cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do you buy new trailer?

Herd_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
We were having a conversation and this question was discussed. Just wondering....how often, on average, do you guys trade in/buy new trailers and why?
2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21 DS
2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L CTD, 4x4, quad cab
69 REPLIES 69

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
We were having a conversation and this question was discussed. Just wondering....how often, on average, do you guys trade in/buy new trailers and why?

The original post above...

IMO all here that answering a senseless post... Whats the point as all the answers are all over the place as it would be...... As it will be of course based on most likely income and preference...

And no I am not offended by this post as was stated by the OP...

Its just so stupid, again my opinion... And was just wondering why such a question would be asked....

So I will post ,because I was wondering, " How many cups of coffee does one drink when camping??" Geez I wonder how many will respond to that? 2, 5 , 7 . 20. all day long....etc...LOL

Just trying to make this a better site is all and make members aware of their reply's to frivolous nonsense...

FYI all my opinion...
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see... Growing up we started with an old Coleman PUP that was too small, so a couple of years later in 1993 we bought a '94 Coleman Sequoia PUP that we traveled all over the country with many times. Then in '96 we bought an Aerolite 25RB that became our Christmas home for Key West. In '99 or so we got a 28ft Holiday Rambler, which was sold in 2004.

It goes on, but it seems like 3-4 years for my family. Our current unit is 2 years old now, but we're trying to hold out for at least 5 when we'll be sure how many kids we'll have.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Every year there us incremental improvements in the TTs. And every year of ownership puts some more wear and tear on my present TT. After a period of time, the incremental improvements of the new units adds up, to something worth buying.. And every year of ownership brings some more maintainence issues on the present TT... After some time, those issues add up, so...

I like to get a new one about every 10 years. At that point, there is still some value to get out of the old one in a private party sale.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
How many years isn't the issue. I buy a new trailer when our needs change.
When we were young a tent and sleeping bag was preferred. Thought a trailer wasn't really camping and were for older folks. Then we got older.

Got a small tent trailer. No shower or toilet but met our needs.
Then we got older.
Got a larger tent trailer with shower and toilet.
Then we got older.
Got a hybrid. Benefits of hard side but still had canvas for that camp feel.
Then we got older.
Got a fifth wheel. For now it's perfect for us.
When we get older we'll probably get something better suited for full timing.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
1st one we had for 21 years 2nd one 14 years 3rd on so far we had it for one year, still have it, no plans yet to sell or trade

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I owned the PuP that preceded this trailer for 8 years. I've owned this trailer for 6 years, and it's still going strong.

I personally don't believe in replacing things until there's a really compelling reason.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Too many to admit to since 1997...
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

suzyqtx60
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our current trailer for 5 years, before that it was a cab over camper and tent camping. We're ready for an upgrade to a 5th wheel,( bigger and an actual bedroom for us). Hopefully this year, but probably not until next year. We've got our eye on a Shasta Phoenix 32re.
Jerry & Carol
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Turbodiesel inline 6
Primus IQ Brake Controller
Equalizer 4-point Sway Control, 10,000 lb. capacity
2006 R-Vision Max-lite RS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
In the 55 years of RVing I have never bought a new RV. I would rather someone else take the big hit on depreciation. I have bought and sold many over the years. I would rather buy when the RV is a year or so old and all the problems taken care of plus I pay cash for everything that I buy
samsontdog:o:W

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
We've been married 7 years and bought our first TT 6 weeks after we got married. We sold our house and intended to live in our RV until we found a new home to purchase. Turned out - we loved living in the RV! Only, not that RV. It was a PERFECT RV for weekending, but a little small for living. So we bought a 5th wheel which we lived in for the next 2 years. Then commuting made it impractical for us to keep living in our RV, so we sold the 5th wheel. We were RV-less for about a year and a half. Last January (2013) we bought our current travel trailer, which is fairly similar to our original trailer. ๐Ÿ™‚
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 TTs in over 23 years of RVing, roughly every eight years. As we speak our current rig is 7 years old and we have been doing a bit of research lately for a possible purchase in next year or so. we have never traded in any of our units as we sold them to family or friends. We will keep our current rig for our kids to use when we purchase our next TT.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
1991 - first PU, very basic to sleep off ground
1996 - second PU, with small shower to bath kids
1999 - third PU, larger unit with bath/shower and more options
2006 - first TT, 24' entry level unit with no slide and few options
2013 - second TT, 28' with slide and many options

So, we've had 5 different RVs in the past 23 years, so the average is almost 5 years each. And we plan on keeping this current TT for at least 5 years.

Interestingly, every time I've traded in, the dealer has commented on how clean and well maintained the unit was. This has helped me to negotiate a higher trade in value. There were times that we considered purchasing a used RV, but the units we had interest in were either in bad shape or had bad smells (grease, mold, smoke, etc) in them. This was a total turn off for the wife, so we always bought new.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our '07 ROO HTT in July '06. Kept it until May, 2013 when we moved to Rocky. Had no plans to ever change from our HTT but didn't count on the age thing creeping up - us not the ROO - and needed something with a bit less work. It'll be Rocky until the day we decide we're done with camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

KS56
Explorer
Explorer
We have been buying a new travel trailer every 6 years. Works for us! Just bought our third one this past Spring, an Apex 215RBK.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started RVing in 2008 with a pop up. Converted a cargo trailer in 2010. Bought this one in 2012. Have no interest in anything else.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch