cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you secure your scissors steps?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
When we drive over bumpy roads, the folded steps unfold somewhat. So far they haven't dragged on the ground but . . .

Have you come up with a good way to secure the folded steps so they don't sag?

If you remove the steps and put them inside the camper, how do you secure them so they don't slide around and cause damage?
31 REPLIES 31

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I do this too...

tuna fisher wrote:
I just lift them off and set them inside the door.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Bedlam
Mine sit on a soft thick rubber mat inside the TC when traveling. They don't move around enough to notice and have not needed to be tied down.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I got really really tired of taking the steps off the bracket and putting them inside my TC where they would bang around and damage stuff. And it was a pain in the *** to climb in to get them out so I could used them.....

I permanently mounted my steps (as suggested by Outfitter Mfg.) just below the door sill by drilling holes in the top part and bolting it on. And have always just used the spring steel strap and bolt to hold them closed. They have never come off or unfolded during travel including on rough roads since 2004.

Here's a pic of the strap and bolt.

Gosh, what am I doing wrong?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, pictures do tell that story well. ^^^^^^
Thanks

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I also lift off and put inside the camper. 'cuse the mess...

However I carry to the front and set on floor against water tank box under refer.

As our slide covers this space when in,

Virtually captured, so really can not go anywhere, otherwise I'd tie down.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
finaddict wrote:
happycamper1942 wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:

Me too
Me three
Ditto!!!:)
ejfrantz wrote:
I fold them up and place mine inside the door also.
This thread started with the question: "How do you secure your scissors steps?" If you detach your steps and put them inside the camper, that question could be asked once again. Or to put it another way: What keeps your steps from flying around and damaging the interior of your camper?

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
I fold them up and place mine inside the door also.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
For on road travel I just leave them on the hanger and use a bungee to keep them from extending. If I am going to be doing some 4wheeling then I will remove and place just inside the camper.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27929418/gotomsg/28511578.cfm#28511578

Bungied up underneath.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
finaddict wrote:
happycamper1942 wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:

Me too
Me three

Ditto!!!:)
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper1942 wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:

Me too
Me three

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:

Me too
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my response to my own OP question: Because I am better equipped for woodworking than for metalworking, my step-support assembly is made of wood rather than metal. The assembly is five pieces of 1 x 4 fastened together with 2-inch drywall screws. The first photo shows the assembly before installation, sitting on top of the scissors-step framework. Notice the shelf that is fastened on top of the two horizontal 1 x 4 cross pieces. When the step-support assembly is in place and the steps are stowed, part of the shelf projects toward you, beyond the front 1 x 4 crosspiece. This projection slides between two of the steps and supports the step above it. By supporting this step, the step-support assembly supports the entire scissor-step assembly. And the steps no longer bounce against and damage the camper as we drive down the road.

The other photos show various perspectives after installation.

The picture below shows the step-support assembly in place. It hangs from the two bolts that secure the original step assembly to the camper. When the steps are stowed, they secure the step-support assembly against the camper.

What I like about this arrangement is that nothing needs to be fastened, unfastened, or picked up and carried when the steps are deployed or stowed.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
basslbbig wrote:
I take them off and put them in the camper.

Me too. But it's annoying to have to do that and I'm worried that they'll bang something up. I usually put things on either side and carpet under them, but I'd prefer not to have to.