cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horn replacement

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 2011F350 and the horn is barely adequate. Anyone ever replace theirs with something louder?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
I want a horn that can blast it 'inside' their vehicles and not bother the
others around them

Like when I tried to 'borrow' the static gun from our certification laboratories
to use on a few co-workers in the parking lots were on their cell's blocking the
parking lot isles...really, really, really wanted to zap them...even though
some of them knew me...

They said it is too dangerous, as I might hit someone with a pacer, or some such...

It looked like a Star Wars rifle with the charging whine and the VERY
loud ZAP.

Certification group tested static discharge for compliance certification. Mainly
UL, CSA, TUV, etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing like a loud horn to get the attention of someone drifting into your lane. Cell phone users around here do that a lot.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sport45 wrote:
jepalmer wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Well maybe in Kansas you don't have the bone heads that think they can drink their latte and talk on a hand held cell phone while attempting to drive!!:E

In my part of Florida it's cafe con leche:D:)

The point behind my thought to increase the horn db is just those drivers. May not meet one when towing, but if I need to get their attention through their ear buds, I'd like to be able to do that.

And the horn that came installed under your hood won't get their attention? The lightest tap on mine usually works to 'wake up' the driver in front of me when necessary.

I really don't see the need to have a horn that startles everyone at the intersection for something like that. But that's just me...

Well not mine most quiet horn I ever owned including my 56 VW!!!

I forgot to mention headphones, and loud stereos, you may never need to use you horn, but i have had it all!
Drivers changing into my side, pulling out without looking you name it. No I don't lay on it 99% of the time a light tap is all it takes.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
jepalmer wrote:
rhagfo wrote:

Well maybe in Kansas you don't have the bone heads that think they can drink their latte and talk on a hand held cell phone while attempting to drive!!:E

The point behind my thought to increase the horn db is just those drivers. May not meet one when towing, but if I need to get their attention through their ear buds, I'd like to be able to do that.

And the horn that came installed under your hood won't get their attention? The lightest tap on mine usually works to 'wake up' the driver in front of me when necessary.

I really don't see the need to have a horn that startles everyone at the intersection for something like that. But that's just me...
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
6.7 tow rig wrote:
What am I missing? I have never used a horn in any vehicle other than to honk at family as we are leaving the driveway.

They either talk and text through their turn at a green light, or so wrapped up in their conversation that they don't see you and start to pull out in front of you. :S

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Replacing the horn is pretty straight forward and inexpensive. You're local auto parts store should have some to choose from. Another choice would be to go to a junk yard, buy one, and mount it alongside the existing horn.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
What am I missing? I have never used a horn in any vehicle other than to honk at family as we are leaving the driveway.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jepalmer wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Kline dual trumpet air horn here! Dang Ram horn sounded so wimpy had the on-board air for the Pacbrake so it was a natural.

Kline Air Horn

Thanks, but I don't have onboard air.
And space under the hood is limited!

I didn't have room under the hood either, so they are under the passenger side floor board.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like my WOLO Big Bad Max, no air tank and fits under the hood in place of my stock horn.
Hear it at the end of the Video.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a set of these on each side. They are effective!

2011 Jayco 32BHDS

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Kline dual trumpet air horn here! Dang Ram horn sounded so wimpy had the on-board air for the Pacbrake so it was a natural.

Kline Air Horn

Thanks, but I don't have onboard air.
And space under the hood is limited!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The horn in our F250 is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to use it and would like to upgrade too.

Once in a while I wish I had one of these train sound horns from Hornblasters. That'd fix the stupid drivers out there! Hearing protection required!! Can't get DW to let me spend the $800+ though. Somebody honked near me once with one of those things and it's the only time I've honestly nearly jumped clear out of my skin.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Griots Garage sells a 130db horn set - forget it, it sucks.