cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long did it take to find the perfect camper?

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for an Arctic Fox 990 for a few months and have only looked at one so far. It was pretty rough so passed on it. I found one without a gen and air so passed on that. Another was a 2010 but the guy thought it was worth $30,000. Not. I would love to buy new but the sticker shock is just too much for us.

How long did you take to find your gem? I have placed a "Wanted" ad in the local on line RV sections in my area of Vancouver Island. I would be willing to travel to find the right one.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742
48 REPLIES 48

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
Jean S wrote:
homefor2, you may find an arctic Fox 990 to buy, but you will never find a perfect camper for the same reason that you will never find a perfect boat.

My brother always says, "Every boat is a compromise," to which his DW replies, "And every husband is a compromise." :B
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't found mine yet, but I "think" it's a Lance like Buzzcut has. DRY BATH!! The truck?.... well, I really like my old Chevy dually... For me, after full timing for 9 years acroos the US, the amount of time I camp now isn't worth the mega dollars for an F450 or F550 or Kodiak, etc. As long as the truck is up to the challenge, which could be any of a number of current new factory trucks, I'm happy! I'd also like to just have a little pop up with a raised short bed 4 x 4 for those special off road adventures. My needs are little I suppose.. but they make me happy! ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Shiv_Too
Explorer
Explorer
We rode the motorcycle home from N. Carolina in a cold rain (650 miles). I casually mentioned to DW that a TC would let us ride the long flat distances in the truck - tow the M/C - and live with our own shower/potty/bed while we toured the pretty places. Just a thought. She said "When are we lookin' at 'em?" Looked at a Lance 1050S in Ft. Worth, looked at Adventurer 86B on the web, and bought it at Princess Craft in Round Rock Tx. Didn't fit my truck! She (dealer) offered me a Lance 950S w/gen and every option for an exceptional price as consolation for the trouble. (Great folks.) Wouldn't look back, but WHEN do we get free to go?

Shiv Too

serpa4
Explorer
Explorer
4 TC later, still looking.
Think it might be a slightly modified Host Cascade with double slide.
1) Want dual slides
2) want couch
3) Want floor above bed rails
4) Want large holding tanks
5) Want to be underwight with my 3500 Dually.
6) Dry bath (thank my current TC for that requirement)

Don't want
1) too big/long
Love the camping life. 06 Host Rainier SS, 07 Classic GMC Sierra 3500 DRW.

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
I am the OP and I found and bought a camper yesterday about a 1 hr drive from my home. It's a 2007 Arctic Fox 990 exactly what I was looking for. A retired guy owned it and kept it in a garage. It's had very little use and has plastic mats covering the carpet. Oven and microwave have never been used. He had a second older camper that was his hunting camper. When I saw the condition it was in it took about 5 min. to make up my mind. Now the fun begins. I pick it up in about 10 days.

Very nice find... looks like you have plenty of truck for that rig. You will not be disappointed with that rig. 2007 was a good year for AF!
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

Testudo
Explorer
Explorer
It took me about 30 years...

I would say that I first started to notice truck campers in the 1970's. I liked the idea of the vehicle being available for dual use (camper and utility vehicle when the camper was 'parked' the other 330 days of the year). I figured truck campers might be a good way to travel once they had indoor shower facilities.

Fast forward, ...we figured the time had finally come but when I noticed how much time RV owners seemed to waste servicing their plumbing, I decided using the campground facilities was good enough for me. We had been doing it that way for 40 some odd years, after all, while tenting. After looking around, my wife started to hone-in on the FOUR-WHEEL products. After asking for some advice on the RV.net, 'Steve-in-29-Palms'; 'Silversand', and 'Balbir' got me pointed toward the OUTFITTER products. At the time, that was the only company who would guarantee that their roofs and lift system would handle the weight of an air conditioner - - something I really wanted.

OUTFITTER customized a short-Caribou to my specifications. I did a little tweaking on it after we had some practical experience with it. The rest is history.

I figure it must be "perfect" because I have a hard time conceiving of ever letting go of it - - even if we bought an eight footer with indoor plumbing. I guess you too will eventually find out if you found the "perfect camper".
Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
homefor2 wrote:
I am the OP and I found and bought a camper yesterday about a 1 hr drive from my home. It's a 2007 Arctic Fox 990 exactly what I was looking for. A retired guy owned it and kept it in a garage. It's had very little use and has plastic mats covering the carpet. Oven and microwave have never been used. He had a second older camper that was his hunting camper. When I saw the condition it was in it took about 5 min. to make up my mind. Now the fun begins. I pick it up in about 10 days.

Excellent!! two words of advice:

ROAD TRIP

LOL
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

bens170
Explorer
Explorer
The mrs and I have been looking for a TC for 4 years, we finally found one. A used 2003 Lance 1161. We got the truck first, purchased an truck bed tent & never used the tent. Hopefully, we pick it up next month. To all veteran's past, present, and future, THANK YOU.
USAF Cold War Veteran

Ripit
Explorer
Explorer
Took me about a year to figure out what it wanted. I found this one on Craigslist but it was more camper than I wanted but the more I look the more I wanted it. I drove 12 hours to check it out and brought it home. Its a 2007 Outfitter Apex 8 and it works great for me. Lovin' it so far. Good luck.
2017 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab
2007 Outfitter Apex 8 Loaded
2014 Eastcape Lostman
2004 King Cat 296

Wallace_9967
Explorer
Explorer
The first TC was purchased in 2001 used (815) we made it to Ankorage , Ak . Then my wife found our second (845) (more room) . Then in 2005 my wife found our last and perfect TC (881) So I guess that is our response!

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Do not know if I am there yet but after 35+, hopefully I'm getting closer to the perfect camper if one exists!
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
After about 25 years and 4 old campers and 1 new Motor home we decided to get something that would last us the rest of our lives.
We decided we did not want a camper that was going to be prone to leaking and after seeing the new Northern lite and the Bigfoot's we said that's it!
After looking for about a year we bought our 9'6" 2500 Bigfoot in 2000 and we love it more now than we did when new. So in 13 years it has traveled almost 200,000 miles and rode on 2 ford trucks..

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
usmcshepherd wrote:

Lastly...make an honest assessment on how long you will keep it! We bought a rig that we plan to keep for a long time as we think ours is perfect for our requirements. Best of luck and keep asking questions...Truck Campers are some of the most friendly folks you'll meet...you might also consider attending a TC rally and seeing different rigs and talking to folks!

Excellent advice! I've had many folks come up at campgrounds asking questions and like many, I'm happy to answer them and give them a tour (with the DW's permission, of course)! Talking with people that actually use the product vs. sales guys is always the best way to go, no matter what you're spending your hard earned cash on.

BTW, Thanks for your service to our country, retired, not former, right? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase