cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long did it take to find the perfect camper?

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking for an Arctic Fox 990 for a few months and have only looked at one so far. It was pretty rough so passed on it. I found one without a gen and air so passed on that. Another was a 2010 but the guy thought it was worth $30,000. Not. I would love to buy new but the sticker shock is just too much for us.

How long did you take to find your gem? I have placed a "Wanted" ad in the local on line RV sections in my area of Vancouver Island. I would be willing to travel to find the right one.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742
48 REPLIES 48

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
3 or 4 months, start to finish.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Took us 3 years to arrive at our first โ€œperfectโ€ truck camper choice. It was a Lance 480. We planned on buying one in the Fall of 1995; then Lance quit making that model before we could get our order in. It was kinda replaced with the Lance 500 (which we bought), but we preferred the 480.

For the last 17 years we have been looking for โ€œperfectโ€ camper number 2 and have yet to find it, but a few years ago, we thought the AF990 WB was very close.

We were buying new in 1995; if you are looking on the used market, you will likely never find โ€œexactlyโ€ what you are looking for. You may find one that is very close or can be made to work (like adding A/C or using a mobile generator unit).

Good Luck,
Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
It took us 2 years to find what we wanted.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
bedrocker wrote:
My first camper was my brothers and he was selling it and
the wife wanted it (I'll never tent camp again) that one was
an 87 Lance squire for a long bed mine was a short bed but
with the tail gate down it worked fine, everything So we talked
about a newer one as the squire was getting old so I looked on
Craigslist and found a 2005 Lance 820 it was unused the guy
got and then had some medical problems it sat for 3 yrs or so
it a garage but he wanted more than I could afford so I moved
on we feel in love with that model so I kept looking and 2 weeks
later I found a 2003 820 fully loaded and cheaper and in very good
shape so we bought it moral of story if it's meant to be it will
come your way so just get what you want and don't lose hope ๐Ÿ™‚

Whoa.... that was one big A$$ sentence!! hee hee
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
My first camper was my brothers and he was selling it and
the wife wanted it (I'll never tent camp again) that one was
an 87 Lance squire for a long bed mine was a short bed but
with the tail gate down it worked fine, everything So we talked
about a newer one as the squire was getting old so I looked on
Craigslist and found a 2005 Lance 820 it was unused the guy
got and then had some medical problems it sat for 3 yrs or so
it a garage but he wanted more than I could afford so I moved
on we feel in love with that model so I kept looking and 2 weeks
later I found a 2003 820 fully loaded and cheaper and in very good
shape so we bought it moral of story if it's meant to be it will
come your way so just get what you want and don't lose hope ๐Ÿ™‚

rkortes
Explorer
Explorer
After, coincidentally, selling our AF990 in the Spring of this year, my wife and I set out to find..... are you ready?.... A 2008 Rage'n FA3005 Toy Hauler. Is that specific enough? We settled on a 2007 FA3405 but sold it in 2 months. It was just too big.

We now have that 2008 FA3005 and I couldn't be happier. We new exactly what we wanted, kept our eye on the prize (after a slight deviation) and found our "dream" rig.

IMHO, your quest for a 2006 or later AF990 will yield a very happy camper. We just out grew ours. 2006 was the year of the "Silver Fox" with aluminum construction.
Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax/Ali
Toy Hauler - 2008 Ragen FA3005
The Journey Is The Destination!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
This is the problem with limiting yourself to one specific brand and model of a thing... Especially something as much of a niche product as a truck camper.

Finding the exact brand and model you want, in the exact condition you want, at the exact price you want to pay, within reasonable driving distance, immediately, is just about impossible.

You simply cannot have those expectations and be inflexible/uncompromising when it comes to something like a TC.

It's going to take you a very long time, you're going to have to pay more than you want, you're going to have to settle for a lesser unit, you're going to have to drive way further than is practical... Pick one of those.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

scottz
Explorer
Explorer
It took us about 3 years of intermit ant research and visiting of numerous RV dealers. At times we were convinced we wanted a popup, then a travel trailer, then a toy hauler, then a 5th wheel. We had always ruled out truck campers because of price.

We eventually came to the conclusion truck campers provided the best all round solution for us and it's versatility helped us justify the price. Once we were set truck campers it took one visit to all of the truck camper dealers in the area before we settled on the Lance 1030.

