & 6080 Trailer Axle (both trailer axles on one scale section) for a total of 13080.

Something is screwy? Unless you had a ton of weight in the back of that SUV when weighed it something is wrong IMHO. I'll see if I can do some checking at get back to you.

Ok, I did some checking and those numbers are screwy.

According to this site, your Yuk should be 52/48 weight bias to the front. Or 51/49 if you have an XL.

Unless the numbers change significantly from 2010 to 2013 and those numbers you posted are actual scale numbers and not door numbers something is very strange? I just don't know what to tell you?

BTW, that is super good weight bias for a factory vehicle. Almost a 50/50 car is a great thing to have.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. (Or any help at all, lol)
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps,
The weight from the scale for the Yukon w/o Trailer is 2820 Fr Axle & 2940 Rear Axle with a gross weight of 5760.
With Trailer, it was 2400 Fr Axle, 4400 Rear Axle & 6080 Trailer Axle (both trailer axles on one scale section) for a total of 13080.
Brad

bradg
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps,
Brad

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
You need to get us the correct weights.

There is no truck or SUV built that has more weight in the rear than in the front. I have to fight and fight and fight just to get a 50/50 weight bias in stock body race cars with no engine set-back rule.

Get us the correct weights and then people can help you.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

APT
Explorer
Explorer
It appears based on your given estimates that your WDH is doing little to nothing. Check your owners manual for weight distributing hitches. Your goal is probably to restore the front axle weight to unhitched weight. So your front axle lost weight and the rear gained even more than trailer TW because adding tongue weight is like a level to your vehicle's suspension.

Take a look at this thread on how to adjust your WDH. Yes your air suspension complicated WDH. Your vehicle owners manual should also contain details with how to adjust the WDH with the air suspension. If you use a scale, then the order is not important. If you use tape measure to estimate front axle weight, then adjust with air suspension off.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The WD adjustment needs to be done with the leveling suspension deactivated. Not sure how yours works. It could be as simple as doing it while the ignition is off, or you may have switch or a fuse that can be pulled. Once it is set up, the leveling system can be left on to do its thing.
You are correct that you need two sway controls.
I will go against what many will tell you here and recommend that you stay with the friction controls for now.
Although the other designs do have some advantages, the friction controls will be cheaper for you at this point, and are much easier for a newbie to understand and get some benefit from. Many if not most of us, including myself started out with them. I would not hesitate to use them again, if I ever needed to.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
If your hitch was set up at the dealer the trailer was most likely empty. Once you are loaded to camp, the hitch needs to be adjusted. Read the hitch manual and the TV manual and follow both as best you can. For my vehicle you measure the front normal and with the trailer, no WD and then use the WD to get it back halfway to the height it started at. With that low weight up front you will float on the highway.

Double check the actual number and adjust your hitch.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch is not set up right.