Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch Receiver Adapter for Bikes

bgradert
Explorer
Explorer
All-

Have any of you used a hitch adapter for a bike rack? This adapter would mount to your rear bumper of your camper.

I realize the rear bumper of rv's isnt very strong so would this work? My rv is a 28dsbh
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2015 Jayco 28DSBH
Mooresville, Indiana
33 REPLIES 33

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
hussbuss wrote:
Above post from IAMICHABOD. This is the way to go. I have a set on my 37' TT with a Champion Generator on one side and the spare tire on the other side. The bumper isn't going anywhere. Excellent product, Great company to work with. Real peace of mind thru 2 round trips from Wi. to Fl.

Agree that those brackets are nice but keep in mind there have been cases where the metal on the RV "bumper" just peeled away because that metal is not a very thick gauge. Meaning where the add-on bike rack or generator platform was attached to the bumper, the metal failed and actually peeled back to where those brackets would not have prevented the failure.
I love me some land yachting

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
Above post from IAMICHABOD. This is the way to go. I have a set on my 37' TT with a Champion Generator on one side and the spare tire on the other side. The bumper isn't going anywhere. Excellent product, Great company to work with. Real peace of mind thru 2 round trips from Wi. to Fl.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would something like THIS work?
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
eipo wrote:
I installed a front hitch on my Ram to put the bike rack on.

I'm using a front hitch as well.

eipo
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a front hitch on my Ram to put the bike rack on.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
NC,

Looking at the options on Jayco's website for the '15 Whitehawk, the factory hitch was not an option like on our Jay Flights.

That Curt may be the way to go, or a custom build.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with something like this if I ever went that route, or as Need-a-Vacation said you might benefit from the factory Jayco hitch.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
You don't want this to happen;

or this;

Ouch! I had a bumper fail due to a bike rack but it didn't get this far before I caught it.

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. Spare tire is risky.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Its not a bumper , its a sewer hose holder

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I would never trust the factory bumper.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I used a bolt on receiver on the bumper on my 2002 Cougar FW; bumper was substantial. No, couldn't do the same on 2014 Wildcat because FR decal said warranty would be voided; flimsy bumper. No such warning on 2016 Montana and dealer said it was okay, and the bumper is more subtantial.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You don't want this to happen;

or this;
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a bolt on bike rack on an Aliner, this morning. It was being pulled by a Jeep Grand Cherokee at 70+ MPH. No WDH was used and the Aliner was swaying and wiggling down the freeway. A rear rack shouldn't effect a heavier trailer as much but that poor Aliner was probably going to be in a shop for suspension work awful quick.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I had a guy weld a "receiver" onto the rear bumper of my TT years ago. I used a bike rack in it for a couple of years until I sold it. I had no problems. However, my TT was an '84 model. It probably had actual metal in the bumper.