cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How safe are you when boondocking

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have never boondocked before, nor have we ever spent the night in a Walmart parking lot. We have always stayed in campgrounds or RV parks where we know we will be safe. We our considering taking a cross country trip next year and was wondering just how safe it is to boondock in case we stumble onto a remote area that we would like to spend some time at. Do you folks out there carry a handgun with you when you boondock for protection and security reasons if and when you feel threatened? I would like some feedback on this before we head out.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver
130 REPLIES 130

bjohns
Explorer
Explorer
We carry, both in the truck and in the TC, and we have concealed carry permits. Some folks I know carry bear spray, which is extremely effective and you don't have to hit anyone directly. Our daughter gave an intruder one blast of bear spray and that was the end of the intrusion. She had watery eyes and the effects hung there for awhile, but the intruder fled probably to the ER. A blast of bear spray within the confines of a TC would be pretty hard on you as well as an intruder, but the intrusion would end right then and there. But in an extreme situation, a blast right by the door aimed outside would probably not be so bad. At least nobody, good guy or bad guy, gets killed.
That said, we have done plenty of boondocking and ever had an incident of any kind.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
30,000 gun deaths. Over 2/3 self inflicted. If you carry you are part of the problem. -end-
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
There is no place on earth that can assure you won't be hit by a criminal or a criminal-in-the-making drug-driven person.

Not in a city, not in a town, not along a trail in the middle of nowhere.

Just read the papers or watch the many shows that feature criminal acts. "Paranoid" individuals who take steps to protect themselves (not referring to those who are mentally ill) are actually quite correct in their attitude.

Whether one wants to prepare for the worse is an individual choice.

Any government which takes self-defence options away from the average lawful citizen is a government causing terrible injustce.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
In 1975 I drove my mother and Dad back from Alaska to Arkansas in a Dodge D50 with a camper shell. We camped along the way in many remote places. My Dad had a 30 caliber M1, 30-06, and a pistol. I slept in the truck bed and he and my mother slept in a tent. Dad said if I hear him shooting the pistol, open up with the '06 or M1.

We never had to fire a shot, but were ready.

Just like so many comments in these posts, be ready. Use your brain first and most likely what comes next will be all OK.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
............. I met one inmate that claimed he was in prison for defending himself while camping. He proudly stated he always "packed" especially when camping. He said he shot and killed someone he thought was threatening him. He supposedly shot the guy outside of his TC. I think he was in for life. Are you interested in joining him?

Join which one? The guy above ground or below? ๐Ÿ˜‰

There have been plenty of times I was glad I had one, a few times I wished I had one, but I can't think of a single time I was sorry I had one.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

TraciK
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I have a shotgun which I taught my wife to use. If you try coming in my motorHOME I will shoot you. If you stay outside and steal I will call the police.

DITTO!!!

We always travel with a handgun. Even if we aren't camping. Dh has taught me how to shoot it also. He has his conceal carry license. I hope we never have to use it.

FreeLanceing
Explorer
Explorer
I have held a CCW permit for over 30 years. Maybe because I grew up on the SS of Chicago. I've been held up at knife point. I carry often not every day but often. Every time I run my dog. Every time I camp. Every time I go out of town. Every time I enter an unoccupied structure. I don't carry where the law does not allow. I could be standing in line next to you at WW and packin you would never know it. There are thousands if not millions just like me. Check the CCW forums. We are our first line of defense. I practise often have a range in my yard. I can shoot way better than most law enforcment I know or have shot with. Some are better than I. I don't think its paranoid I think the word is prepared. They teach in self defence class not to use deadly force unless backed into a corner with no other options. At least I have the option and the skill to deliver. Mr Z never shopuld have gone to trial. It was liberal public pressure that cost him 3 mill. As the trial showed he was within the law. Made some bad decisions but. The liberals should pay his legal bills now. Its the free country, many died to keep it that way. I choose to exersise my right #2 that is.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
Wasp/hornet spray is very effective and has decent range.

capterik
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with sleepy on this one.
2003 Kodiak 5500
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB
KVH inmotion Satellite
Stable Lift

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to be told: to avoid places like this...

High population density places have more crime

Very low population density places will have very little crime

I choose the second

My camper is not armour plated.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Back to the basic question of boondocking:

Picking the spot. Reasonable level is a plus

Someone pointed out that 95% of RV people are OK... it is the 5% that I avoid... after all they cause 100% of the trouble

From this point we look for things that anyone with good sense would avoid. Our rule is....

No grafitti

No Check Cashing places

No tatto parlors

No people with gang "colors" displayed

No obviously homeless people

No groups "just hanging out"

We avoid college campus

and blighted neighborhoods

We avoid camp grounds...

The inverse porportion law works for boondocking too!