We really feel we found the perfect camper for us. I visited a few dealers this past summer and still prefer the layout, options, and price (paid for) of our Lance 1030 ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
For fun my young bride and I would spend our Saturday afternoon's browsing the local RV dealers in Yuma, AZ when I was a young Marine Sgt...that was 1995...we bought our first Lance in 2009 and out second Lance (current one) this year when I returned from Afghanistan. So it took us about 15 years which was due in part to the numerous trips the government saw for to send me on...and partially due to the wonderful paycheck they pay me every month:)!

First off you'll never find the perfect camper...you need to ask you what are the most important things to you and then make a conscious decision on what you will give up to have something else. Because we still have small children we felt it was important to start with a new camper for sanitation purposes (DW felt better about kids crawling in dust she knew vice didn't know). There are many brands out there and you should really invest a trip to a well stocked dealer that carries multiple brands so you can compare. The other major issue you have to face is the truck you plan to carry camper on...long or short bed? Dually or SRW? Diesel or gas? These factors will also drive you towards and away from certain campers.

Lastly...make an honest assessment on how long you will keep it! We bought a rig that we plan to keep for a long time as we think ours is perfect for our requirements. Best of luck and keep asking questions...Truck Campers are some of the most friendly folks you'll meet...you might also consider attending a TC rally and seeing different rigs and talking to folks!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Some random thoughts on the time it takes to find and purchase a TC:
Most of us, whether lucky to find one or not, do not really know a lot about the nuts and bolts of a truck camper, no matter how much research and discovery we try. I glean from the posts above that some have tried cheap, entry level campers to 'test the waters' and find out what works and what doesn't....for us. How do you get all this input about making an informed decision based on all the components and how they work together? The best way, of course, is to come to this very site and ask those that have used these various TC's for a period of time. What is their take? If you are reading this, you already know this. Another great way to make a good decision is to spend some time in a used version of the very same model you have in mind to buy. In essence, you must 'worry thru' the process, trying to absorb the feel of all the features, good and bad. We bought a new mattress recently and spent in total a couple hours laying on prospects for up to 15 minutes @atime to see what is what. We made a self-informed choice.
However, there is another aspect to all this. If you spend too much time making a decision, your actual personal circumstances may have changed. What if you have another child in the meantime? What if you are now an empty nester? What if you are older and you start getting weak in the knees? What if you decide you really want an XTC and do a little boon docking to get away from the madding crowds? All this has to do with adjusting your outlook to reflect your current needs...which may change over years of looking.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Took me about a year. Like you, too many sellers wanted near-full price for one. I decided I'd rather pay $230 a month on a brand new camper WITH a warranty, than $15K to $20K cash to someone who is hiding problems from me and no warranty.

I found a dealer in Tucson, AZ; over 900 miles away from me, who sold me my 2012 Lance 855S for an out-the-door price of $23,000.

I am SOOOOO glad I didn't buy used. My camper is and shall remain brand new because I'm taking care of it. Paying $230 a month will do that for a guy.

In the meantime, that $20K I would have paid for a used camper is earning over 10% in the stock market. The growth is almost making the payments.
Good Luck!!

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I've had three campers in 11 years.... still looking for the perfect one...
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I researched TCs for about 6 months before ordering our AF. It was hit and miss for me since I had RVs before but never owned a TC, and wasnt too familiar with them. As it turned out we love our unit and if I had to buy tomorrow it would be another AF. The only thing I would do different is go out to Oregon, make a trip out of it and save the sales tax and the shipping. Plus getting a better purchase price from a west coast dealer as compared to here in the east would be another plus.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed a lot of us take about 2 years. I did.

I started looking and liked the 990 from the beginning. No dealers within 500 miles. Bought a clean but cheap Palomino TC to try which allowed us to experience what we like and don't like about a TC. Used it 3 times and sold it.

Visited American RV to see a new 990, where the wife pronounced it acceptable. Yes, I am allowed to have an opinion and I do as I'm told.

Found one on Craig's list only 250 miles away. There are very few in the southeast area. Asked questions and watched it for about a month due to the price. The seller dropped the price to what it thought was reasonable so we headed off to look and bought it.

4 months and 2 short trips(1200 miles)later and no regrets yet.
Joe and Evelyn

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
It took us 2 years. I like to think that we did our due diligence. I read everything I could on this forum. I asked so many questions, I thought that I would be kicked off for overuse. :B

By the time we made our decision, I felt like my head would explode from information overload.

In the end, we are very happy with our choice. I picked the floor plan and it happened to pop up at a dealer a few hours away. I wasn't willing to settle for less.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7