Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Receiver Adapter for Bikes

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

Have any of you used a hitch adapter for a bike rack? This adapter would mount to your rear bumper of your camper.

I realize the rear bumper of rv's isnt very strong so would this work? My rv is a 28dsbh
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
33 REPLIES 33

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jacko147 wrote:
I found these on another bumper discussion, I think im going to go this route to add a bike rack.

4 Square mount n lock safety struts

These supports will help make up for the poor welding but still depends on attachment at the very end of the frame. Instead of using these supports, I would go to a weld shop and have framing added that reaches forward as far as practical.

jacko147
Explorer
Explorer
I found these on another bumper discussion, I think im going to go this route to add a bike rack.

4 Square mount n lock safety struts
2010 Sierra 4x4 1500, 5.3L 3.73
2012 Jayflight 26BH

Mttlh4
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I modified a 5' cargo rack so it attaches to the top of the frame between the bumper and the camper body. None of the weight is carried by the bumper, though I did install the mount-n-locks just as a precaution. I carry a bike, sewer tote, spare tire and mat on it. Underneath, behind the bumper, I attached a 5" vinyl fence post for the stinky slinky. If I want, I can unload it and fold it up against the back wall.
The whole shebang cost about $125 and changed my tongue weight by only 25 pounds.

Got any pictures? I was thinking of doing something similar to load my firewood onto.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I modified a 5' cargo rack so it attaches to the top of the frame between the bumper and the camper body. None of the weight is carried by the bumper, though I did install the mount-n-locks just as a precaution. I carry a bike, sewer tote, spare tire and mat on it. Underneath, behind the bumper, I attached a 5" vinyl fence post for the stinky slinky. If I want, I can unload it and fold it up against the back wall.
The whole shebang cost about $125 and changed my tongue weight by only 25 pounds.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mttlh4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious, how come nobody offers the frame mounted, folding rack found on a lot of newer rv?

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
eipo wrote:
I installed a front hitch on my Ram to put the bike rack on.

I'm using a front hitch as well.

Me too. Only downside I've noticed is glare off wheels when driving at night. But I never really drive at night except one time when necessary repair cost us time and I wanted to make some up.

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
Ever used the set up where you attach the rack behind your LP tanks?
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
hussbuss wrote:
Response to Redrocket204. I see your point if the bumper is lighter weight and the hitch is centered. It could twist the bumper enough to crack the tube. In my case I have the thicker walled 4 1/4 tube. My generator mounts right next to one of the safety struts and the spare tire mounts about 8 inches from the other, so no twisting at all. Had my brother follow me and no movement at all. also have rubber eq-flex and shocks on TT. But I do agree with you on twisting if to much bounce is experienced.

Yup, exactly. There is a guy on here who goes by the screen name Fisherguy, I think it was Fisherguy, where he has some pictures of where his bumper just peeled away where the mount was positioned.

And agreed that not all RV bumpers are the same but my mtb bikes do not go on racks on the back of my TT period... they are a bit pricey so they go out of sight anyway. Just not worth taking a chance of getting them stolen or wrecked.
I love me some land yachting

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
Response to Redrocket204. I see your point if the bumper is lighter weight and the hitch is centered. It could twist the bumper enough to crack the tube. In my case I have the thicker walled 4 1/4 tube. My generator mounts right next to one of the safety struts and the spare tire mounts about 8 inches from the other, so no twisting at all. Had my brother follow me and no movement at all. also have rubber eq-flex and shocks on TT. But I do agree with you on twisting if to much bounce is experienced.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
eluwak wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
eipo wrote:

Same here, but I need to get a different bike rack because ours carries the bikes too high blocking some sight lines. What racks are you guys using?

I'm using a 4-bike Yakima rack. It's a little high, but no problems seeing.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would carry them in a solid place where bounce is at minimum.

Carry them on the trailer tongue where you can see them. If they bounce off the rear of the trailer, you'll never know it but the person driving behind you will. It's your liability, YOU altered the trailer.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Control/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-275.html

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Curt offers an adjustable width frame mounted solution. I chose to mount bikes to my roof rails, though.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
eipo wrote:

Same here, but I need to get a different bike rack because ours carries the bikes too high blocking some sight lines. What racks are you guys using?
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
You don't want this to happen;

or this;

The top pic shows a bumper with two pipes attached to the top of the broken bumper like maybe there was a whole lot more stress on it than a simple spare tire. The bottom pic doesn't indicate much at all except two bicycles being worked on.
We've used a bolt on receiver to carry our two lightweight aluminum framed Marin MB's and now our Trek MB's for years with no trouble. I like the bike racks that the tires sit in rather than hang from the bike frames as there in no movement. The spare tire rides in the bed of the truck. With our new 28RLS Jayco on order, we opted for the factory accessory receiver for the bike rack.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'