The risk diminishes with the square of the distance from the potential problems:

You are 1/4 as likely to have a problem if you put a some distance between you and the above places.... if you double the distance from them your risk drops to 1/16... double it again and your risk drops to 1/64th and so on.

hoodlums prey in their own neighborhoods... thats why you are told "Stay out of north Las Vegas" or "Stay out of SW Phoenix"

... every place you go has places that you should avoid... if it doesn't feel right don't stay.

The single worst place to be is in a campground where you don't feel comfortable:

"You have already paid your money... you will refuse to leave... even if staying kills you!"

If you haven't paid you'll drive away!

If you insist on choosing bad spots... or are just stupid or unlucky:

Stoegar makes a very nice double barrel shotgun called a "Coach Gun" it is the shortest legal shotgun made... 410 gauge, 20 gauge, 12 gauge. Easy to store, easy to swing, easy to shoot... 3 inch diameter pattern at 12 feet, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc.
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

path1
Explorer
Explorer
How safe are you when boondocking
Don't really know because I don't have anything to compare what is safe and what is unsafe. That is because nothing has never happened. If we don't like the looks of some place for what ever reason, we move on. Yes, I have weapons with me simply because my house is of greater risk of getting ripped off when we're gone, so I bring them with me. IMO your at greater risk with the drivers your on the road with than boondocking. Of course we don't boondock at the end of dark alley in some ghetto crime ridden place either.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Location location locstion. Go to less desireable places, they attract less people because there is no major fun attraction that would make people want to go there. Bad guys and gals like to go to nice places too. I find you need to be a couple hours from big cities before you get mostly serious campers. The closer to town you are, the more makeshift campers there are and they are the ones that have loud radios and party in my experience. I stayed at a Walmart one time in Spokane and it was fine along with about twenty other travelers. Spent over 200.00 there loading up to cook for a Montana State graduation weekend camp trip.
If in the rare event you have trouble, make the alarm button on your keyfob your first move. Get that truck alarm blaring and make some noise. Nothing makes trouble scatter like good loud noise. If that clears the area, get in the truck and go. Leave your stuff and call the police, ranger, sheriff, or go to the nearest store you know of and report the incident.
If that doesn't work and you haven't already pulled your weapon, gun, shotgun, spray, white flag, etc. get it out and ready. If the person, persons, are still advancing toward you, you need to have already made the decision of weather you are willing to shoot or not. Center of mass.
The likelihood of this ever happening is very low. You are going to read about this sort of thing happening many many times before it might happen to you.
Before you boondock, drive around the area and get familiar and see who your neighbors are and what they're doing. Decide if you want to stay.
Before you go, try to imagine the different scenarios you think could happen and plan how you would handle each of them. Have a plan and know what you would do before it happens. Preparedness is your friend.
Lastly, have a great trip, post pictures and information for the rest of us, and don't spend your time thinking about or imagining things that most likely never happen.

nstate
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of interesting replies. I respect your question, at least you have the guts to ask. I served our country for over 23 years as a Police Officer and prior as an Infantryman in the Army. Both positions required the use of firearms. I mention this ahead of time because someone is going to challenge my opinion. The OP asks a legitimate question and I feel compelled to share my experience. Sorry if anyone becomes offended, but safety is more important.
I think commonsense(the brain) is by far the greatest weapon, the firearm is the greatest equalizer. Most here haven't ever had a problem during their travels as a result of that commonsense, but mostly luck. Folks, there is SO MUCH "crap" going on around you every single day that you are not aware of. This doesn't suggest your stupid, but it's unfortunately true. The old saying,"you don't know, what you don't know!" It would absolutely shock you to know the dark secrets of your neighbors and the people that you stand next to at the checkstand at a gas station. People who call you paranoid are simply ignorant to this world we live in.
Follow the suggestions of being aware of your surroundings when you park or gather for your stay. Both animals and humans are predators. You can't always spot the attacker, not all of them are sleeved with prison tatoos and are muscle pumped. Some are very crafty and unassumable as they are masters as to entertain their victims.
I think you get the point, but just because most have never seen any danger in their life doesn't mean they haven't been near it. Every one of us has been very lucky. In all my years, I haven't ever been in a traffic collision. Should I stop worrying and drive with disregard? Am I paranoid? Should I surrender my license and not drive? Use the commonsense you've developed your whole life and enjoy our great lands.
I have a friend that's a RCMP officer(Royal Canadian Mounted Police). I am always baffled/amazed when he describes the anti guns laws of Canada. These shock most Americans as our country has such deep history rooted with our right to keep and bear arms. I would die for each American to keep that and all these rights. Therefore, unless your a criminal and/or abuse the right to have a firearm, you can keep it and use it in the defense of your life or great bodily injury. As far a Zimmerman? Well he's alive as are countless others that have used and/or even displayed a firearm to disway a would be attacker. Now having said that, it is your responsibility and yours alone if you choose to display or use it. Therefore, any responsible person should learn safety and become proficient with it along with the laws applicable to the state it is to be possessed.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
those of us who believe in the hand gun carry do so. I have concealed weapon permits for mosof the states I travel in. have never needed to use any force but am ready if need be.