cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch setup recomendation

ashnic
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at moving to a slightly larger TT. Weight being newer is about the same..but it is about 7' longer. I get a little bit of sway now so I assume it might be a bit more with the longer trailer. I am currently using what came with our current trailer when we purchased it..it's a reese setup with weight dist. bars and a antisway friction device. Several years ago we had a Equalizer setup that seem to do a good job helping control sway but again that's been several years ago. Is there newer setups that are better now or is the Equalizer setup still pretty good? I will be pulling about 8k with our 2012 2500HD in case you are curious..Thanks in advance!
2012 2500HD GMC Sierra
2011 Outback 295RE
8 REPLIES 8

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, when you say sway, do you mean a back and forth oscillation? Or do you mean the wind and passing vehicles pushes you around a little? The first is what I would call sway, the 2nd is more normal and will be reduced by a more HD vehicle or a better sway control device. If you have a back and forth oscillation that gets worse with speed and seems unrelated to other influences such as wind or passing vehicles, you need to get that fixed first, which is usually caused by too light of tongue weight. It can be dangerous and you need to fix it.

Clarify what you mean by sway, and you can be better helped by the others here.

The Equalizer is still around and a good hitch, I have not used one. As was already mentioned, your Reese system could possibly be converted to the Reese Dual Cam system, which is also very good. That is what I use. The one thing I don't like about the Reese system is the way the cam arms mount to the trailer frame. It is a poor design and many have issues with it. I had to reinforce mine, I also had to start using Vaseline on the cams with my new heavier trailer. It works great now. Even when I was having an issue with the mounts, the trailer tracked really well behind my Suburban.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, establish the fore-aft weight balance first then lets talk about WDHs and sway. The trailer has to be properly balanced before the anti-sway measures are implemented.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
If you have sway, you have something wrong. Fancy hitches can mask this effect, but a truck and trailer combo should not sway. The people that built your pickup do not even require a WD hitch for that model. Get the trailer balance right, everything under its maximum ratings, and good general condition before worrying about what hitch will control sway best. Then, buy whatever hitch appeals to you.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are adjusted correctly, you shouldn't get sway. I pull a 36' with a Ram 2500. I don't get sway under ideal conditions, like no wind and no passing trucks, but I do use 2 friction bars. These eliminate probably 95% of action from passing vehicles and crosswinds.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
You may be able to upgrade that Reese system to a dual cam for less than a whole new EQ 4-pt. Both systems have many happy owners.

Here is the dual cam system:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP26002.html
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You may be able to upgrade that Reese system to a dual cam for less than a whole new EQ 4-pt. Both systems have many happy owners.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
for sway control, typically the rule of thumb is friction bars for under 26'. Over 26' you want integrated sway control. Reese dual cam, Reese strait line, or equal-i-zer should do just fine for you. I would get 1200 lb bars. If you want to go high end there is the propride or the Hensley arrow.

As mentioned above the sway you have is probably related to loading. Ideal tongue weight is 13-15% of loaded tt weight. Do yourself a favor and hit the scales before you go looking into a new hitch. Go to Cat scales to find a local one. Have truck front axle on scale pad 1, rear axle on scale pad 2, and both tt axles on scale pad 3. Get 3 weights, one of just truck no tt. One of tv + tt no wdh and one of tv+tt with wdh. Ideally, you will find your loaded tongue weight to be within that 13-15% margin, otherwise you need to move cargo around to achieve that goal. Your other goal is to dial the hitch in to have your tv front axle as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. Try this and see if you need a new hitch first.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling 8200lb with a 2008 2500 HD; NO sway bar, no sway.

If your tongue weight is about 1000 lb (13% of 8000)there shouldn't be any sway to control.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser